FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New eBay scam? For me it was.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Kurt

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:15 pm

New eBay scam? For me it was.

Just had this one happen to me, so I don't know if it's been around a while or not.

Got a question from an eBay member asking about a part I have listed. I have my mail forwarded to my business e-mail, so this is what I saw. The page looked normal at first glance, but I felt something was wrong. It had the normal "Respond to this Question in My Messages" button on the right. I pressed the "Respond Now" button and was one letter short of signing in when something in the back of my head said to stop. I checked the guys feedback and saw the number shown on his e-mail and the one on the eBay site were off by 11 feedbacks. I then compared this e-mail to other e-mails from eBay members which were real and noticed the auction details where missing from the bottom. I went to my eBay mail box and there was no sign of the e-mail. This is scary and I almost fell for it.

Just letting others know if they have eBay questions forwarded to another mail box to always check and answer eBay questions on the eBay site.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:51 pm

A good heads up Kurt !!! I see this often with ebay. Check....and double check...before making any responce ! Kat sells other folks items for them often on ebay. She has ran into this often. I would have posted on the subject but I was unaware of the situation until you made this post. I told her what you posted here on the forum and she opened my eyes to these scams. Key here!!!! Go directly to your ebay account before doing anything !!!! Pa
<<

john HD

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:58 am

always always always
respond to any message from ebay via your "my ebay" page after logging in!

i wish the authorities could/would go after these types of scams, in my view it is no different than stealing a person's wallet and check book.

john
<<

44u

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:30 am

This happened to me on eBay about a year ago. Got a question about an item and thought nothing of it.

Ran no auctions for a few weeks and when I checked My eBay for messages I could not log in no matter what. Then I went a bit further and found out that someone had listed over 900 fraudulent auctions under my ID, leaving me owing a small fortune in seller fees.

To their credit I managed to get this ironed out with eBay after several hours on the phone and got the auctions pulled before any of them ended and a large number of people got ripped off.

The scammer, located in London, England, managed to do this by my answering a question without going through eBay. Lesson learned.

Return to Shoot The Bull