FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Proper 2.2 gal tank for KR?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

slindo

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:21 pm

Proper 2.2 gal tank for KR?

I'm looking for a cheap used XLCH-style 2.2 gal tank for my KR. According to the book, # 61000-54C is the right one for my machine.

Does anyone know how late this tank was used, and how to tell it from the later ones? Since I'll probably end up buying one on ebay, I need to know how to tell the difference at long range.

I think it had a vent that later ones didn't but I may have that backwards.
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:51 pm

Re: Proper 2.2 gal tank for KR?

Sportster CH tank is OK up to about late 70's, before 79 when they went for the XR style tail end.

For a quick check when you look at one, you want the ones where the rear brackets are further away from the back end of the tank. Later ones are same shape, but the rear bracketry was moved underneath the tank.

Very early CH tanks, 58 to 62 roughly, had also a pluged drain underneath, back left hand side.

66 to 72 have a tube vent from underneath front right side that goes up to the filler cap, that's the carb vent used during the Tillotson years.

Patrick
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:14 am

thefrenchowl wrote:Very early CH tanks, 58 to 62 roughly, had also a pluged drain underneath, back left hand side. Patrick

Patrick,
Are you sure about that date? My '65 XL parts book shows that plug still in use then.
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:03 am

Chris,

I said "roughly" because I've no idea when the drain bung was deleted on the peanut tank, but, as a lot of other changes happened on the 62CH, I guessed wrongly. I've got most of the relevant parts books, but I'm not too much of an "anorak" to study them more than I usualy do!!!.

Thanks for the info.

Patrick
<<

45Brit

Post Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:49 am

given some of the other threads surrounding this project, I'm going to ask if you need to be fretting about fuel tank drain plugs just now?
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...
<<

slindo

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:35 pm

Actually, I never mentioned plugs. I just mentioned vents because they seem to be one of the ways one dates the tanks.

The machine is going to need a tank eventually, and it will never be any cheaper than now. Having seen prices on old British parts go crazy over the last few years, I am realizing I ought to make it a priority to grab everything it's missing while the stuff can still be found reasonably. Which means being able to indentify the right parts.

45Brit wrote:given some of the other threads surrounding this project, I'm going to ask if you need to be fretting about fuel tank drain plugs just now?
<<

45Brit

Post Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:12 am

fair enough. You might as well have any original parts you can find at a sensible price. I think you are right about prices for NOS stuff, and for that matter, stuff which should have been scrapped years ago
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Return to K-Models