FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Knuckle Oil Leaks

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Stretch93

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:15 pm

Knuckle Oil Leaks

I just bought a Redneck Engineering Chopper with a 103" Flathead Power Knuckle head engine manufactured in 2005 with S & S shorty carb. The engine is practically brand new and hasn't been used much. As I am now putting some miles on it, it has a few drops of oil underneath after every ride. I have been told this is normal for a Knuckle. But how much is normal and what should I do to manage the leaking? It doesn't bother me, just not sure what to expect. Also, does anyone know anything about rated power for this engine? Thanks
<<

BrentCross@Bronko's

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:09 am

Re: Knuckle Oil Leaks

Might be common for an old original knuckle, but probably isn't for your new build. You need to determine exactly where the oil is coming from (eg: breather pipe, oil pump, cam cover, rocker tins, etc.). Depending on how the bike is set up you might have a pending problem or, if it is just say, a little oil misting out of the breather pipe on a freshly built engine, you might have nothing to worry about. A closer look is in order.
<<

OutLaw86

Post Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:05 pm

Know the problem we been fighting this for a long . Had the head redone by Bob White in Ca. and still have an over oiling problem,just redid the up oil feed line by pluging off the fitting and drill a .060 hole for a smaller mount of oil now I hope we got this time .

Yep you'll find that the FHP engine run good but the workmanship suck. When they build my engine they put in 74ci pistons in a 84ci bore hole. And the return oil glan in the rear lifter block was bore so that half of the hole was blocked going back into engine block so oil would back up into the head and I had to redo that.

So this FHP engine which started out at $10000 was stilling costing me with all the work I had to do to fit their srcew ups that was another $3500. I don't think I'll buy another Knuckle I like them but there just too screw up for me. I'm to stick to my Shovelhead & Flathead alot nicer to work on.

Yea I know some you going come back with your bullshit & I do care ! I just hope S&S have got their shit together enough to put out a good product like their other engine they build. I 've got 10608 mile on one of their shovel since this May and all I had to do to it was change oil,filter & a couple of sparkplugs.........
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:48 am

I think you can count on that OutLaw86 . Pa
<<

Curt!

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:07 pm

OutLaw86
I hate to answer a post like this because it's been visited too many times in the past. If I'm not mistaken, you've brought it up a couple of times. We all know there were some quality control issues after Anders sold the company. I don't recall any QC issues when Anders owned FHP. I have spoken to the S&S guys working on the Knuckle motor and they are aware of some problems with the previous renditions of the motor (ahem, engine). They are focused on correcting as many of the problems as possible, and I'm sure they will live up to their reputation for impeccable quality in the product.
It's regrettable that you had problems with your motor (ahem, engine) but you lose a lot of credibility about the problems you endured because of you inability to spell correctly and express accurately the problems you had and what you did to correct them. You seem to be trashing S&S for the sins of the prior ownership, all the while praising them for the quality of their SH motor (ahem, engine). I would ask that you repost exactly your complaints with the engine, the dates the problems were discovered, and the steps you took to correct said problems. And please...... use spell-check before you hit that all important "submit" button.
Have a nice day..... :wink:
Curt!
<<

Lee W

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:45 pm

Curt,Thank you, thank you, thank you! For years I have wondered why there was no spell check on these forums. After reading your post, I looked and looked and finally found it in my browser's toolbar. I feel like and idiot, but now that I know where the spell check is, maybe I won't look so much like one.
<<

OutLaw86

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:04 pm

Hey Curt,
So if I answer all the questions do I get my time & money that was spend on fixing the bad workmanship?
And by the way I wasn't trashing S&S, when this hole thing started I got O help from the the boys at the old FHP.

Yea you have a BLEEP day too...........
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:48 am

:mrgreen: I just noticed that spell check too Lee. :lol: Pa
<<

Curt!

Post Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:38 pm

I use Firefox, so it spell checks every word I write, right?... right. I took a little time to to look over OutLaw86's past posts. He's just baiting us to revisit his worn out old sour grapes. He hasn't added any content to the site outside his bitch about someone else picking the tab up on his poor judgment. I suppose he's going to want the Russians pick up the warranty on his Hummer. :lol: If any of you guys want to revisit this thread, just hit ol' OutLaw86's profile and you can see where this is going.
I think we've beat this dead horse long enough.
Curt!
<<

OutLaw86

Post Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:18 pm

To all
I guess voicing your opinion or bitch as it has been stated on the site is not allowed.

So I guess I'll pack up my bags and move sunnier places............
<<

Curt!

Post Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:35 pm

OutLaw86
You can bitch all you want. That won't change the facts of the case. When you come back a year later and try to run the same game and hope for a different result, you are mistaken. You have no warranty claim with S&S over past owners of the company. Your claim is with them, not S&S. I can't put it in simpler terms than that.
Curt!
<<

OutLaw86

Post Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:43 am

Curt ,
Actual you were the one who bought all back up again ,I just just trying to help out someone with oil leak Problem. And how we have tried to fix the problem .
I didn't bring up the the warranty again you did .As for the (I think we've beat this dead horse long enough.) the horse should have never die in the first place.

Sound like you have a problem with me & that you are so much into yourself to really don't care what people have to say on this forum ( will As long as they agree you do ).

As for S&S I'm sure they will get it all worked out in the end with the Knucklehead. You see I'm not the only who got screwed the old FHP ho shit there I go bitching again ....I'm such a bad boy.

PS. I used spellcheck............See ya

Return to Knuckles