FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Harley Stock

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Curt!

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:45 pm

Harley Stock

I know a lot of the guys on here don't follow the stock market, but I thought it worth mentioning that Harley Davidson Inc (HOG) stock closed today at 11.89. Man, less than the cost of a case of beer. Not long ago it was over 70.00. The guys I talk stocks with are just stunned at the losses. Anyways, here's a chart if you wanna check it out. Hard times coming for the MoCo.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=HOG# ... =undefined
Curt!
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:32 pm

Re: Harley Stock

I'm glad I sold HOG at $51.00 and bought Catapiller.
<<

Curt!

Post Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:57 pm

There's been talk that the board may take the company private again if it hits 7.00. The rationale being that the comany has 6.95 per share in cash. I doubt it will happen because the move would drain their cash reserves.
Cat seems to be a good play since Obama is going to push for infrastructure improvements. That is one of the fastest ways to create jobs. That would be a best case scenario for CAT.
Curt!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:07 pm

I live near a main railroad. It is an east west cross country railroad. Every other day, a complete train load, about 110 cars goes by, full of Cat or John Deere machines. Watching the railroad tells a lot about equipment movements. Just yesterday, a 100 plus car train was carrying military Hum-v's east. Last night, going west bound, was just as many a car train, carrying tanks, going west. What won't fit in a box car is left to the naked eye to observe. Paps
<<

Cotten

Post Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:19 pm

Sorry Cotten...The political content is why I removed it. I do agree with you though.

....Cotten

PS:
Curt!
I used the word 'political' twice, so you had no choice.
Your restraint is noted and appreciated.
PPS: However, since the factual portion of my post has been censored, the remaining opinion is rendered silly, so I must delete the rest of my post as well.
Last edited by Cotten on Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Curt!

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:59 am

I have a friend that has a mid-sized farm out here. He told me that he had to wait a year for delivery on a new John Derre drill. He tells me there are backlogs on most JD equipment. That bodes well for Big Green.
I''m a big fan of CAT equipment. I "Flogged the Yeller Iern" for about 10 years. Felt like a kid in the sandbox every day.
Make 'er Smoke!
Curt!
<<

jwl

Post Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:18 pm

While CAT maybe better than HD right now, it has lost about half of its value in the past few months also. Things keep going like this and we'll all need a bailout.
<<

Cotten

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:49 am

I must admit that I was wrong on one fact in my previous post that was censored for political content.

The un-constitutional deficit in Caterpillar's home state is $44 billion, and not $4 billion.
But a regime change seems to be imminent!

....Cotten
Motorcycle relevancy: The Accused dipped into Illinois' Motorcycle Safety Training coffer and gave it to a Chicago church.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:34 am

Hey Cotten. Would you email me direct regarding your last sentence ? I'd like to know more about it. Thanks, Pa
<<

ohio-rider

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:40 pm

Investing with Cat or any other supplier of the above ground mining industries is a good idea right now. The above ground mining folks are spending money on new equipment and refurbishing existing equipment at a rate which has not been seen in three decades.

We are booked thru the second quarter of 2011 with orders from every mining company doing business in the US. The folks in power generation are also spending heavily right now as well. New orders for bids arrive daily.

The power generation market is always pretty level and predictable, but when you notice the price of natural gas begin to come down it would be wise to move your money away from the mining industry. The natural gas suppliers are the mining industries biggest rivals. Above ground mining is very fickle. They will close their mines in a heart beat when profits drop and wait for a better market before re-opening them.

Hey Cotten, You giving any thought to that open Senate seat? :)
<<

lowfiron

Post Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:51 pm

Put money in Alcohol, Beer & Wine. Nobody stops drinking. :roll:
<<

Cotten

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:57 am

<<

Curt!

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:53 am

Cotten
I saw the news today that they were asking for some TARP money. They say they are in sound financial condition, but want the gov to guarantee loans for unforeseen circumstances where one of their associated companies will fail to pay their bills on time. It sends a bad signal to investors.
They started unloading all the bikes they have foreclosed on in the last quarter. I saw a thousand bikes on the auction block from Eagle Financial since the start of the year. Lots of late model bikes for sale. That is really bringing the used bike market prices down.
I don't have a dealers license, so I haven't been able to see the results of the Manheim auctions. Any of you guys registered with them?
http://www.manheimspecialtyauctions.com
Curt!

Return to Shoot The Bull