FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

cylinder hold down studs?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

44dwarf

Post Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:17 pm

cylinder hold down studs?

Hi Gang.
While preping my K for winter, I changed the oil and was cleaning the motor up a bit i noted some oil seepage from the cylinder base. Grabed a wrench and checked the nuts. One out of the four was rather loose. i noted the height of the studd was higher then the others.

1) How are the studs held in the case? Treaded, Blind hole, Through hole?
2) How easy to replace?

The more i rode it the more it smokes and at times it wet sumps after sitting a week or more.

3) Wheres the check ball located?
4) Is there a better oil ring? OEM 1 peice or after market twin ring and expander?

Thanks for the help again.

44Dwarf
"Smok'in the competition NOT Tobacco"
"Transplant organs, Don't bury them!"
Why dwarf? 5/8 scale race cars! http://www.dwarfcarracing.com
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:00 am

44dwarf
1) How are the studs held in the case? Treaded, Blind hole, Through hole?
2) How easy to replace?

1): The tread in the cases is a tighter thread made with a special thinner tap, do not clean the holes with the std tap!!! Because it's tight, you should use a special too to insert the studs. The factory probably used a special drilling attachment to do that job fast.

Never seen such a tool, I use 2 tight nuts on top of each other, no oil grease or loctite, and screw in with the top nut. Screw in until you can check the deck height with another original mounted stud.

2): Not too difficult...

Hope this helps,

Patrick
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:10 am

44Dwarf
3) Wheres the check ball located?
4) Is there a better oil ring? OEM 1 peice or after market twin ring and expander?

3): Check valve is located behing oil pressure switch, front of the oil pump. early Ks also have a by-pass valve accessible from the back of the oil pump behind a big screw.

4): I personnaly prefer to use the one piece type, just ease of assembly, used both types in the past, can't say I've seen much differences...

Wet sumping is the plague of old dry sump engines, not just Harley ones, what with more clearences between pump gears etc... as long as it clears after a few minutes running, I wouldn't be too alarmed by the smoke, if it lasts longer, check the usual suspects, rings, pistons, valve guides...

Patrick
<<

44dwarf

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:47 am

Thanks for the info guys.

I think the cyl stud is pulling out. :x
"Smok'in the competition NOT Tobacco"
"Transplant organs, Don't bury them!"
Why dwarf? 5/8 scale race cars! http://www.dwarfcarracing.com

Return to K-Models