It's all starting to make sense. Like you say, it'll make a lot more sense when I actually have the parts, but I have the ol' chicken-and-egg problem, if that I have to know just which ones they should be before I can buy them!
One thing that will probably make more sense then, that it would help a great deal if you could elaborate on , is which bits of all the odd little bits that go between crank and crankcase
are retained, and which are unecessary with your setup. Things like the spring ring, shaft collars and seal ring.
Thanks again! You have been terrifically helpful.
- most KR, XLR and XR were always fitted with metric bearings, hence 25mm shafts. Early KR, 52/53, might have had a smaller timing shaft since they were derived from WR
- K, KH and iron XL shafts are 1" on both sides, I should know, I've got probably 10 in various boxes...
- my spacers, running the std KHK crank, are to adapt KH or XL crank inside KR cases or street cases machined to KR specs. KR, XLR and XR were made from the start for metric and have their own expensive bits beside crank for end float, oil seal, sprockets etc...
- you cannot mix KH bits with XL bits on the crank, ie you have to use KH shafts with KH crank, XL shafts with XL crank, specially on the drive side.
- I know there's a diff between street and race tapers because Jim Haubert told me, he should know, he used to machine for the race shop at the time he was there, 1970/72...
If you really need a crank, as I said, easiest, less painful, less cost is to go for a 57/70 CH complete crank, I mean rods, flywheels, shafts, sprocket... Panic's right in saying there is a street 30 teeth one, but it's the K/KH, and to use that, you'll have to weld it on its holder and get rid of the cush drive. 34 teeth CH ones have not this problem, they are one piece, without cush drive.
34 teeth XL ones also have a cush drive. I run a 34 teeth CH on my KHK, no sweat, it feels as torquey as it should despite the higher gearing.
Get the bits together, then it'll be easier for you to visualize it all...