FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New Buell/Butax 1125R has Austrian Made Rotax Vtwin

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:28 pm

That is nothing new. The Armstrong military bike that Harley-Davidson built for 15 years had a Rotax engine.

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/arms030307.html
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:32 pm

While the 125CC Harley and the BSA Bantum were clones of the German NSU the 125CC engine was made in Milwaukee.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:33 pm

American bike ?? Jap, English, German ?? Don't matter what bike you buy. It isn't all made there. Welcome to the new world order folks. I don't mind the international ties in manufacturing one bit. What I mind is........whether it is quality or inferior. Perfect that??? I'll be content. Pa
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:19 am

I don't see where I would have much choice. As far as waving the flag goes, I don't wave it because of the ride I'm on or in. And you are damn right. Someone ought to manufacture a completely produced American made bike. I will say that about all products as well. I extend the suggestion to all manufacturing nations also. All nations can produce a bike, auto, truck, pc, whatever...........Trade amoung nations can be made even so. I choose a German coo coo clock over a tiawan one. Another may choose differently. I do not like components spread out across the globe trade. I have no issues with raw materials trade or totally produced and manufactured in one nation, products trade. I do have issues with building products out of components manufactured all over the globe with a particular nations claim to producing the end product, such as we make claims to. My comments previously are directed at the facts which I have no control over. In this global economy, my choices are quality or inferior only. Pa
<<

44u

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:38 am

I would not be surprised one bit to see HD move operations to China or India one of these days; say within the next 15-20 years. Got to keep those major stockholders smiling by coming up with something new.

With an overseas engine or made completely overseas, it's not an American bike IMHO.
The Harley name is a legend and JMHO, but once this starts the legend will really be tarnished.

Why would a Chinese built Harley be any different than a collection of Chinese parts assembled and sold under a different name?
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:57 pm

Contrary to popular opinion Harley-Davidson does not have anything in their clothing line made by any particular manufacturer. They buy their clothing items from distributors right here in the USA. It is the distributors that have the goods made overseas. The distributors submit samples of their products to H.-D. without disclosing where it is made and H.-D. selects the items they feel meet their specifications. I was highly surprised to find a T shirt that was actually made in the USA a few days ago.

Return to Shoot The Bull