FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Are Your Tires Safe ???

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

sleeper

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Are Your Tires Safe ???

Pa wrote: Did you note how some manufacturers hide the code on the inside outer tire wall so it can't be viewed without crawling under the automobile ? The investigation also noted some codes as very difficult to decipher. Pa

Pa- Not so sure auto tire makers are hiding the info on the inside.. I think it's just more astetically pleasing to see a nice clean sidewall, instead of the codes molded in.. IMO... This has been this way for long as I remember...
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:00 am

Good point. I'd rather that be the reasoning. Cosmetic issue or great alibi. Works either way. What hit me hardest on the report was how the dealerships had no clue about the date coding, nor did they know of the shelf life expectancy. Note how the rep here in the states denied the safety issue, yet, some nations recognized the issue, to the extent, they issued law. I'll be putting new fronts on my Merc today. The dealer I will be using only does tires. He probably sells the most rubber in this county. I'm curious if he has knowledge of that report. I'm also curious to find out how old the rubber will be, that he intends to provide me in options. He moves a huge amount of tires daily. His stock should be fresh, based on the number of tires he sells. Our local, county, and state authorities buy from him. If by chance, the tire options I will be presented with, turn out to be old stocking, I am confident he had no clue. I know the man as honest. Only ignorance of the shelf life situation, would be the reason with him, if his stock is old. Pa
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:13 pm

Two front tires purchased and installed. During tire breakdown and mounting, I struck up the date code question. The owner was not doing any of the labor. I asked him..." did you know tires had a shelf life" ? "And that they are date coded" ? Without hesitation, he said..."abosolutely". He then proceeded to point out numerous stacks of tires around the shop. Randomly choosing a tire from many of the tire stacks, he pointed out the actual date code. This gentleman is well informed ! I asked him if all tires were date coded. he said "If they are under DOT control, they are". "And motorcycle tires" ? "Absolutely", he said. We walked over to my two newly mounted and balanced tires. He spins them around and points down to the date codes. The year ??? 08 !! :D I think the news, in their report, should have included an individual such as this one also. Pa
<<

sleeper

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:15 pm

Valve stem recall

Pa-

You can't really believe that car dealerships have no clue about date codes ??? I would be more inclined to believe that they just don't care anymore...

PS: Heard that there was a tubeless 'valve stem' recall.. from 2006 to date..
Said they are cracking & can just let go, losing all the air... FWIW
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:18 pm

I'm sure car dealerships do Billy but I am not so sure that kilroys off ramp service station does or not. certainly their employess don't. Pa
<<

sleeper

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:14 pm

Pa- That's all the more reason that people can read the codes themselves.. It ain't rocket science..

And for any tire to be sold in the USA (for street use) it must meet DOT requirements, which includes date codes...( including the month as well as year) This is nothing new either..

So ya got new skins, what warranty do they have from the tire manufacturer ??

That's why I keep all paperwork..May need it one day..
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:27 am

Pa- That's all the more reason that people can read the codes themselves.. It ain't rocket science..

And for any tire to be sold in the USA (for street use) it must meet DOT requirements, which includes date codes...( including the month as well as year) This is nothing new either..

I agree, people should read the date codes. Most consumers didn't know they existed. I personally didn't know tires had a shelf life. I always went by their appearance. Most consumers don't even know that tires are rated. I know...it is sad when so many don't even know how to change the oil but society has went that direction. Pull in the bay and let someone else [automotive technician] do the regular maintenance. Call AAA to fix a flat, jump the battery, tow it away. :lol: I remember my cousin buying a Jaguar back in the early 70's. The only way to get under the hood was through the dealership in Pittsburgh, and other Jag dealerships throughout the country. It was locked down until the warranty ran out. I rode with him down to Florida in that ride. The battery died on us in Georgia. If I can recall correctly, the nearest Jag dealership was in Atlanta. They said it was a bad battery. Jag gave us a loner, a Cadillac Elderado, to use until a new battery arrived. They didn't have one in stock.

The dealer I visited recently, provided me with the mandatory date code year of 2000. He may be mistaken on the year. I haven't researched that yet.

Warranty is only 40,000 mile with depreciation.
<<

sleeper

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:12 pm

Date code year of 2000..... So yer new tires are already 8 yrs old.. I would have rejected those tires..

40,000 pro-rated warranty, but how long is the time frame. For any manufacture defects.. That is important as well...

Preceding the year on the date codes, is the week of manufacture..
Example: 16 07 April of 2007
16 weeks = 4 months =April

FWIW.
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:54 pm

Pa,
I guess this means I should throw away that Indian stamped inner tube?
Dusty
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:52 pm

Cotten...sorry you can't view the video clip. The report is about tire shelf life [6 years] and how the tread rips away.

Billy...I said 08. The tire code after 1999 begame a 4 digit code. Prior to 2000, it was 3 digit one.

Dusty...the compounds, now used in todays manufacturing of tires, are what is at issue with the shelf life. Your antique tires and tubes should be fine as long as they aren't dry rotted or cracked all over. You may have to keep and eye out on the belts though. Pa
<<

sleeper

Post Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:13 pm

Dusty-Dave wrote:Pa,
I guess this means I should throw away that Indian stamped inner tube?
Dusty

Dusty-

Just to be safe, I can rid you of that Indian stamped inner tube.... :lol: For your safety..(my main concern) :lol:

Pa-
"Billy...I said 08. The tire code after 1999 begame a 4 digit code. Prior to 2000, it was 3 digit one".

Thanks Pa, I can read the codes.... But You posted 2008 in one post, then 2000 in another :?: WTH ??

Anyway Sears really got hammered in the clip.. Good, maybe they will tighten up, & quit pushing off their old stock on unsuspecting folks...
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:46 pm

Typo Billy...... :oops: "Pa-Simers" :wink: I meant to say the 2000 was what the tire dealer told me was the year date codes became mandatory. He said earlier, only truck tires were mandatory, autos were not. Don't know about MC tires. I should have asked him. Pa
<<

sleeper

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:37 pm

Date Codes have been around at least since the 70's & possibly longer..(including Mc tires)

When it was mandatory may be another thing. But it's again nothing new.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:15 am

That's true. Problem with the public is though.....most can't even understand what the ratings, such as air pressures, correct size for vehicle, gross weight, etc., mean. Maybe this ought to be taught in high school. Teach it in drivers ed. Pa
Previous

Return to Shoot The Bull