FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Commercial garage liability?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Cotten

Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:13 am

Commercial garage liability?

It's time once again for me to go shopping for insurance for my business.

It seems like a ritual every couple of years, as repeatedly I have been dropped for reasons like "We are no longer writing commercial policies" or "We are no longer writing within the State of Illinois", etc.

My current insurer has nearly starved me out of existance with endless delays after a large storm damage claim, my first claim in three decades of business.
My agent has dismissed me, as "too much trouble". I had spoke with him all of three or four times that year.
Other agents cannot find an underwriter because of the claim. You would think that a fresh modernized roof would be less exposure!

So I would like to ask those of you who are USA independent service shops: Who I might try?

Thanks to all in advance,

....Cotten
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:37 pm

Re: Commercial garage liability?

Try Allied Insurance. They are based in Iowa but service Ohio as well. Maybe they will service your state also ?
1-800-282-9445 should steer you towards them. Pa
<<

Cotten

Post Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:45 pm

Pa!

I have my home and wife's auto with Allied, and very happy with them (although I need a new independent agent, obviously).
However they refused to insure my shop because of the recent storm damage claim upon a different company.

It is a strange industry.

Thanks,

....Cotten
<<

Curt!

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:16 am

I'm very interested in this subject, too. I've had Allied and they dropped me. (Don't write policies in Kansas any more) I would like to find a good company for business ins.
Curt!
<<

Curt!

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:20 am

interesting information. don't know much about them....
http://www.techinsurance.com/
Curt!
<<

Cotten

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:56 am

Curt!

None of their business catagories seem to come close; Not even automotive services are listed.
We probably fall under "(If you cannot find your industry and service below, then we cannot provide you with coverage.)"

Without insurance, my state licensing is invalid. "Outlaw" may soon take on a new meaning for me.

....Cotten
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:16 am

I had my shop insured thru Universal Underwriters.
<<

44u

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:38 am

Curt! I don't think I can help Cotten but since you're in KS you might take a look at American Farmers and Ranchers Mutual Insurance Company.
They used to be called Oklahoma Farmers Union and would only insure OK homes, autos, etc. but branched out about a year ago and went through a name change.

Their rates are far cheaper than anyone else I've dealt with and about 2 years ago even insisted on paying me off on a storm damaged roof and windows even though I told them (have done roofing in the past) the roof was not that bad and I'd take care of it myself. They gave me a check for almost 10 grand so I quit arguing.

I think (but not certain) they insure in TX, KS, and maybe CO right now. I've been with them about 16 years with no problems.
<<

Curt!

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:51 am

44U
Thanks, I'll look into them.
Curt!
<<

Curt!

Post Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:17 pm

44U
They aren't servicing Kansas, yet. They hope to be registered here soon, but didn't give me a time frame.
Curt!

Return to Shoot The Bull