FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

'56 rear shocks

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

k56

Post Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:17 pm

'56 rear shocks

As I look to rebuild by '56 khk, I've run across NOS shocks on ebay or new replacements from other sources such as J&P. I have found shocks that look similar to a k-model, but not exactly in the after market stuff. Will a later model sportster shock fit my bike and will it look correct? Thanks again for any suggestions or help.
<<

VPH-D

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:22 am

Re: '56 rear shocks

I would think the 67-72 shock assembly would work for you. IIRC, they are 13 1/2 " eye to eye.
VPH-D
<<

George Greer

Post Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:16 am

J&P sucks.....

Don't believe it.......try something out of the ordinary for their "Tech-support"...hahaha what a joke.

George
<<

k56

Post Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:26 pm

I'm looking to bid on a set of rear shocks on ebay...can anyone tell me if they will fit and look correct on a k? I've emailed the fellow who is selling them and asked him the same question, but I'm not sure if he knows any better than I! Any help is appreciated. the Item number: 190231743255 in on ebay.
<<

Dave56KHK

Post Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:17 am

K56, those shocks will work perfectly. They may be 1" longer than the standard 56 K shock. In 58 HD offered the longer shock as standard equipment or an option, not quite sure which, to offer more "road clearance". Standard length or 1" longer they will look and work perfectly. And DChasteen's parts are the best. Bid with confidence. I have many of his parts on my 56 KHK. For the true purist they have the early Sportster A - B stamped lower cup. 56 K's lower cup would be stamped "R" but look the same and function the same as the AB cup.
<<

k56

Post Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:35 am

Dave56KHK wrote:K56, those shocks will work perfectly. They may be 1" longer than the standard 56 K shock. In 58 HD offered the longer shock as standard equipment or an option, not quite sure which, to offer more "road clearance". Standard length or 1" longer they will look and work perfectly. And DChasteen's parts are the best. Bid with confidence. I have many of his parts on my 56 KHK. For the true purist they have the early Sportster A - B stamped lower cup. 56 K's lower cup would be stamped "R" but look the same and function the same as the AB cup.

Many thanks Dave...
<<

44dwarf

Post Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:14 am

Longer shocks will work BUT they will change a few things. The swing arm angle will be more thus the bike will react to the throttle more. You should feel the seat riase up a little more on a hard throttle up do the the tire trying the plant in self in the pavement. Some call this "Forward Bite". It may also efect your chain clearances and lenght as the efected leanght will now be somewhat shorter unloaded HOWEVER as the shock compresses it will grow. You'll need to use a Heavy freind or a ratchet srap to set the chain loaded. Once you load it so the swing arm it level and chain is properly tentions you then can unload it and measre the chain slop to the swing arm and write it down for future quick checks.
"Smok'in the competition NOT Tobacco"
"Transplant organs, Don't bury them!"
Why dwarf? 5/8 scale race cars! http://www.dwarfcarracing.com
<<

k56

Post Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:15 pm

44dwarf wrote:Longer shocks will work BUT they will change a few things. The swing arm angle will be more thus the bike will react to the throttle more. You should feel the seat riase up a little more on a hard throttle up do the the tire trying the plant in self in the pavement. Some call this "Forward Bite". It may also efect your chain clearances and lenght as the efected leanght will now be somewhat shorter unloaded HOWEVER as the shock compresses it will grow. You'll need to use a Heavy freind or a ratchet srap to set the chain loaded. Once you load it so the swing arm it level and chain is properly tentions you then can unload it and measre the chain slop to the swing arm and write it down for future quick checks.

So, I believe you are saying to stay with the 12.5 eye to eye originals shocks? Any ideas where a fellow could find a good set of those?
<<

44dwarf

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:44 am

No just be awhere of the change and check the chain clearances.
Attachments
52k.jpg
52k.jpg (83.98 KiB) Viewed 2659 times
"Smok'in the competition NOT Tobacco"
"Transplant organs, Don't bury them!"
Why dwarf? 5/8 scale race cars! http://www.dwarfcarracing.com
<<

suicideshovel65

Post Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:10 pm

44dwarf I really like your machine - you have to post more pics!

k56, just go for 13.5 or 14.5 early K or sporty shocks and perhaps choose the length based on your height and type of riding? (how many people really offroad their sporties these days?)

The shocks on my KH in the other post were bought off ebay for $5.00 + flatrate shipping from memory. The earlier ones will set you back more (especially with covers), but there are cheap easy options out there.

Caveat emptor with used parts as always though.

Return to K-Models