FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

56 KHK For Sale

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

MarkBranst

Post Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:03 pm

56 KHK For Sale

Would love to hear comments from those of you that know this model ...

http://tinyurl.com/2deluo

Bye the way, can anybody recommend a good book on the K models? Does such a thing exist?
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:11 am

Hi MarkBranst,

Seems a lot of money for what basically is a Sportster set of incomplete cycle parts (56 -one-year-only- frame KH/KHK should have cast steel top motor mount, this one's stamped steel, so is a 57/65 XL/XLH...)and an even more incomplete set of KH?K cases... # numbers weren't quite stamped that way in these years... Ask for the belly #s...

I can't seee more than $ 1000 worth here.

Maybe just a tiny whinny more if the cams are KHK, I've got my doubts as one of the shafts looks wrong to me, until the seller post some photos of them...

As for books, there's not one specific one on the market, but some of them, mostly about Sportsters skim on the surface and mention the K Model... A guy in Alaska was writing a K book, but I haven't heard from him in a while...

Still, you can visit my site, that's about it...

Patrick
<<

hotrods1

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:04 am

I can assure you that the Vin is correct and unaltered. A khk bottom end with not breaks or repairs would be pretty tough to find if thats what you wanted to build.
<<

panic

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:01 am

It's OK, go back to sleep.
Last edited by panic on Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

MarkBranst

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:56 pm

Panic,

I'm not sure what you're driving at with the comment about extra inner primary screw holes being a 58-up detail ... I checked out a 56 on The French Owl's website, and the screw pattern seems pretty similar.
It is rather odd that most of the inner primary screw holes seem to be filled with JB Weld or something .... Looks like somebody was running an earlier 2-screw primary on this supposed 56.
<<

panic

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:27 pm

"What I'm driving at?"

Nothing, nothing at all.
<<

MarkBranst

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:37 pm

panic wrote:"What I'm driving at?"

Nothing, nothing at all.

Panic, you made a statement of fact concerning this particular engine ... I looked up some stuff, to the best of my ability, that seemed to contradict your opinion, and I simply asked you to clarify your earlier statement. This is called having a CONVERSATION ...
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:32 pm

Hi All,

At the same time the K was being designed, the KR was also being designed. The patterns for casting both sets of slightly different cases were pretty similar, hence the undrilled and untaped bosses for the KR tin primary screws on the K/KH cases, luckily for us, specials' lovers!!!.

Can't remember if it's on late KH or early Sportys, but 4 of these bosses were later used for 4 small dowels pins to help locate better the cast 3 screws primary cover.

Patrick
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:38 pm

hotrods1
I can assure you that the Vin is correct and unaltered

I did not say they were fake, just that I can't remember seeing the straight leg "6" so early...

Let the seller give us a photo of the belly numbers ... and of the cams...

Patrick
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:53 pm

Tell you what, went to have another look, eh bingo, I know why the number look strange to me...

there a "D" stamped near the engine number... Know what that mean?

The "D" was stamped on all trap door sets of KH cases held by the factory as spares in 1957 when they modified them all from 6 bolts/2 conical dowel to 4 bolts/2 straight dowels so they could use only one trap door, the Sporty one.

So these are replacement cases, number re-stamped by the factory in the late 60's with these years set of punches, hence straight leg "6". The belly numbers will include the year the rplcmt was done.

Patrick
<<

hotrods1

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:03 pm

Interesting Patrick. Belly #'s are only 62 and the 2 is upside down.
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:32 am

!!! Drunk store-man or Monday morning set of cases!!!

Stop joking: I've seen before replacement cases without the full belly code... And most KR/XLR do not have a belly code, just a belly serial... as long as they match, it's OK I suppose...

Even had myself in the past a genuine 59CH with rplct cases with the belly year stamped 69, then barred and 70 added!!! Must have been issued on 01/01/70!!!!

And earlier this year, a set of 56 KH cases was for sale on ebay , again rplct "D", with Sportster belly code...

I'm sure, by the 60's, whoever was in charge at the factory for rplct cases did not have a clue as to what to stamp on the bellys or had long lost the instruction sheet...

Patrick
<<

panic

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:02 am

No, remedial English indicated here.

I made an observation.
You made an accusation.
<<

MarkBranst

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:41 pm

panic wrote:No, remedial English indicated here.
I made an observation.
You made an accusation.

No, you seem to be able to write pretty well, when you try ... Its apparent that you just don't read very well. PLEASE go back to my post, and even remotely try to turn that into an accusation.

But then again, based on virtually all your responses on this list, I really shouldn't be surprised by you typical over-the-top response.
<<

panic

Post Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:11 am

I don't read very well?
And the subject of your doctoral thesis was...?
There are many, many deprecatory remarks one might make against me with some rational basis, but that is not one.

What a rude little boy you are. Please do not address me, directly or indirectly, in future.
<<

MarkBranst

Post Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:28 am

panic wrote: What a rude little boy you are. Please do not address me, directly or indirectly, in future.

Sounds more like a florist than a retired clerk. And if I offended any other florists, or clerks for that matter, I apologize in advance.

Return to K-Models