FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Oley

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:04 pm

Oley

So! How was Oley? Inquiring minds need to know.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:39 pm

:( Can only speak for Friday. Seemed only half the meet filled up with vendors. Rain, drizzle, mud... Prices through the roof, yet I found a few good deals. My ride wanted to cut out early so I missed having a few brews with friends. Point bikes were still under wraps due to weather, so I got no pics. Electric trike stuck in the mud several times. Ran out of amps once but was close enough to a receptacle to recharge it some. Missed Dave Cs. VL entry for judging. Again........my ride wanted to leave early. All was not all doom and gloom though. Day brightened as my real reason for going came to life. Got to see Carl O, Johnny S, Dave C, Steve L, Joe N, and many others with like minds. This is the best part of every meet for me. :D Sorry I missed you G. Looked for ya though. :) Had the pleasure of meeting more like minds as well. So all in all.....the meet went great for me. :) The return trip wasn't any picnic though. We got stalled in traffic outside of Reading for more than two hours in a traffic jam. Crawled along at a snails pace when rolling. Most of that time we spent it as if we were in a parking lot. Pa
<<

greybeard52

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:15 am

Didn't make it, Pa. A piece of steel danced across the hood and through the windshield of my cage Wednesday on I-80 and kinda ruined my weekend plans :shock: . No injuries but had to deal with insurance co and glass guy. :( G
<<

Johnny

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:38 am

Oley was great.....
Pa, it was great seeing you and your son again. I wound up at the fire hall in the afternoon but looked all over for ya later and all day Saturday. I still owe ya a hot dog and a few beers. Definitely at Wauseon!!!!!
The theme this year was Injuns and there were lots to see.
I didn't see any rain after Thursday night (which was forecasted for Saturday), but it was cloudy. Sunday started out with some sunshine but got cloudy for most the day.
Went to the banquet Saturday night (my first banquet) and the Badgers MC club came strolling in with matching embroidered shirts and face masks. They were the hit of the night.
Plumber, as promised I got a few pictures for you.

Last edited by Johnny on Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Plumber

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:51 am

That's a pretty nice collection of motorcycles. Did you get to see any of them stand idling? Which ones? Cut and paste them below.
I saw a 1911 Indian idle at Del Mar one year at the starting line of the slow-race. Watching the lazy-lope revolution of the crankshaft reminded me of the next step forward from beyond the blacksmith shop era - From wagon wheel-wrighting, jumping to single-piston motors.
You captured the models that interest me most - External pushrods.
What was the black bones bobber originally?
I'd like to have heard that Indian-four run. I've seen an intermittent stream of condensate bubbles eixt from around those (top) threaded caps on some of those early engines, while they're running. It's not something you forget.
There was a world speed champ that did a (un-authorized, turf grass) burn-out on an Ace-four on the lawn @ Del Mar. As soon as he stopped, I walked over and asked him, "Was that the same torque release as a V-Twin"?...."Not at all, he said, (taking off his helmet)..it was more like auger-driven".
That's (trademark camp mocs) Bruce Linsday on the Curtiss, who rode his 61" OHV to Mazatlan? Where's the story on that adventure? Reportedly to be one of the few (if only) person to have an open-account with V-Twin. He orders what ever he wants and they send him a bill and he pays it? That's jailing it.
This looks like a great spring morning, sure. Expensive and cherished are the antiques. Looks like the same group of people you'd have seen over here too. Guess we're all the same. Wish we would have been there. Glad everybody showed up. That's alot of work laying out and un-installing all that art. Thanks for the tour.
Last edited by Plumber on Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:04 pm

Perhaps the reason Bruce has an open account is that he manufacturers parts for V-Twin.
Bruce has ridden his 1937 61" on seven continents.
<<

Plumber

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:17 pm

Does he make the pre-wired dash bases? ..."the guy that's been making those pre-wired bases is going to retire", is what I heard. Whatever that means. You never retire from motorcycles. 8)
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:55 pm

Yes, Bruce makes the pre wired dash bases. At least he used to.
<<

Plumber

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:41 pm

Wow. That was just a guess of putting two and two together. J.W. told me the re-wirement story... see but he didn't even reveal who it was (that's respectful). I'd heard before that Linsday made harness groups. We separated, measured and labeled some in Vol.2. I thought his harnesses were all for earlier though - JD, VL.
Too bad though. Pre-wired & bulbed bases are a whole lot easier to work with. The pre-wired bases have lamp sockets that are pressed into place, by a method we won't be duplicating any time soon. Without pre-wired, you'll have to use those plastic lamp sockets; or send them to Perry Ruiter for OE sockets installed and he's already mentioned not wanting to "waste" his supply of socket assemblies on aftermarket dash bases. http://www.ruiter.ca/. So, hello plastic sockets.
Nice camera work on the machines Johnny.
A 3-lite '62-67 style for (middle) neutral lamp (VT 39-0959).
The AM sockets are flaged directly onto the dash base, rather than using the (71182-47A) washer to roll the standing collar (shown in OE dash below). [47-A o.d. was reduced to be able to fit 3 sockets across.]
The base of the AM socket makes contact with the bottom of the dash base.
This is an OE 2-lite base. One of the sockets removed with the (sacrificial) collar still intact. The collar has to be removed to install plastic sockets, which snap into the hole. Save the (71182-47) or (-47A) washer (on the top side, not shown) for an antiquer. You won't be using it any more.
3-pk. (VT 33-1983)

Return to Shoot The Bull