Board index Flathead Power- General Announcements and Various Subjects Motorcycle Trivia "V" Stamped Motors and Transmission

"V" Stamped Motors and Transmission

Test your knowledge or someone else's with trivia questions about your favorite subject. Let's be realistic with the questions so everyone has a chance at answering them.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:16 pm

In the last week or so, someone on Ebay was parting out a Knuck motor and a Big Twin 4-speed. Supposedly some of the motor parts (can't remember which) and the tranny gears were stamped with a "V" ... Supposedly, the V was for "Victory" and the parts were somehow related to the Motor Company's racing department ...

Ok, sounds completely bogus to me, but what do I know? Anybody have any more learned thoughts?

Thanks. Merry Xmas. Mark

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:18 am

Maybe you can't see on the E-Bay's pic ( coz they are bad quality )
but this V could be the marking of the south african union defence .
in facts : this is a V with something else inside ( a cross or something like that )
the Joe Petrali racer i have built ( " is it a racer or a bobber" topic ) has these markings stamped on crankcases....

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:47 pm

Seems like I had a '38 3 speed reverse cluster that some of the gears had a "V" stamped in them. Maybe the board member I swapped with will check my memory to see if that's so. Anyhow, can't really believe a 3spd reverse was a race Item! And it was for sure a prewar cluster, by it's syncro design.
Dr Dick

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:05 pm
Pa Site Admin

That 37 BT gearbox I did had a gear with that V on it. I can't remember which gear it was now but I do remember the V meant which way to face the gear in relation to the shaft it was on. Pa

Return to Motorcycle Trivia