Board index Flathead Power- General Announcements and Various Subjects Shoot The Bull New eBay scam? For me it was.

New eBay scam? For me it was.

Use this forum for general conversation amongst yourselves when you don't have anything better to do. We like gossip! Try to keep the technical out of it.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:15 pm

Just had this one happen to me, so I don't know if it's been around a while or not.

Got a question from an eBay member asking about a part I have listed. I have my mail forwarded to my business e-mail, so this is what I saw. The page looked normal at first glance, but I felt something was wrong. It had the normal "Respond to this Question in My Messages" button on the right. I pressed the "Respond Now" button and was one letter short of signing in when something in the back of my head said to stop. I checked the guys feedback and saw the number shown on his e-mail and the one on the eBay site were off by 11 feedbacks. I then compared this e-mail to other e-mails from eBay members which were real and noticed the auction details where missing from the bottom. I went to my eBay mail box and there was no sign of the e-mail. This is scary and I almost fell for it.

Just letting others know if they have eBay questions forwarded to another mail box to always check and answer eBay questions on the eBay site.

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:51 pm
Pa Site Admin

A good heads up Kurt !!! I see this often with ebay. Check....and double check...before making any responce ! Kat sells other folks items for them often on ebay. She has ran into this often. I would have posted on the subject but I was unaware of the situation until you made this post. I told her what you posted here on the forum and she opened my eyes to these scams. Key here!!!! Go directly to your ebay account before doing anything !!!! Pa

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:58 am

always always always
respond to any message from ebay via your "my ebay" page after logging in!

i wish the authorities could/would go after these types of scams, in my view it is no different than stealing a person's wallet and check book.

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:30 am

This happened to me on eBay about a year ago. Got a question about an item and thought nothing of it.

Ran no auctions for a few weeks and when I checked My eBay for messages I could not log in no matter what. Then I went a bit further and found out that someone had listed over 900 fraudulent auctions under my ID, leaving me owing a small fortune in seller fees.

To their credit I managed to get this ironed out with eBay after several hours on the phone and got the auctions pulled before any of them ended and a large number of people got ripped off.

The scammer, located in London, England, managed to do this by my answering a question without going through eBay. Lesson learned.

Return to Shoot The Bull