FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Return Screen on KH oil pump

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Barry55KH

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:10 pm

Return Screen on KH oil pump

I am putting a K model oil pump in my KH, as I beleive a lot of the over oiling I am getting is coming from the bigger volume that the '72 pump puts out. We are also making a set of Torque plates, and I am putting in a set of K model pistons with the correct ring groves that I found New! They are Eastern MC, but must of been made before Gil decided to make them all the same as 45ci's with the small oil control rings.

My question is, if I am having over oiling problems, will removing the scatter screen before the breather valve help to get more oil out of the galley and keep it from backing up in the engine? If I blow it up, it will definately make a difference, but if I don't have to rebuild my top end every 1000 miles, I think it might be worth the risk. What do y'all think?

Barry55KH
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:15 pm

Hi Barry,

See my post on K/KH oil pumps and photos of what can happen when one run without the pump tower screen!!!!!

Patrick...
<<

Barry55KH

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:50 pm

Are you sure it was the missing screen that caused this broken breather gear? It does make one think though!

Barry55KH
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:03 pm

Hi Barry,

....replaced cam bushes by Torrington once on KHK, no shoulder to prevent them moving towards crank, so pin marked the back, loctited in but one exhaust Torrington did eventually move back, hit the crank, desintagrated and went through the missing screen....

I like danger, I still run without it!!! But now it's ball bearings all round, with retaining shoulders...

Patrick
<<

amklyde

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:18 am

Watch out for some of the aftermarket screens, the hole puncher got real lazy. It would take someone like Panic to figure out the actual flow loss, but a common sense guess would estimate 1/4-1/3 less flow. If you have one of these a/m parts around to compare with oem, the difference is immediately apparent.
<<

Barry55KH

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:33 am

Mine has lots of symetrical little holes. It was last put in by my mechanic that rebuilt the botom end. He said yesterday, about half of the old motors he rebuilds don't have a screen there. "You are rather hard on equitpment though!"

It seams to have a good mount of space between the screen and the pump tower/breather. I would think though that it does slow oil return to the cam case.

What are you using to secure them? Some kind of glue is neccessary or it will just bang arund in there. I can not find mention of it in my service book on Sportsters.

Thanks for the help!

Barry55KH

[/img]http://www.electronicfiles.net/files/864/Screen002.JPG
<<

Barry55KH

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:36 am

[http://www.electronicfiles.net/files/864/Screen002.JPG][/img]
<<

Barry55KH

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:38 am

http://www.electronicfiles.net/files/864/Screen002.JPG

I have not figured out the picture post function yet.

Barry55KH[/img]
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:31 pm

Hi Barry,

You need to click TWICE on the img bit and insert your url in the middle of it:

Personnaly, I think the screen just flap about in its space if it's not got the right curve... Just bend it until it sort of sticks in there.

Patrick
<<

panic

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:25 pm

Make the screen a pyramid entering the case cavity - more area, smaller holes.
<<

Barry55KH

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:01 pm

I was reading in the KR book that you can cut the closing part of the breather tower to lengthen the duration of the opening. I was thinking that if you cut it as a triangle that it would be better at getting oil out as the last part to close would be the bottom, where the last of the oil would be, and would keep the presure on it. This or it would start to collect some for the next cycle. Just a thought.

Barry55KH

Return to K-Models