FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Looking for K model pump gear?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Barry55KH

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:19 am

Looking for K model pump gear?

I am looking for a K model scavanger, or lower drive gear for my '52 series pump. I am basicly piecing a pump together. It looks a lot like a Pan Head gear, but uses a roll pin to hold the drive gear to the shaft. It should be about 3/8th in. height. Part Number 26320-52.

We are going to try to convert one from a tapered Pan Head gear, that has the same gear height. Be nice to have one already done.

Thank you.
Barry55KH
<<

Johnny

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:57 pm

Barry,
Try Bill Morris at (570) 759-9613.
<<

100incscoot

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:58 pm

i'm sure i qot one barry
<<

Barry55KH

Post Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:19 pm

Ok All,

Here is a little more discription of what I need. The gear is 14 teeth with a height of 3/8th on the gear face.

I think the one with the razed top is a pan head gear, and is 3/8th tall, and 14 teeth. A bunch of them came in the box that Tommy sent me. The shaft must be tapered for these. We will try to cut one of these down, and then drill it and cut the slot in if for the pin, if I can not find an original one.

The other is a KR feed gear, but shows the two cuts where the pin and shaft feed through. It has too many teeth and is too thin for the KH pump.

Hope this makes it a little clearer?

Thanks for the help!
Best regards,
Barry55KH
<<

Barry55KH

Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:20 am

Thanks for looking 100incscoot!

He e-mailed that he did not find one, so I am still looking.

Anyone alse think they have seen the elusive gear?

Thank you!

Barry55KH
<<

amklyde

Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:43 am

Barry, the gear you show is a panhead feed idler 48 to ? The drive gear might work better if the I.D. is the same as your shaft O.D. It would already have one key slot cut in and all you would have to do is add the second. The pan gear O.D. is 1" less .005-.010. If compatible to your shaft, the gear would be easy to get as the were used in all the 48 and later pans.
<<

Barry55KH

Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:09 pm

Thanks amklyde,

I originally thought it was a 45ci gear, but was looking on E-bay and saw that it was a Pan Head gear. I didn't know which one. It would likely be far easier to use the gear you speak of, and I will see if I can't find one locally, or through the FH Board.

That is "if" I don't find the one I am looking for. Bill Morris is working on it, but all he has found so far is the ones for Sportsters with 16 teeth. If he can't find it, I will have him look for the other Pan Head gear. I don't have a book, do you know the part number. I don't know that pump, so I don't know what a "drive gear" is aposed to a "feed gear".

Hey Johnny, thanks for the lead to Bill Morris.
<<

panic

Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:17 pm

Last edited by panic on Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Barry55KH

Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:03 pm

Good point Panic,

I am just going by the number on the body of the pump. The '56 and later models seem to all be marked -56, or after '61 -62. I just assumed that no one would put smaller diameter gears in a pump, and since it all seems to fit except the missing scavenger drive gear, it seems that it would be a '52 series.

The pump that came with the motor, had gears like the later Sportster sets, with 16 teeth and are larger, and flatter. Just like Sportster pump gears, but with the pin drive. It also had a pressure release valve, and my cases have the corresponding pressure release hole that feeds back to the cam area, just behind the sump drain. This pump did work at one time, but was matched with a bad pinion gear that slipped off the splines and miss timed the pump. It has no numbers stamped on it, but I have matched it with pictures of pumps off KR's.

We swapped it out for a '72 series, and have never been able to get the rings to seat for any good length of time in the last 20 years. Hence the move to a '52 numbered pump. Hoping to reduce consumption, and get more life out of it. Yes, also making torque plates, and using stock ring grove pistons. Likely Total Seal rings. Breather timing will likely be stock, unless we lengthen the duration by taking more metal from the pump tower closing side.

I am also going to plug up the side piston skirt oilers. It seems to be getting plenty of oil.

The gear I am looking for is definitely a scavenger gear, with pin drive and 14 teeth. Others I have found have been similar, close but no cigar!

I am happy as always to take any advice y'all are willing to give!

Best regards,
Barry55KH
<<

greybeard52

Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:00 am

Barry, when i first dug into my KH, the oill pump was trash-the body was badly chewed up by the scavange gear dirve pin. The pump body is marked -52. the scavange gears are 16 tooth, 1.115" in diameter and 0.341" tall. My scavange gears from the old pump are rather worn though, and one tooth on the drive gear has a mark in it. If you're interested, i'll send you some pics. If you're still interested after seeing the pics i'll send you the gears. G 8)
P.S. The supply gears were good and got used in the new(er) pump.
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice
<<

panic

Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:11 am

Last edited by panic on Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

amklyde

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:03 am

I dug out my original K to 59XL parts book this morning to see if I could figure out what changed in the pumps. The feed gear you are looking for 26323-52, was used at least to 1959. The scavenge gears were changed in 56. By 1959 the replacement part # for the K pump was 26203-52D, so it came in 5 varieties by then. The next pump 26217-56 was replaced with by 1959 with 26217-56A. It would take some serious detective work to define all the changes made to these pumps. You might want to try Sportster Specialties in Cal for the gear. If you can't find contact info for them, e-mail me I have it somewhere.
<<

Barry55KH

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:01 am

I checked with Kirk at Sporty Specialties, and he did not have one. I am still checking with others. The number of the gear that I am looking for is 26320-52, and is the sump drive gear. It looks to me, from the parts book, that they went to a key for holding the gear on in '56, and changed from split lock to the snap ring then, as Panic has pointed out. The breather gear I have is set up for the earlier pin drive. I do not know if the number of teeth was changed in '56, as I have never seen that year of pump body, though the book shows a change for bodies in '56.

I have a breather valve shaft set up for the pin drive. If I find the later gear will work with the Key drive, we will modify that gear to pin drive, or switch to a diferent breather as needed.

Right now we are stuck trying to convert the Pan Head gear, with the towering edge on it.

Barry55KH
<<

BREWSKI

Post Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:14 pm

You might want to try BOSTON GEAR,a catalog is available thru MOTION INDUSTRIES or whatever BEARINGS INC. calls themselves these days. I believe it's LINEAR MOTION. Boston gear has a HELL of a selection of gears on the shelf. BREWSKI
<<

Barry55KH

Post Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:36 am

Thanks Brewski!

I have a man working on making me one now, and if that don't work, I will look into something off the shelf. Still trying to track down an origanal, but am still puzled by the diferent types of pumps used in the same era. Some with presure relief valves, some without. Some with 16 teeth, and some with 14. I guess I should call Wipp and let him put in his two cents worth.

Best Regards,
Barry
<<

BREWSKI

Post Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:14 pm

Barry,if you're talking about Whip,I know him personally;used to party with him @ Davenport,almost bought a KR from him @ Wauseon one year. There were 1/4 turn KR pumps,this would explain part of the problem you're having with pump bodies and gears. I believe the XLR's also used a 1/4 turn pump which also adds to the confusion. BREWSKI+
<<

xlr

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:17 pm

OIL PUMP GEARS

HI I HAVE SEVERAL GEARS. CAN U GIVE ME DIM. U NEED? DO U NEED FEED OR RETURN?
<<

Barry55KH

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:28 am

I have a friend that has made one for me out of a Pan Head feed gear, but I have not seen the results yet. The gear is 14 teeth, with a 3/8th's face on the teeth, and a one inch diamiter across the gear. It has two slots in the center hole for the drive pin, with a larger area cut out to fit the keeper in.

It would be nice to have an origanal, so if you have one please let me know.

Thank you for looking!

Best regards,
Barry55KH
<<

xlr

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:00 am

k oil pump

sorry dont have. have for later pump
<<

Barry55KH

Post Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:04 pm

Thank you for looking XLR! I have lots of the 16 teeth ones. My friend Dave T. has likely finished the one he has been converting from the Pan Head one now. Hecked on my barrells today and they will be still another week until they can clean them up and re-lap the valves. I have to put the pump back in and re-time it, and put the motor back in the frame. Lots of stuff to do. Not enough time to do it.

Thanks again!
Barry55KH

Return to K-Models