FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

FHP?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

hillbilly

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:12 pm

FHP?

Doe’s anyone know why it is so difficult to get a response from FHP? I’ve sent emails and left phone messages. Any help would be appreciated. :?:
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:15 pm

My guess would be that they don't want to do any business. Certinally they still can't be suffering from Katrina at this late date.
<<

hillbilly

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:25 pm

Heck if they needed some help getting parts made there are machine shops every were that they could farm work out to making some thing on a part is better than nothing not to mention what this is doing to their reputation. It’s to bad they seam to have a good product line.
<<

Plumber

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:34 pm

I'd say we're lucky to have a site and hope their business is doing good. Got any idea how hard it is to stay in business? Farm work out?...try going into business and "farming work out".
Sort of hard to post topics when there's no website.
Certinally they still can't be suffering from Katrina at this late date.
Whaddayanutz?
<<

hillbilly

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:48 pm

I couldn’t agree more with being lucky to have the site. I also hope their business is going strong. But customer service is important. As for farming work out, no question it is not easy but having run a machine shop for close to 20 years and having used subcontractors for just as long it’s often the best option when you cannot keep up with the workload. Obviously I don’t not know all the reasons it’s been difficult to contact them but if it’s a workload problem farming work out is an option. Hell with all the contacts I have here in Chicago I’d be glad to help if I could even contact them.
<<

hillbilly

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:03 pm

By the way this is the first time I’ve posted here. I get on a lot of forum sites for information on lots of subjects. This place is special compared to most but you already know that. So many sights are basically stagnant or full of nitwits the core community here is different. Or so it appears.
<<

Plumber

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:42 pm

welcome. we fix stuff here. 8)
Last edited by Plumber on Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:43 pm

Thank you Plumber ! I don't have any news on the company than any of you do. Rumors galore........ I'll post news as I hear it. FROM THE HORSES MOUTH. If I were not the site moderator I'd be here anyhow. This site is only one of a few I personally would recommend. I learn from it as well. I have been a long standing member for years and I plan on staying one. Long Live FHP !! Pa
<<

Admin

Post Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:34 am

Hey guys, i guess its time for me to at least give everyone some insight about what's going on here at FHP. because of certain internal problems beyond my control and a few things that just plain blindsided me, the future of FHP is very up in the air at the moment. a couple of months ago, scott handed in his resignation and stef followed suit also. i am here literally by myself trying to pick up the pieces and getting done what i can to help out the customers with what i have left.

i have to apologize to everyone about not answering the phone or emails except for a select few but it doesnt do much good for me talk to people about parts or engines when i cant supply them anyway. i didnt want to give anyone false hopes about getting parts i didnt have or couldnt get. "lots" of promises were made to me about parts getting cast and machined and they were empty for the most part. i cant sell "air" or parts i dont have as some would want you to believe.

as of right now FHP has "no" machining" capability and the company is not setup to operate totally on "outside" vendors. you're right "hillbilly", when a company needs some help to keep up with demand, you go looking for someone to help out with that which i tried to do on several occasions but was shut down on that. you also cant pay a "subcontractor" to do all the work at retail prices because that wont last very long also when you're the little guy.

i have been the one on here for the last year and a half as "admin" trying to help out the members with problems when i had time. i have been the one on the phone talking to customers and people and trying to help out with what i can. we brought the company over here from sweden as we thought anders had a good product and wanted to try and improve on it and get parts out to customers faster than what was getting done at the time. we accomplished that for awhile but i feel others saw the company and situation as a stepping stone for personal advancement and the basic needs of the company to continue in business and make money fell by the wayside rather quickly.

i have been here just about every day for the last 3 years trying to make things go but i cant do it by myself anymore. one person can only do so much and i still need a personal life too which hasnt happened for awhile. i've been too busy just trying to pay the bills and take care of customers. as i said, i'm here trying to finish up jobs i have in the shop now and getting what parts i have out to customers. i'm trying my best to finish up orders or provide refunds to people who have put deposits down on parts that i cant provide anymore. i dont want to leave anyone hanging if i can help it at all as i dont believe in doing business that way. i try to treat people as i would want to be treated, thats just the way i am. if there is anyone that any members know of that i need to talk with about pending orders or anything of that nature, i would appreciate that you pass the word about that.

where does all this leave FHP? aside from anders small interest in the company (he is still a partner) my family owns controlling interest in the company. as far as i'm concerned right now, if someone walks in the door tomorrow with a reasonable offer for all the assets and inventory of FHP, they can leave owning the company. my family has made a concious decision that we do not want to start a machine shop from scratch to keep the company going. that was never the plan as scott was supposed to hold up that end of it but now he's gone. we have just decided to try and find someone to take FHP and continue on with it.

now is a good time for someone to continue on with it as i have people calling and emailing everyday for parts and engines. there is plenty of business out there to keep 2 or 3 people busy here in the shop if the parts were on the shelves to supply them. i have here in my possession all the patterns that FHP owns to cast the parts, machining fixtures, programming, a decent supply of varied inventory on the shelves, polishing equipment, a computerized engine dyno and various other items that will go also. aside from personal tools and a few minor things, everthing will go that we have. the buyer will also have an established customer and dealer base ready to go.

this does not mean we are desperate or destitute by no means. i wont accept any ridiculous offers to try and steal things. this is business and will be handled accordingly. i will continue to sell things that i have for the moment and try to help out anyone i can. i am talking to a couple different people at the moment about the company but there is nothing definite on the table as of yet. if any of you guys are interested or know anyone that may be, please send them my way. i wont talk any particulars here but only in confindence with someone and it will stay in confindence until such a time as a sale can be done. i have a certain range of price that i am looking at but everything is negotiable. if someone walks in with a reasonable offer in the price range i want, they can have it. i wont hold it for anyone and play the bidding war just to drive the price up.

i will also do what i can on this end for a buyer to get going and make the transition as easy as possible. do i really want to do this? not at all. i like doing what i'm doing and want to see FHP continue on and grow. i just cant do it by myself anymore so this is the next option for me regardless if its the option i really want. if there are some serious inquiries out there and not just curious onlookers, you can reach me at doug@flatheadpower.com. any and all comments are welcome and i'll try to answer general comments time permitting. all business inquiries will be handled professionally and timely.

i would also like to take a minute to thank Pa for all he has done to try and keep this forum straight and running especially with all the problems we have on this end pertaining to the internet and all the sofware and hardware issues still left over from the hurricanes 2 years ago. i know it sounds like old excuses but the whole system down here still runs on basically band aids and patches. if there are any questions that Pa can help with, i'm sure he will be glad to do what he can, all you need to do is ask. he will get with me on anything he cant handle.

there you have it guys, right from the "horses mouth" as you would say. its crunch time now, if you want this forum to continue as it needs to, if you want FHP products to continue to be supplied to people all over the world as they need to be, do what you can to help me out with this issue. i am appealing to the combined "brainpower" of all the members as it is a large asset that is possessed here. this is not a "superficial" website. this site contains lots of people with a high degree of knowledge and expertise on plenty of things besides motorcycles. i'm just hoping a small part of it is thrown my way to get this issue worked out. thanks for listening to my babbling here and i'll be looking forward to hearing from you.
Last edited by Admin on Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Curt!

Post Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:15 pm

Sorry to hear about your troubles. It's one of the toughest things in the world to see a business you've put so much time and money into come up short.
Having said that, it's been apparent for quite a while that you were underfunded and using assets haphazardly. Anders was the face of this company and he brought a lot of goodwill to it. I'm sure he would have been an asset in raising operating capital. The parting of ways between you and he was a blow to the reputation of the company.
You should have concentrated on the core business and sold off assets like the plans for the Big Twin cases and related parts when times started to get tough.
I can't say what mistakes you've made, but as an outside observer I can guess that many could have been avoided. There is a market for your product as you stated. Underlying all of this is basically a lack of funding to do the job properly. I'm sure that's why Anders sold control of the company to you, hoping that you could provide that financial boost to get FHP off the ground. Smart manufacturing and marketing would have brought the price per unit down and would have brought a larger market. The key would be to have enough cash to manufacture in large enough quantities to cut costs while being able to set on parts until the market caught up.
On the other hand, I don't really know what I'm talking about and an certainly no better businessman than you. All I can say is that the loss of this company would be a setback to those of us that love the Old Iron.
Curt!
<<

Admin

Post Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:13 pm

for the most part i'm going to leave this topic alone for awhile but i do need to say one thing. i appreciate the words of condolence Curt but one thing i think is out of line is unless you have a copy of our financial statements and other paper work that i dont know about, i dont know how you can sit there and say where, how and when money was spent and you dont know what assets the company and i have or dont have. "no" one knows the complete story except for the ones involved here and i hope that everyone else who reads my post sticks with the topic at hand.

"uninformed assumptions" do nothing but create good gossip for people to talk about and spread rumors that have no basis or creditable information behind them to back statements up with. i'm educated enough to see that i didnt like what i saw was going on so i said "enough is enough". instead of trying to run down our business practices first and then say you dont know what you're talking about (as you said in your statement) it might have been best to not say anything derogatory to start with.
<<

Plumber

Post Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:06 pm

Having said that, it's been apparent for quite a while that you were underfunded and using assets haphazardly. Anders was the face of this company and he brought a lot of goodwill to it. I'm sure he would have been an asset in raising operating capital. The parting of ways between you and he was a blow to the reputation of the company.

You should have concentrated on the core business and sold off assets like the plans for the Big Twin cases and related parts when times started to get tough.

The key would be to have enough cash to manufacture in large enough quantities to cut costs while being able to set on parts until the market caught up.

All the wrong words imo .
On the other hand, I don't really know what I'm talking about and an certainly no better businessman than you.

Thanks for taking us along this far Doug, it's been a real slice of life we wouldn't have otherwise had.

Whatever the outcome of FHP, I hope we can try and save this site or transfer it to Pa and let him run it if he wants. Plan now. Set it up as a donation site like Panheads if need be, whatever it takes. It will be a lot of work to keep it up, to the level it's at now.
Last edited by Plumber on Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:35 pm

Plumber,
YOU better watch out how you throw that PUTZ word around or YOU will be the one setting yourself up for a libel suit!
John K. Endrizzi

P.S. Paul I respectfully request that you remove the threat that has been leveled at Curt!. Surely he meant no disrespect toward Doug or others that hold FHP.
<<

Plumber

Post Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:58 pm

The next challenge will be to accept the fact, that the very next opportunity for growth, is for someone to buy Knuckle and Panhead motors and 4 spd transmissions from V-Twin®; then take the motors and transmissions aparrt, to the extent of making them truly "Motor Shop Ready". That's the first challenge. Or even, someone like Accurate Engineering, to use Tedd crankcases and Tedd knuckle heads and build dependable tapered shaft motors like they should be. [Four-fin bottom ends never cut-it for me because (in the minority) I prefer replica, vs hi-performance. But that's me.]
The next challenge is to get the enthusiast's in the 49 states to accept the extra added $300 to $2,000. extra cost to the motors or transmissions to get one that really looks OEM. The enthusiast's for the most part have a mis-conception, in expecting that an out-of-the-box motor or trans. was "Motor Shop Ready". If it doesn't work, taking it back isn't working either is it? You have to fix it yourself.
Tedd Cycle needs help to the next step...someone to make their motors and transmissions work. Then, you have something new. People can live for it. Give them a replica motor and 4spd they can count on, and let them build the rest of it getting tips online. See?
Last edited by Plumber on Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

hillbilly

Post Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:02 pm

Having put so much time and energy in to FHP, contemplating walking away can’t be easy. While it’s always easy for an outsider to give advice and I don’t want to sound like I’m suggesting a perfect solution here. As long as you think you can fulfill your current obligations to customers or provide refunds all is not lost. I was once in a similar situation a year or two after starting a business, to many orders to little time and to be honest poor management by me. My answer was to finish up what remaining work I had, shut down for a little over a year and work for some one else. One major difference between my situation and yours was I didn’t have a product line so my investment in tools, fixtures & castings wasn’t out of pocket as each job paid it’s own way. I did have a substantial investment in machinery. Non-the-less if possible you should at least consider shutting down and taking some time to evaluate what you have been able to accomplish and what you were not. It’s often difficult to see the whole picture when the stress level is high. I was able to get back into business by working with outside machine shops, this way my time was not tied up trying to run machines and run the business at the same time. Once I had enough volume I was able to purchase some equipment and hire employees though it sounds like you are not interested in trying to get a machine shop started. I learned from my mistakes and there were many. For what it’s worth back in
the early 80’s there was a little company near Chicago called “Classic Counterfeiters” They or should I say we made repops of the early 3 piece VL & UL valve covers we started to tool up to make spotlights and a few other things than the partnership fell apart. Other than a few samples all that is left are a few good and a few sour memories. I wish I had stuck with it who knows what I’d have made by now. Best of luck hope it all works out.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:07 pm

Poor ole Plumber is under the inpression that Ted actually makes something. All Ted is, is a distrubutor. While he may pay people to make things V-Twin is not a manufacturer.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:18 pm

There you have it Folks !! FROM THE HORSES MOUTH !!! Curt , Pliumber...Two of my good friends indeed !! Things you both know and don't know will have to take presidence though. You both know me well. What either of you have held in convidence with me, you know have stayed just that. Thus is the same with FHP. Until I heard it straight where it should come from, I had nothing to report. The background story isn't any of my business. Anders is my friend also. Remember how much he put up with me ???? That says it all....doesn't it ??? Doug is my close friend as well. He put quite a bit up with me too !! Thank you Doug !!!! I was offered explanations if I wanted to hear them. Doug knows me....I didn't want to hear them. I said.........we are getting into a topic which is none of my business. Doug respected that attitude. Best part of my part in this was....like Anders, Doug didn't place me in a situation where I had to explain. With , I think we can all agree, Anders, loved by all, only saw me as a member. Not to be-little membership in no means, as a title, but moderator and on up, sets new standards for affiliatiion. Responsibility becomes factually prominant It holds to ones credibility, as one, who over sees his responsibilty. Details of how things went down seem meaningless when ones looks at the whole picture of things that transpired. Like all of you, I heard rumors. THE HORSES MOUTH is what I hold truth to. The HORSES MOUTH FROM the Anders days to the HORSES MOUTH TO Dougs' days. FHP manufactures quality products !! They did so when Anders ran it outright. They did so when Doug ran it outright !! All parties set a qoal for quality !! I said it already....LONG LIVE FHP !!! Anders, Doug, the next affliate,......LONG LIVE FHP quality !! Since FHPs' inception, I and many others, who are long standing members, of FHPs' tech talk forum, along with the thousands of others, who have joined on in support of the forums strength, knowledge base, brotherhood, and like mentalities, that we all find in common, on this great and wonderful forum, have continued the discussions of facts, ideas, and theories of the motorcycle world, with the intent to help, educate, and inform the novice, and those with the hunger to learn, the passion that we all are here for. I personally have seen the better side of our compatible brotherhood. From humanitiarian projects, like the urn project, to full scope buil;ds pesented by the builders themselves. Mathmatics from "I won't say" He knows he who is though !! :wink: To complete demonstrations from all parts of the globe. Pic posting, drawings, never before seen photography, detailed instruction, feedback to finish, .....Where could you find this elsewhere???? From a company product view....how many companies can show a product with such professional focus on design and manufacturing and still provide a forum where all other products have a window to represent themselves ??? I focus this next comment of mine on you, the business man and manufacturer, who follow the posts presented here. I have been where you are today. Standing and overlooking my full line, from the office down to the production line, asking myself, from whom do I ask for opinion, and whom is the right individual to seek this info????? The laymen !!! The person who produces the product !! What can I learn from him ??? I can learn evrything from him !! He can advise me on the design, the machinability limits, all the bascic fundimentals of the products. His skillful craftsmanship brings me customer feedback !!! The customer is extremely pleased with my product and it's quality !! The demand FOR MY PRODUCT IS GREAT! The market is worth the production !! It will be profitable !!!! I know this ! You know this !!! LONG LIVE THE FHP line of PRODUCTS !!! With all due respect to our host and all others who view this topic,,,,, Pa

P.S. Thank you for your concern John. I do not see a threat to Curt. I would back Curt 100% if such a case should arise, which it won't. Take that comment to the bank ! I know him well. He is an honest. outstanding, and he is a generous man just as "you are ". Bank on that comment also. Curt voiced his opinion. No more, no less. FHP is in a transition period where it has found itself before. It survived then ! We pray...it will survive it again !! I've been lucky enough to see the company through great management control in those transition periods. My prayer is... I will continue to see, solid hands, as in the past, throughout its' future, at its' helm. Pa
<<

George Greer

Post Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:32 pm

Simplistic View of mine.........

Call Anders back

Try and use some of the board members assistance for the time being..

Good luck, and hope it works out, I at times would be at a loss without the experience and knowledge of the fine people here.

George
<<

Curt!

Post Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:39 pm

Boy, did I step into a pile of......... I thought about doing a Panic and deleting the whole post, but that leaves everyone wondering what was said, often times imagining the offense was worse than it actually was. Largely, my point was that there wasn't a problem that could not have been solved with more money. I may have made assumptions and accusations that were incorrect and for that I apologize.
I'm sorry if I hit a raw nerve, Doug. I was just voicing my opinion as an observer. I have not seen your balance sheet. I have no idea how much money you've dumped into FHP, and I don't know your financial condition at this point in time. What I do know is that you say you have lots of customers willing to pay what you ask for products you produce. I never questioned the quality of your products. The question is why can't you produce the product? Isn't that something more money could solve? Are you selling your product for less than it costs you to produce? I was speculating on what may have been possible to increase cash on hand or to reduce expenses.

As far as Plumber's comments are concerned.... I don't feel threatened by him in the least... one just has to peruse his posts to get a sense of his bullshit factor. He never misses an opportunity to take a cheap shot at me or a number of other members of this board. Everyone knows his credibility is suspect. Plumber, I'm not Jewish but I assume putz is a derogatory reference. It sinks to your level of vocabulary.

pa, I never asked you to betray a confidence and never will. I believe my post was seen as an attack on Doug, and it was not. It was posted as constructive criticism and apparently was taken wrong by several people. The point of a discussion board is to discuss topics. If Doug didn't want any feedback maybe he should have posted it as an announcement instead of a discussion thread.
Curt!
<<

Admin

Post Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:36 am

curt, i do understand that you are just voicing an opinion and i welcome it from anyone. i just think you were wrong voicing opinions and making statements about something you cant back up. i do accept your apology and its in the past. you are right about saying if you dump more money in the company you can fix some problems. the big problem with that is as an investor, you have to look at how long it takes to get any kind of payback on your investment and if the influx of money is worth the return. the parts and engines we were selling we were making a decent profit on, no question there. i just have to look at the business as a whole and how it pertains to my individual situation at the moment. if someone has a machine shop out there now, this would be a perfect addition or complement to their business.

like i said, we lost "all" machining capabilities for the most part with scott leaving, but thats a decision we made here. if i was 20 years younger i might consider starting up a machine shop from scratch but at this point we dont want to do that. i'm open to suggestions. "anyone" want to step up to the plate and invest some money to get a machine shop going or take on the work of watching over the casting of parts and getting the machine work done? ya'll know how to contact me.

just to touch on the money thing again, more money does help alot of things if people want to work and use that money like it should be. look at the company "ENRON". they had all the money in the world and look at where they are today. the big "shots" greed either got them in jail or dead.
Next

Return to Shoot The Bull