FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Re-Building V-Twin Knuckle & Pan Motors & 4spd Trann

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Plumber

Post Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:26 pm

Re-Building V-Twin Knuckle & Pan Motors & 4spd Trann

Since I have your attention at the moment, imagine the market created if the last dots are connected to the kit build industry.
Tell me why this wouldn't work:
A jobber that already builds motors somewhere, enters into an agreement with V-Twin® where he buys Knuckle and Pan motors and 4 spd trannys from Tedd at a dealer, or better than dealer price. Tedd supplys the replacement parts (just like the factory did to their dealerships) of any parts the jobber needs to repair V-Twin motors or trannys. Open account, so the jobber sends parts back to V-Twin as he finds bad ones. V-Twin ships parts whenever the jobber needs them. Everything that ships, ships on V-Twin's UPS account #. Jobber sees nothing but parts and return paperwork (one piece of paper with an RGA number one it).
Jobber then sells the motors and transmissions to kit people (kit-niks) for an ** exorbitant amount of money.
The customer is now getting a "Motor Shop" ready motor and transmission, guaranteed. He just had to pay alot for it.
How many motors and trannys from Tedd do you think the jobber is going to need to pull apart (to whatever extent necessary), before the jobber realizes what is wrong with the motor or trans? Two or three of them? I bet the jobber can even figure out what he has to watch for, just by who the employees are, at V-Twin, that put it together. I have a photo of flywheels being torqued at V-Twins facility, so don't say they aren't manufacturers.
I watched Stett repair my V-Twin 4spd transmission. He's good. He diagnosed and repaired it for $250. Other people around the country are good. Other people can diagnose and repair these main components.
You can build a one-kit-bike per lifetime, EPA emissions exempt. What are we waiting for? People want a tapered sprocket shaft motor with an 8 ribbed cam cover - if you could sell them one than ran dependably.
Tell me what's wrong with this outline.

** Whats exorbitant?? If we were in the pits at NASCAR and the mechanics were talking about replacing Kyle Petty's camshaft and pistons, etc. (after every race), and they mentioned the cost, you wouldn't be complaining to them about how much you spent for and entire guaranteed replica Knuckle or Pan motor or tranny, they'd laugh at you.
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:50 am

Kit-niks ride Sputniks and are all called Ivan! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
JKE
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:55 am

Re: Re-Building V-Twin Knuckle & Pan Motors & 4spd T

Plumber shares his extreme knowledge wit us by saying,
** Whats exorbitant?? If we were in the pits at NASCAR and the mechanics were talking about replacing Kyle Petty's camshaft and pistons, etc. (after every race), and they mentioned the cost, you wouldn't be complaining to them about how much you spent for and entire guaranteed replica Knuckle or Pan motor or tranny, they'd laugh at you.[/quote]\

So what does a multi-million dollar operation like the Petty Racing team have to do with some schmuck that gets screwed over by Taiwan Tedd's inferior merchandise? Tedd's quality control in nonresistant. Buy his stuff and pay the price. Or build your own motor from quality parts that are the right ones to fit the application.
Plumber, your logic, or lack of it, is amazing.
<<

Plumber

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:25 am

We'll see how it all plays out in the distant future. It's going to be interesting. There's already alot of money and years invested. Let's see what happens.
One thing seems for sure, we're going to lose this FHP website in the near future.
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:41 am

Then Plumber, you'll be S.O.L. for a place to post your Re-Pop Ramblings ! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
JKE
<<

hillbilly

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:40 pm

Being new around here I’m not all that familiar with who does what or who is connected with FHP. But if you think this site is in danger of going away a proactive approach is our best bet. It’s time to start a discussion about what needs to be done to keep this site up and going. Before it's to late. :idea:
<<

Kurt

Post Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:52 pm

This site will always have a place to go. I wouldn't worry one bit.

Kurt
<<

MarkBranst

Post Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:03 am

Thanks Kurt.

Mark
<<

Andrew J. Hester

Post Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:45 am

HB -

Go over to the Iron Motors Tech site and register. John created that one when the FHP site was in danger before. It is active, with much the same membership as here. There's too much of a knowledge base here for this group to die. If the FHP forum cannot be sustained, members here are already members at a number of other sites, and can que everyone else as to where to pick up and continue.

Jack
<<

Admin

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:12 am

just to let you guys know, i have anything to do with it at all this forum will continue just as is. i'm playing a few things by ear at the moment to see if some things pan out that i'm working on. depending on what happens here in the near future, i will make sure someone reputable takes over this site and possibly one of you guys here can have it passed on to you. at the moment its not going anywhere.
<<

Plumber

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:25 am

Cool! Someone should call Tedd and ask for a below dealer price for a motor and transmission as a test, with the plan of re-manufacturing them both and sell them for what you need to sell them for, or send them back to Tedd and let him sell them - work out a deal like that. If V-Twins motors are like the 4spd transmission he sent me (returned and sent back still not working), then they won't work, or for very long. Think about it. Everything is already assembled in the motor's and trans. You'd be taking the motor and trans. apart, and using your shop equipment to go over them and make them right. How often does an opportunity like this come around? Video tape it. Broadcast it. List the things wrong with it. Fix it.
Start with their 74" Pan motors with the OEM style spigot exhaust - fewer motor parts. Make "Motor Shop Ready" stand for something.
YOU CAN'T PAY PEOPLE MINIMUM WAGE AND EXPECT CONSISTENT WORKING MOTORS and TRANNYS. YOU CAN PAY CHINA LABOR RATES FOR PARTS, BUT NOT ASSEMBLY, NOT ON THE SMALL SCALE THAT OUR MARKET IS AT. So what if a motor that runs has to sell for 10-16K instead of 8.5K, it's better than having them sit on a shelf in Newburg or K.C., or on a UPS return loop. At least try to get a prototype kit out there on the road.
People that have the mechanical ability, tools, garage space and money would build kits, if they saw someone else building them and riding them.
What would Authur Davidson do? He went to the farmers. They always had money at harvest time :!:

Return to Shoot The Bull