FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

55 KHRM: Is it real?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Otto

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:25 pm

55 KHRM: Is it real?

What do you all think about this? Opinions? Is it real or??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955-Har ... dZViewItem

Hot to trot execpt there seems to be some issue about the SN not matching and so on.. :?:
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:02 pm

Hi Otto,

Problems:

KHRM should be with horse show oil tank ( so should not have any bracketry on the seat tubes...) and blanked dynamo hole on left case, hence frame is a 52 to 55 Model K or KH with side oil tank & tool box...

KHRM should be with tin primary cover, so with 10 off 1/4 x 20 tpi screws: left case, only threaded for 3 "in line" screws, is K or KH, despite engine number.

ALL KH/KR/KRTT/KHRM from mid 54 should have a trap door and -54 casting number above clutch ???... YES!!!

All 54/55 KHRM (never heard of 1956 KHRM but some might be around...) have a pretty weird arrangement for the rear brake: brake pedal shaft was moved from bottom of rear engine casting to just underneath horse shoe oil tank to allow for a massive sump guard, check angle of brake rod on underneath photo from my site... Left hand foot rest was hung on bracket and 3 points from some of the 10 primary screws, brake pedal articulated on foot rest.

54 KHRM should be fitted with Wico vertical, 55 with Fairbanks-Morse, missing here, no cams either.

From info I've got, KHRM could have been fitted at the factory with the choice of either std KH or KHK cams, big shafts, the KHRM was not a "ball bearing" engine... Only ball bearing engines were the KR, KRTT, KHR and KHRTT.

Don't bid silly prices!!!

1988 photo of the 1955 version of the real thing, I was a pauper at the time (and still am...) so I did not buy it, that was 10 000 US dollars in Canada at the time...

Patrick
Last edited by thefrenchowl on Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Otto

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:35 pm

Wow Patrick Thanks!!

I want one so bad that I tend to overlook things and greatly appreciate your knowledge. :D

Again, I will wait for a better opportunity.
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:46 pm

Hi Otto,

Yes, I want one as well and as bad!!! Still wonder where this blue one's gone, it was original and unmolested, probably saw very little racing... Photo of the other side on my site, showing all the weird rear brake bits, "Galleries", "H-D racers in collections"...

So.... if you see a bid from the french owl on ebay, it's most probably on a good piece of kit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (still, I learn everyday, there's so much unknown...)

That ebay KHRM: What would be the point of H-D making a KHRM to look like a KH???? Surely, the moniker KHRM can only mean it's got special bits as in oil tank, engine pan/skid etc???

Patrick
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:54 am

David at Jackson Jewlery Repair in San Antonio has two pristine 1954 KHRMs. Any questions he should be able to answer for you. He may have some spare parts too as he just bought two truckloads of K & KR parts.

Return to K-Models