FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Manual Spark Advance

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

dlm32

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:49 am

Manual Spark Advance

Heys guys,

I'm going to use a standard K/KH manual advance distributor on my racer in total loss mode. From what I see on the Ks & KHs on display at the Barber Museum, the cable is attached to the side of the distributor and then runs between the cylinders. I can't see where it comes out , what type of mechanism activates it, or where it's mounted. I would guess it uses a similar setup to an old lawn mower manual pull choke. I assume this changes the timing to make starting easier? A photo of the mechanism would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance!
DLM32
<<

ramjet

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:13 am

Re: Manual Spark Advance

Hey DLM32,
The advance-retard cable was internally controlled in the left twistgrip. The left side had a spiral grip sleeve, and a slot in the bar, just like the throttle. Roll it back to retard,(start) and in, (toward the rider) to advance. The cable routed up thru the triple tree, opposite the throttle cable. Hope this helps.
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:26 am

Hi dlm32,

The outer of the retard cable is clamped on one of the cylinder nuts.

If you really want this set up on a racer, make sure you do it so that full advance would be with throttle or lever at rest, so you would pull to retard... much safer, you don't have to hold it at full advance in the heat of a corner or whatever and you don't have to think about it while racing... Once started, should be set at full advance all the time.

IMO, it won't make a racer any more easy to start if you retard the spark, same with a choke!!!

Patrick
<<

dlm32

Post Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:44 am

Thanks guys,

I was looking at my parts manual, and was pretty sure it was twist grip operated. Jim Haubert just happened to call and he confirmed it. I'm using clip ons, and won't try to make that set up work on them. If I find I need it, I'll just rig a manual pull cable.

Thanks again guys!
DLM32
<<

44dwarf

Post Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:18 am

Most of the vintage guys around here use a spring to hold the distrib at full advance after starting it.
They unclip one end of the spring twist the distrib to retard sart the bike then re clip the spring on to the cyl fin and go race.

44Dwarf
"Smok'in the competition NOT Tobacco"
"Transplant organs, Don't bury them!"
Why dwarf? 5/8 scale race cars! http://www.dwarfcarracing.com
<<

dlm32

Post Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:14 am

Thanks 44dwarf! I'll do that! :D
DLM32

Return to K-Models