FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

"V" Stamped Motors and Transmission

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

MarkBranst

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:16 pm

"V" Stamped Motors and Transmission

In the last week or so, someone on Ebay was parting out a Knuck motor and a Big Twin 4-speed. Supposedly some of the motor parts (can't remember which) and the tranny gears were stamped with a "V" ... Supposedly, the V was for "Victory" and the parts were somehow related to the Motor Company's racing department ...

Ok, sounds completely bogus to me, but what do I know? Anybody have any more learned thoughts?

Thanks. Merry Xmas. Mark
<<

milwaukee belle

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:18 am

Maybe you can't see on the E-Bay's pic ( coz they are bad quality )
but this V could be the marking of the south african union defence .
in facts : this is a V with something else inside ( a cross or something like that )
the Joe Petrali racer i have built ( " is it a racer or a bobber" topic ) has these markings stamped on crankcases....
<<

Frankenstein

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:47 pm

Seems like I had a '38 3 speed reverse cluster that some of the gears had a "V" stamped in them. Maybe the board member I swapped with will check my memory to see if that's so. Anyhow, can't really believe a 3spd reverse was a race Item! And it was for sure a prewar cluster, by it's syncro design.
Dr Dick
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:05 pm

That 37 BT gearbox I did had a gear with that V on it. I can't remember which gear it was now but I do remember the V meant which way to face the gear in relation to the shaft it was on. Pa

Return to Motorcycle Trivia