FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

`70 Resto!!

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

EFX

Post Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:24 pm

`70 Resto!!

Hey everyone! Im so glad i found this forum as its pretty much the only servi-car info/forum i could find. I own a company that does hydrographics and airbrush along with camo vinyl. I went to school for autobody collision and refinishing specializing in street rod body fab and chassis fab. Anyways i do restorations on the side and have been enlisted to do a 1970 servi car now. It has a 12 volt car battery in the back and a regular car alternator on it. The points and the starter solenoid appear to be newly replaced as they are shiny. I am trying to basically just get it to crank or run before i tear it down and refinish everything. My main issue at the moment is electrical. The bike keys up and i get power to the starter switch but i get no response from the switch. If i manually override the switch with my power probe i also get nothing, no clicking or anything from the starter area. I did do the old screwdriver trick across the solenoid and still dont get a click or anything out of it. (I know its not the right way to do it lol ) There is no kick start on this bike that i can see so im wondering if there is a way to roll the motor over and make sure its not just locked up? But on the same note im wondering why i get no 12v hot signal to the starter when power is sent through the other wire from the switch. I have the Sercive manual as well as the 1970 owners manual and the servi car parts catalog. Ive included some pictures from the first day. I will be logging this whole restoration in this thread (or at least thats the plan). Thanks in advance for letting me join and for all the help in the future! Here is my website if you would like to check out what we do :) http://www.efxcustomcoatings.com

OK so my images are to big. Could someone tell me how to do the html way above? Thanks
<<

EFX

Post Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:41 pm

Re: `70 Resto!!

I figured out the pics. haha Anyways here is a few. I can take more if needed for info. Thanks
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:45 am

Re: `70 Resto!!

Welcome aboard EFX. Assuming you have a good charged up 12 volt battery and a solid connection from the battery terminals to the starter and solenoid terminals, it sounds like it would be a good idea for you to remove the starter motor from the bike and bench test it with direct positive and negative cables to the 12 volt battery. Disconnect the solenoid from the starter motor. Test the starter motor only. Make sure you secure the starter motor so it don't jump away from you when you put the juice to it. If the starter motor spins with this test, you have eliminated it as the problem. Next test the solenoid by putting direct juice to it. The plunger of the solenoid should move in and out with the juice on and off. If the solenoid tests out ok you could possibly have a wiring issue. That starter system uses a neutral safety switch in the starter circuit as well. You will find it screwed into the top of the transmission cover. That switch prevents the starter from operating in any other shifting position than the neutral position. The switch has a ball plunger on the end of it which actuated from the shifter drum inside the transmission. In other words, if the transmission is not in neutral, the starter motor will not operate. Hope this helps. Pa

Return to Servi-Cars