Information for your consideration.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:38 pm

Information for your consideration.

Interesting, to say the least ! Pa

Google has implemented a new feature which enables you to type a telephone number into the search bar and hit enter and you will be given the person's name and address. If you then hit Map Quest, you will get a map to the person's house. Everyone should be aware of this! It's a nationwide reverse telephone book.
If a child gives out his/her phone number, someone can now look it up to find out where he/she lives. The safety issues are obvious, and alarming.
Note that you can have your phone number removed or blocked. I tried my number and it came up along with the map quest and directions straight to our house. I did fill out the removal form for myself, and encourage all of you to do the same. Quite scary.
Please look up your own number.
In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, go to Google http://www.google.com/
<<

john HD

Post Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:59 pm

Re: Information for your consideration.

thanks for the heads up PA i just had my number removed by google.

john
<<

DeltaMike

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:08 am

Pa wrote:Interesting, to say the least ! Pa

In order to test whether your phone number is mapped, go to Google http://www.google.com/

How do I get from Google.com to the page where I fill in my phone number please Pa?

Thanks, DeltaMike
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:25 am

I did it and it showed my name and city. no address.
<<

Kurt

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:39 am

Mine didn't show up.....could be because it's unlisted. But it does give links to companies that for a small fee say they can find out for you.
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:49 am

I Googled my phone #. It is unlisted and has been for the last 25 years. Google lists mine thus:FLATHEADPOWER.COM-TECH TALK • View topic - Knucklenutz Forum
715-xxx-xxxx JKE. john k. endrizzi: Posts: 577; Joined: Thu Dec 09, 1999 7:01 am; Location: nekoosa,wisconsin,usa. Top. Display posts from previous: ...
flatheadpower.com/tech/viewtopic.php?f=21&p=69782 - 12k - Cached - Similar pages
Beware ! If you post your phone number anywhere it will be on record.
JKe
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:26 am

You type your phone number into the search bar at Google, then hit search. The next page will show whether or not you are in their data base and it will also provide map links to your home.

Ain't that something John. I don't even wonder anymore what might come next.

Google doesn't know where you live ?? Knew there was something alien about you Chris. :wink: Just pokin a bit of fun Bro . :D :D

While you folks are checking, try using some of the photographic satilite maps on your address. Again...interesting :?: Pa
<<

DeltaMike

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:43 pm

Pa wrote:You type your phone number into the search bar at Google, then hit search.

Thanks Pa.
It looks like we haven't got that "facility" in England.
Yet.

Regards, DeltaMike

<<

indianut

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:53 pm

Believe it or not this has been this way for at least 2 years now!!! This is why YOU MUST only use a cell phone # in any type of ad. I had someone SHOW UP at my house, and I live in a VERY PRIVATE place when I placed a classified ad 2 years ago! This is how they got a MAP to my place! All these people who put their phone # on Georges or Craigslist are asking for trouble. Yes you can have yourself removed from Google, but you can bet there are plenty of other places on the net that are the same!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:01 pm

Search engines such as Google, Yahoo, Mamma, etc.., all have the capabilities to browse websites and the like. Gov [fed, state, local], utilities, banking institutions, etc., sell our info to each other. How many spam emails do we all receive daily ? How much snail mail spams do we all get weekly ? How many telephone solicitors call ? Can be a real pain sometimes ! Pa
<<

sleeper

Post Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:14 pm

Thanks Pa,

Big Brother is everywhere...
<<

john HD

Post Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:11 am

if you want big brother go here http://www.zillow.com/?kwg=zillo

john
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:59 pm

Noticed last years leaves still in your rain gutters Sleeper. Best get them cleaned out before this years leaves fall. :wink: Seriously folks........you can dang near do that ! Zoom in that close via stailite that is. Check out the weather channels when they zoom down in ! Can't even take a leak in the backyard anymore without eyes on ya :shock: Pa

Return to Shoot The Bull