FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

WHAT THE HECK IS THIS CREATURE ?? not bike related

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:06 pm

WHAT THE HECK IS THIS CREATURE ?? not bike related

I've grown a lot of gardens in my life and planted many of those gardens all over the country, but I've never seen one of these in my whole life before. Does anyone know what it is ???? It looks to be some type of catipillar but it also looks like it has a pair of eyes !! :shock: Pa

<<

JIm

Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:30 pm

Taint never seen one o dem afore. Looking at the side shot, it kinda looks like a cross between a mouse and a caterpillar. What kinda freaky things are going on in the woods. HMMMMMMMM. Read below.
Capture it and treat it nice, it could just be waiting for the mother ship to arrive.
But I have had a bug in my yard that looks exactly like a flying lobster, claws and all. They also just within the past week found a dead animal somewhere in New England that according to the media know one has ever seen before. Kinda looked like a cross between a wolf or coyote and a dog. But nothing like the hybrid cross breeds that are out there. What you could see of the thing was weird lookin. Probably turn out to be somthing not so strange. Can't find a picture of it to post.

J

Took your advice Pa, back.
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:14 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HA Billy you sure rang the bell with that one !
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
<<

56Trike

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:47 am

most probably a Swallowtail Butterfly or a Giant Silk Moth of some type. The eyelike markings are a defense mechanism to frighten birds, one of the greatest threats to a plump juicy caterpillar. Here in the U.S. we have several Swallowtail Caterpillars that could possibly fit your description, including the Western Tiger Swallowtail and the Spicebrush Swallowtail.

this is where I found the likness of your bug
http://whatsthatbug.com/caterpillar

happy gardening
RJM
<<

Cotten

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:30 am

I would call them "fishbait".

....Cotten
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:45 am

Mothra Or Morthodite mabe it's this guys cousin
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:24 am

Cool Jim !! I turned him loose so he could get beamed up ! :wink:

I could picture him looking like that after he crawls out of his cocoon John.

Yeah RJM...I found a bunch of websites with simuliar creatures on it but none looked like him. They all stated that the eyes were defense fakes. I will check your link out also.

:lol: :lol: We'll name him Buck, Billy :wink:

I thought I saw him in one of those Godzilla flicks too Panman !

Now that I got all of you Fella's attention on this catipillar, I can see us all in tights dancing through the forests with our butterfly nets. :lol: :lol: Pa
<<

john k. endrizzi

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:49 am

Pa,
You better not share what you'r smoking! "I can see us all in tights dancing through the forests with our butterfly nets. Pa"
I somehow don't think that it's Bannana Peels!
JKE
<<

JIm

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:15 am

I found it

I don't know about the tights but there damn sure aint gona be no tutu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found the article about the thing they found.
Here are a couple of pics and a link to the story.

Link
http://tinyurl.com/g4usl

Jim
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:56 pm

It was a Pink Floyd flashback JKE ! :lol: :lol: Either that or one of those Viking credit card commercials. :lol: Had you all picturing it though :wink:

Yeah Jim....that is a mixture breed if I ever saw one. Looks to be Husky and gray fox maybe ? Pa
<<

Tim 435

Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:44 am

We're downwind from TMI (Three Mile Island), when the security light come on at dusk it draws alot of funky little flying creatures, some glow in the dark. :twisted:
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:10 am

An old Pennslytuckyian myself Tim :) I was a bit up wind from that nuke plant but the wind blows north during the summer months too. Maybe that explains the in the tights vision ?? :lol: :lol: Pa
<<

JIm

Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:12 pm

When three mile island was eating itself, we got all kinds of warnings up here, Massachusetts. There were people telling us which way we should head if it did self distruct. At the time the winds were blowing up this way from there. Yeah right like you would be able to get anywhere if it did happen? It's hard enough just trying to get around this state in rush hour never mind a total panic situation. Maybe that explains the picture I posted of the animal found in Maine.

J
<<

Tim 435

Post Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:23 am

The first day we got any warning that TMI was melting (about 2 days after the fact) i was installing a new roof on the house, maybe that explains why i am the way i am sometimes (ocassional voices in the head). Don't see anybody walking around with 3 eyes either but seriously there have been alot of natives comming down with unexplained cancers..
<<

Psycobilly

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:50 pm

it's a cousin to the wanedoodle, we have those all over down here
<<

HonestJohn

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:49 am

professional naturalist here

I GET PAID GOOD MONEY TO STALK THROUGH THE FIELDS WITH A BUTTERFLY NET. You don't run or you scare them! I Honest John am a Naturalist for the Atlantic county Park system. Have been for 30 years. Taught hendreds of thousands of people about the environment in that time. Including the joys and gas savings of motorcycle riding. I have ridden my 46U that whole time, as well as pans shovels and a 74 BMW that I still ride too. To the subject at hand
That catapillar is a swallowtail butterfly catterpiller(I spell both ways). The big false eyespots are to fool birds to think that they have encountered a snake to scare them off. This prevents the birds from eating the bug. It works, scared you didn't it? They eat parsley, rue,and plants in the carrot family. The adults help pollenate flowers, giving us many foods that help us survive.

Now, anybody have a set of S&S flywheels for a 45 that take sportster crankpin so I can use k rods in a 45 I'm buildin? Lots of parts to trade.
<<

HonestJohn

Post Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:56 am

in passing

I went through the valley of the shadow, looked to the left a week after the three mile island meltdown, while travelin to Carlisle swapmeet. What made me notice a difference was the shade of grey that everything in the valley had. It was spooky. The news had played it down. I pushed that slant 6 up to 80 to get clear of that horror. Honest
<<

Ed Black

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:30 am

Hey! That looks like my old dog, Spot. He got lost in PA five years ago. Spot! Spot! Are you all right boy?
Yer Pal,
Ed Black

Keep 'Em Guessing

Return to Shoot The Bull