FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

K model rear fender hardwear.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

44dwarf

Post Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:26 am

K model rear fender hardwear.

Hi Gang.
My 52 K model came to me with a few messed up / wrong bolts holding on the rear fender.
Some one used regular bolts in two of the holes that should have the tapper counter sunk screws in them. Thats easy enogh to fix but the other two are philip's head screws. They look corect. He's the rub. I got the Colony hardwear kit it came with chrome flat blade head screws and two chrome bolts. Now i know the bolts are black cad OEM but the screws have me thinking....

Were they flat head or philps from HD in 52? Chrome or Cad?

Parts book shows flat heads, and most other haedwear is flat heads but i do see a few other philips on the bike like around the fork tins.

If i'm going to take off the fender to put hardwear in it i'd like to put the right stuff in.

Thanks
44Dwarf
"Smok'in the competition NOT Tobacco"
"Transplant organs, Don't bury them!"
Why dwarf? 5/8 scale race cars! http://www.dwarfcarracing.com
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:49 pm

Hi, 44 Dwarf,

I would have thought Phillips crossed screws came in the mid sixties on XLs, same as for tin cover screws on CHs...

Patrick
<<

ramjet

Post Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:24 pm

K model rear fender hardware

I bought a '52 K in '58, and I have been trying to be sure about this. As near as I can remember, the rear fender bolts were tapered head with straight slot. I think we chromed them ourselves, so they were cad plated from the factory. The hardware was almost all cad plated back then, and we (the HD shop in Stockton Ca.) made an after market of chromed hardware. The particular bolts you are talking about had a slight convex curve on the top, they were not flat across there.
<<

44dwarf

Post Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:09 pm

Thank you for the info.
The colony kit has that curve on the tops like RAMJET said. So now i wounder should i use the chromed ones or strip off the chrome and cad plate them instead....
Oh heck i'll use them as is.

"Smok'in the competition NOT Tobacco"
"Transplant organs, Don't bury them!"
Why dwarf? 5/8 scale race cars! http://www.dwarfcarracing.com
<<

hans56kh

Post Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:15 am

My K&KH parts manual specifies chrome plated screws for the rear fender.
<<

ramjet

Post Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:50 am

K model rear fender hardware

My parts manual for K models shows a "2414W Oval head screw" that is 5/16 X 1-1/8" , but does not say chrome. The oval head rear fender screws on my K at this time are chrome, but I have no idea if they are original. I would use the chrome ones 44 Dwarf, just my $.02.
The fork tin screws are identified as "recessed truss head screw" which I think is another term for Phillips. It's getting hard to remember 48 years ago, exactly what screws were where. Have a good day.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:42 pm

Easiest to just buy the correct type and plated screws from Old Dude. http://www.olddude.com

Return to K-Models