FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Oil usage?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

44dwarf

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:20 pm

Oil usage?

On a 52 K how many miles would one get per quart of oil?
I've been getting around 100 to 125. Bike smokes just a tad on start up and more at idle after it's warmed up. If I'm doing say 40mph and stop at a light it smokes untill I'm under way again.
I had noted some metalic chips in the oil tank when i got the bike and found the filter was not installed right. I washed out the tank and was changeing the oil and filter every ride ~50miles to flush out any more crud.
Maybe scavange pump not able to keep up?
Comp is low at 70psi cold have not check hot yet.
Bike runs great has plenty of power and get up and go.

44dwarf
"Smok'in the competition NOT Tobacco"
"Transplant organs, Don't bury them!"
Why dwarf? 5/8 scale race cars! http://www.dwarfcarracing.com
<<

Barry55KH

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:46 pm

I have had it bad, even with new rings at about 50 miles per quart. "fill up the oil and check the gas". The best I have gotten was about 300 miles to the quart. The book says, "250 to 500" miles to a quart.

Have you ever ringed this engine since you bought it. You may want to do it, measuring the bore at that time. I am putting total seal rings in mine now, changing out the oil pump to a K model one, from a Sportster one, and plugging up the side oilers. This on a new bore, done with torque plates. I have run pretty well with even up to .005 or .006 over the piston size, but set it up with .003 on the fresh bore. Just a little tighter on the front than the rear, just by the difference in size of the two pistons.

It is real easy to do. Too easy, as I have done it about 15 times in the last 20 years.....

Best Regards,
Barry
<<

Tim 435

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:12 pm

What type of oil rings are you using, 1 pc cast or 3 pc Hastings ? I've had better luck with the narrow 1 pc cast, they seem to seat faster and better in the sv motors, some of the new cast piston sets (repop) come with the early wide type cast rings, not as good. Also what type of oil are you using? for the street I have good luck with straight 50 or 60 H-D or Spectro non synthetic. Tim
<<

44dwarf

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:21 am

I've not had the motor apart yet. I have looked down the bore with a flexible bore scope but could not see 360 of the wall just 180 looked great. As far as i know its stock rebuild in early 70's then ridden sparingly untill i got it. I'm sure it was all NOS parts as the Original owner was an HD dealer in Maine and i've confermed he did own it.

The more i ride it the less it smokes! theres almost none on start up now and the check ball is holding for weeks now.

I did score a NOS .020 over piston and ring set with the one oil ring type genuine HD stuff!

Adding Lucus oil stabilizer to valvoline 50w helped alot.

<<

BREWSKI

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:48 am

If you're finding metallic particles on your filter,this not good!. The engine is making metal and is a VERY definite sign that there are some serious wear factors. I would advise a leakdown test,plus a compression test when hot. My '56 KHK normally gets over 500 miles to a quart. The last time I did a topend(due to a torched piston) the oil consumption was out of sight;a quart per 25 miles. BREWSKI
<<

Tim 435

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:53 am

44, glad to hear its getting better with use, where do i get one of those bore scopes, good quality? Is the Valvoline formulated for air cooled twins? Visited your web, like those legend cars, often thought about installig a H-D motor in one and running it on the street.. Tim
<<

44dwarf

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:55 am

No metal now but 600 miles ago there was some.
The more i ride it the better the oil consumption (Less oil used) and the better it runs and the less it smokes at idle after going. If i slow down slow or blip the throttle a few times after it coast down theres no smoke vissible. It's strange!

I plan on sending out a sample with the next change.

<<

44dwarf

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:18 pm

Plain old valvoline 50w with MPZ I was using the Racing oil with MPZ but the last two changes there was no "racing oil" so i asked the guy if he had any 50w and he came back with white plastic jugs not the black ones.

Cars with HD motors
Jacksport out in Wisconin makes them with a sporty motor
<<

BREWSKI

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:33 pm

TIM,a borescope can be obtained thru any major aircraft parts supplier,AVIALL,AIRCRAFT SPRUCE AND SPECIALTIES are two that come to mind easily;WICKS is another. BREWSKI
<<

44dwarf

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:33 pm

Tim.
The one I used was a older medical unit from E-bay. We bought it at my old work to look in to welded water channels in high vacuum chambers. It works good but is not flexible enough to make two bends so close and short radius makes it hard.

My local Car-Quest auto parts has ridged one on sale from time to time for $125

<<

Tim 435

Post Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:49 am

Thanks Brew, 44, sounds like a worthy tool to have, will check them out.. Tim

Return to K-Models