FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

I just read that S&S bought Flathead Power... is it true

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Knucklehead Steve

Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:15 pm

I just read that S&S bought Flathead Power... is it true

A longstanding customer-vendor relationship between S&S and Flathead Power helped facilitate the deal for S&S. Senior Manager of Race and Customer Services, Charlie Hadayia, and Business Development Analyst, Tom Smith, brought the opportunity to the attention of S&S president, Brett Smith, where it was quickly determined to research the opportunity and make an offer. The deal closed today, July 25th, with Hadayia “on the ground” in Louisiana to package and load all the assets for shipment to the S&S facility in Viola, WI.

Since the fall of last year, S&S has been researching and pursuing opportunities to expand their product line and their overall market penetration. Flathead Power, a company that services classic/vintage engine lines and components dating back to 1936, was a perfect compliment for the S&S product line and brand.

S&S Director of Business Development, Michael Scaletta stated, “This is an exciting time for S&S with the purchase of Flathead Power. The acquisition of this Flathead Power’s assets and trade-name will allow S&S to sell complete engine assemblies and aftermarket components from 1936 year groups through 2007.” Scaletta continued, “Few—if any—companies worldwide have, or will have, the breadth of coverage for v-twin performance aftermarket parts that we will following this deal. The classic/vintage market has been underserved, with pent up demand. S&S is committed to servicing this demand while producing quality Proven Performance® products with a high level of customer service.”

“Some time ago, the S&S board agreed to establish a business development department to look at new opportunities for the company and this acquisition—our first in nearly 50 years of business—is the result of the formulation of that department,” said S&S president, Brett Smith. “I want to thank Charlie and Tom for their insight, the team that went down there to investigate this opportunity, and Michael for working out the details for the closing.” Smith went on to say, “We are very pleased to have worked out this deal with Doug and John [Dilsaver—former owners of Flathead Power] and we are committed to further developing the products they have traditionally offered under the existing Flathead Power brand—something we value and we believe the market values. Additionally, we believe that our trained global dealer network will be a necessary and valuable asset in promoting, selling, and servicing these classic/vintage products worldwide.”

Since S&S currently plans to maintain the Flathead Power brand, it will redesign and update the Flathead Power website, maintain the address, and link it both to and from the S&S website. Additionally, unlike the S&S website where forum groups have been eliminated, the Flathead Power website forum will remain in place for the foreseeable future.

Due to low volume nature of this niche product line and the anticipated technical support requirements, S&S intends to offer this product directly through its domestic dealers and through select international distributors only.

S&S plans to reintroduce the Flathead Power product line at the V-Twin Expo in Cincinnati in early February, 2008 with availability during April, 2008.
<<

epinut

Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:45 pm

<<

pan flat out

Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:16 pm

What about a link, to the source of this seeming press release??

Seeing you've posted it as fact on the Horse board & who knows where else as a copy/paste, how about the source-link?
<<

Knucklehead Steve

Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:06 pm

It came in my mail.... its an S&S newsletter

so I cant post a link, but maybe theres something on the S&S web page about it.
<<

Plumber

Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:27 pm

Additionally, we believe that our trained global dealer network will be a necessary and valuable asset in promoting, selling, and servicing these classic/vintage products worldwide.”

Guess that ties in with the current 49 states and future World Test Cycle EPA initiated standards (which will include the current one-kit-bike-per-person-per lifetime) market. Yeah. There was always a tiny thread of kit build existance intact through all of this.
Now hopefully, we'll see slot-screwed 8-ribbed cam covers on S&S cases (w/ 1/4-24 Heli-Coils® factory installed upon request). Then, maybe S&S can help V-Twin perfect their cast iron pump, and put a real brass seat inside the body of the iron pump for the chain-oiler, if any of us want to keep a chain primary.
I'll try and get some promo/product flyers sent to me from S&S, to hand out with those discount coupons we're Johnny Applesseding around Colorado in September. Congratulations! A good deal is whenever both parties are happy.
I'd like to be at the April '08 celebration/pilgrimage my own self. Adventure :!:
<<

epinut

Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:57 pm

<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:04 pm

Plumber,

"I'd like to be at the April '08 celebration/pilgrimage my own self".

Save some $ from your latest book and show up. We'll turn you on to Point Special Beer. And I challenge to a Race....... My S&S cased/FHP Knucklehead against your Tedd Knuckle. You threw that gauntlet down a couple of years ago....... Let's DO IT !
JOHN K. ENDRIZZI[/quote]
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
<<

Plumber

Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:25 pm

Oh, I could do that 8) I have a Bruce Lichtenberg, Cycle Products, single-rail fold-up trailer. Point me in the direction of Cincinatti. As for Point Beer, I was ruined from pale lager by Beck's dark, but I'll share a pint just to be polite.
It's easier for me to rent a pickup crew-cab with a hitch, then drive my heap. Unfortunately, my bottom end is Stett-Bilt OEM El w/ 74 wheels, but my top end is pure V-Twin - ductile cast iron. It's a Calif. titled antique Knuckle with KH mufflered shotguns. Sounds good too.
I'm bringing my wife, so I hope you don't mind losing a race, endurance or otherwise, in front of a girl.
Let's find someone who has a booth at Cinci, I'll rent a corner of their display table so we can roll our machines in there. If the V-Twin knuckle bleeds from the head, it bleeds, but I have that floor tray.
I'll bring some books to defray expenses, bring somebody to sell them. We'll make a split.
Last edited by Plumber on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:11 pm

Plumber,
Bring the little woman along. No embarassment factor there. If you like Becks, you will love Point Pale Ale. S&S isn't that difficult to find....... GOOGLE IT ! BTW the PARTY is reported to be taking place at the S&S LaCrosse, Wi Training Center. I don't own a stock displacement Knucklehead so maybe we'll have to do a set-up ala PINKS ?
JKE
<<

Plumber

Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:18 pm

PINKS

not. I'm no gambler and not much for alcohol either.
Maybe we better make that a performance contest, something that pits not machine against machine, but rather public opinion vs. public opinion.
3/16" steel tubing vs. polybutalyne. Mufflered 74 inch (albiet, KH barrel) vs. 90 +. No surge vs. surge.
Last edited by Plumber on Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:57 pm

Plumber,
No problem I'm open for suggestions!
JKE
<<

Plumber

Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:45 pm

Oh yea.. Cinci's in Feb. Possibly too much ice to drive with a trailer.
What's the date for the S&S party? Put the party off until there's no black ice on roads under the trees. May and September are good months anywhere in the northern hemisphere.
Days before the party, we ride them on a road run through the hills on good asphalt. Lots of long winding curves, with no radical switch-backs. Each machine is trailed by a pickup truck with a bed mounted video. We'll run both films in parallel later (same course, different machines) for comparison, back at S&S, on a huge screen in the great room, and let people make their own judgement about 74 & 90 + inch - the 74" running an FX shifter cam, '59-up jockey top, stock 4-spd trans. vs. your's with what, 90+ inches and a tank shift? ? Are you beginning to see the grim comparisons? I would have an unfair advantage in that scenario, and a disadvantage cu. in against cu. in.
The event should be judged on flow, handling, and whose leaks the most when it's over - since riding is our purpose and not drag racing. Or, run the same course at the same time, or different times, and see who runs the fastest ET from point A to point B. Make sure there's alot of banked curves though, and not oval-topped farm roads....I like un-weighting through the apexes. :wink:
Wisconsin's no hop, skip and jump from here either. La Crosse is above and top the west of Milwaukee. That's a haul. I'll need to figure out a way to install a sock over my Knuckle or suffer a sand blast on the way to and fro. Maybe shrink-wrap the whole machine both ways. Where do you live, like 50 miles away from La Crosse? It's looking more distant, the more I work through the logistics. Think of something else.

Return to Shoot The Bull