FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Are Your Tires Safe ???

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:45 am

Are Your Tires Safe ???

I urge all to view this clip ! Your's, your families, or someone elses life may be at risk ! Pa

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897
<<

Tim 435

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:37 am

Re: Are Your Tires Safe ???

Thanks Pa, watched the whole clip with intrest, sold an Avon Venom to a customer last year only to have it returned this year with the sidewalls badly cracked and low miles, I refunded his money without question but didn't have a record of which vendor it came from as i deal with several so i ate the loss, still have the tire but couldn't find a code that made any sense, also heard from a friend that had the same experience with an Avon on his dresser, here on i'll ask questions before buying.. Tim
Vintage roadracing, Class C, AHRMA # 335
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:48 pm

Wish more of the membership would check it out. Did you note how some manufacturers hide the code on the inside outer tire wall so it can't be viewed without crawling under the automobile ? The investigation also noted some codes as very difficult to decipher. Pa
<<

Tim 435

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:12 pm

Can't believe there's no regulation on this yet !!! Manufactures should be made to brand ALL tires with readable manufacturing dates, instead , they been blaming all tire failure's on air pressure, somebody's getting there pockets lined :!: You might want to post this on the 45 Flatties forum where most of the activity is..
Vintage roadracing, Class C, AHRMA # 335
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:15 pm

I thought about that Tim, but I also thought those who don't read the 45 and other model topics, may miss it in those. Maybe mention of the topic and it's content in other topic headers would help spread the word of it ?? Pa
<<

Frankenstein

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:21 pm

Pa, Thanks! a buddy who runs an independent shop has just had 2 Avons come back from the same customer, after only running 3 weeks on a dresser. Tread separation in both tires. one was 9 years old, one 11 years old! Thanks for posting this.
DD
<<

HonestJohn

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:27 pm

I know the increase in the ozone levels is responsible for alot of premature tire cracking and early demise of rubber and plastic items. also a chemical used in plastics to retard the damage caused by ultraviolet rays has been discontinued due to its conection to cancer. This really shows up in plastic lawn furniture ya notice? So I'm sure that tires that use these compounds are catching hell now. Honest
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:43 pm

Doc, all of you, please feel free to post the link on other forums as well. The populas needs to be informed ! Just how many people have perished due to this failure ????? Pa
<<

George Greer

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:48 pm

Wow...........

That's freaking insane!!

Did ya like how the spokesman avoided the question about the English being more informed than Americans??

If this guy is part of a unified group......should he not know that British are being informed, unlike American firms, who are apparently keeping people in the dark...

Heck....I'm going to look and see if there's a similiar..tire life limit reccomendation here in Germany.

George

PS.......Does this also apply to motorcycle tires?? Dumb but I gotta ask.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:57 pm

George, my guess is yes. Tires are all manufactured basically the same way. Whether MC tires have codes ???? That is the next question. Definately needs answered !! Pa
<<

sleeper

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:41 pm

I been running Avon SM II on my servi since 2004, no problems.

Also running Avon Road Runners on my old Fat Boy, again no problems.. :?:

On my truck it's easy to read the date codes since they are white letter tires turned inside so codes are outward..
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:51 pm

My Merc tire [firestone] codes are outboard but my Sunbird tires [goodyear] are inboard. Though the Sunbird has excellent tire tread, I've noticed vibration at certain speeds with them. They run fine below or above 55mph. Visually I can't see any damage to them but I can also hear a weird sound coming from them. The sound is consistant with rotation. Makes me concerned now. About a week ago, I was driving behind a pickup pulling a trailer, when suddenly, blue smoke errupted from the left rear trailer tire. Within seconds, the tread separated from the tire. The trailer tried to go left then right but I assume the pull from the truck kept it under control. A few days later, I learned of this link.
<<

sleeper

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:04 pm

Pa-

your link is only showing me a Listerine commercial ??

As to your date codes & how to read them, google the Brand's name & you should find contact info...Or try
http://www.tirerack.com Lots of auto tire info there..

If your tires have any warranty left, (if proven defective) you can get free replacements.. I did on my truck several yrs back Dunlops(5 yr warranty) were cracking, & wouldn't stay balanced.. Yes I got a fresh set of BF Goodrich skins (6 yr warranty) & been fine since..But I read the date codes BEFORE I allowed tire shop to install them..

Personally I try to stick to good brands that carry a long warranty & are Fresh..

Now my OL's BMW we switched to Goodyears... What a BAD mistake.. Dangerous in rain.. So replaced them with the oem recommended Michellens & been fine since..

Personally, I think that anyone getting new tires should do their homework first & know how to read the date codes & make sure your getting a fresh set..
I have refused tires that were well over 1 yr old on the date.......
<<

sleeper

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:16 pm

Pa wrote:George, my guess is yes. Tires are all manufactured basically the same way. Whether MC tires have codes ???? That is the next question. Definately needs answered !! Pa

Yes Avons certainly do have date codes.

For anyone needing additional info:

AVON Tires: 1.800.624.7470

Continental Tires: 1.800.847.3349

Dunlop Tires: 1.800.828.7428

Good-Year Tires: 1.800.321.2136
Last edited by sleeper on Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:26 pm

Billy, You have to put up with the commercial until the video starts again. I just checked the link. I got a different commercial than you did. The news report came after. It lasts about 15 minutes then. You are absolutely right about the homework issue. Problem is though, folks don't realize they need to research date codes. They don't even realize they exist. Most dealers don't know the facts neither. My Sunbird tires are beyond warranty now. They are not dry rotted or cracked either. I use the little vehicle in the summer months only. It is a convertible, great on gas, and in near mint condition. I remember the old days. Tires were good until the tread was unsafe. I never lost a thread covering in the 60's and 70's. Radials were a vast ride improvement sice then though. Hey......by the way....why is ya burnin the after midnight oil like me ? :lol: Pa
<<

sleeper

Post Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:31 pm

Pa- I see it now.. Some of the OLD tires are perhaps from a retailer that has had them in stock for TOO long..

If ya can't read the codes you really don't even know if you are getting any warranty..

After-Midnite oil, well been busy & this is only time (lately) I get to check my stuff & etc...

What's yer excuse ??? :lol:
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:29 am

Great point on the warranty issue !

My excuse ? Was away most of the day and didn't have much of a chance to check in until now. I'll pay for it tomorrow. :lol:
<<

cane

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:58 am

Pa, thanks for posting this! :shock:
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:03 pm

Good to hear from you again Cane. :) Pa
<<

Cotten

Post Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:11 pm

Pa!

I appreciate your effort to alert everyone to any major safety concern...

But please be aware that some of us would be lucky if we just got a Listerine commercial.

My three tries at clicking upon the link locked my computer up solid, with only an un-plug and reboot to get going again each time.
(Info and work lost was insignificant, I think...).

Not only do many of us prefer antique vehicles, some of us are stuck with antique computer hardware, whether we like it or not.

Is this just about tire age, or particular production runs?
Any specifics or alternative text links about tire dangers would be most helpful.

TIA,

...Cotten
Next

Return to Shoot The Bull