FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

55KHK Trap door question (transmission access plate)

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Otto

Post Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:05 pm

55KHK Trap door question (transmission access plate)

:? I am looking at a pair of 55KHK case halves that are missing the trap door. Is it hard to find a pre-57 style door, or can you adapt the later style? Thanks
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:16 pm

Yep,

KH trap door have 6 bolts and 2 conical dowels, never seen one of these trap doors on their own for sale anywhere... Seen a few sets of cases on eBay with them so they are out there...

By the way, in 1957, when the new 4 bolts trap door was introduced on the Sportster, H-D had all the spare KH cases in the part dept remachined for the 4 bolt type, stamped with a "D" around the boss for the engine number, so it's possible to have your cases remachined to fit a Sportster trap door...

Patrick
<<

Otto

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:22 am

Thanks again Patrick!

Appreciate your help and you hit the nail on the head: these cases were stranded by removing the doweled access plate - and not being able to turn up another.
<<

Barry55KH

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:00 am

We put a newer style Trans from Tiawan Ted in my 55KH. We used the cone shaped dowls and modified the new door to fit them. I will call my machinist and ask him what he did. He said it was simple.

I have the old door, but am saving it for a back up.

The V-Twin trans will not slip into first gear without first rocking it up into second gear. More quallity parts from Tiawan. Other wise the trans works well. The new trap door does not have the mounting boss on the door fot the center screw to hold on the primary cover. I had a friend make me a bracket to mount with the bottom bolt that holds on the chain tensioner. It is kind of a pain to line up the first time, but then I marked it by drawing a line along the edge of the chain tentioner onto the bracket with a sharpy. I allined the threaded hole in the bracket by mounting the cover and then shining a flashlight through the hole to see how close the hole was to the spot the light made on the bracket.

It can be done.

Barry
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:41 am

Yep, Barry, but you can find early Sportster trap doors with the cover center screw boss:

Sporster 1957 to 1965, with taped boss, -54 part number (i.e same as KH but bored straight for the 2 dowels):

Sportster 1966 to ?, with boss, untaped, -54A part number:

Sportster 1977 and later trap door, for left shifter, boss deleted, -76 part number:

All the best for this end of year festivities...

Patrick
<<

greybeard52

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:43 am

OK, here's a question for all k, kh, and khk owners. What is the lowest serial number that has a factory transmission door. My 54 KH does NOT have one. serial # 54KH239X, belly numbers match.
? ? ? ?
Life would be soooo much easier if mine had a door. G 8)
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:35 pm

Hi Greybeard52,

My 1954 KHK is 54 KHK 254*, also matching bellys, right code and NO trap door. Considering the low output, about 1000 KH per year or less, this is well past mid-year production...

The parts books don't mention the transition point on that one, just the change from -52A to -54A, unlike changed rake parts on forks from 54 KH 2250.

The trap door is actually not listed, it was sold as a set with the left case. The conical dowels were available, number 24578-54.

Talking about this change of rake, Greybeard, are your forks original and if so, haven't you ever wondered about some of their aspects? PM me if yes, I want to confirm some strange original parts on mine...

All the best from Patrick
<<

dr sportster

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:46 pm

Hey Barry,On the sporty trans if first gear is hard that is a symptom of first gear on the countershaft being shimmed too tight against the case side and not being able to freewheel easily.Try a thinner 1st cs shim or see if the face of the gear is rubbing and needs to be releived a bit.Not the original subject,just trying to be helpful.
<<

dr sportster

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:27 pm

Pop the countershaft plug out of the door and place a spoke in the hole, pull back and forth and feel for some end play if you have little movement the first gear is shimmed too tightly and cant spin easily.Sorry Otto wrong topic.
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:37 pm

dr sportster
if you have little movement the first gear is shimmed too tightly

It's also good to check that the counter shaft blind Torrington, under the sprochet rollers is well in its location. If it stands too proud inside, 1st gear will be also tight... WRONG TOPIC, sorry!!!

Patrick
<<

BREWSKI

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:11 pm

Since no one has mentioned it,I thought I would bring it up!. I'ld like to see someone start a registry for K's,KH's,KR's as I know of 2 1954 KH's that are doorless,as I've stated before;the early cases can be machined for the trans door=no problem!!. If interested contact me at sportsspecialties1@yahoo.com. BREWSKI
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:53 am

Hi, BREWSKI

I did certainly have a good look over the years at my 54 KHK trapless cases, there's no way one could machine that to retrofit a trap door, not enough meat in the vertical casting...

One can see on trap door case left castings where the factory added meat on the vertical wall from the outside. That's also a quick check to ensure trap or no trap without taking the primary out when buying a 54 KH...

Patrick
<<

panic

Post Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:08 pm

"Official" 1st number trap door: 54KH2621, but I've heard that some higher than that were made without.
<<

Barry55KH

Post Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:50 pm

Hey Otto,

Here is one on E-bay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-K ... dZViewItem

Barry55KH

Return to K-Models