Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions K-Models K Model Carb

K Model Carb

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:59 am
Pa Site Admin

Was told that this was what was on my KHK years ago. It is supposed to be an M53 A1 Linkert. Is it ? Pa

Post Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:41 am

PA,
It will be stamped on the pad on top of the front of the carburetor. I wouldn't buy a bare body as you will play hell finding all the other M53 A1 parts.

Post Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:30 pm
Pa Site Admin

I have'nt seen the carb up close Chris so I can't identify the numbers. The dude that has it is certain of it's identity though and he is honest as the day is old. I do remember the perty bronze finishes though. Thanks, Pa

Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:26 am

Looks like it has been blasted as original bodies are painted. I would shy away from a bare body.

Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:34 am

Pa!

The setscrew and undrilled lift lever pivot suggests that it is indeed a bombsight; Eric's BOS photos http://www.beautyofspeed.com/gallery/linkert/linkert.htm show all other bombsights to have their R number cast on the side shown in your photo, leaving this one to be a production carb, I would guess. That would seem to narrow it to M53s? I have a pic of a separated M53, but nowhere to post it. It appears to be the same, although there is a wider gap between "Mod" and "M". I cannot read your numbers below that.

I have only held a few of these in my hands, and cannot cite the differences that make an A1, but most parts can be whittled: The HS needle can be trimmed from a common one, and the nozzle isn't difficult if you have one to copy.
All I have on the LS needle is a memory blank.

The venturi is the hard part, even if one comes with it, as they invariably have shrank. They do not appear to be swage-able, easily anyway. (One of our Norwegian forum members had plans to reproduce these, and I requested oversized, or unfinished on the OD, as 1 1/2 models suffer the worst from throttledisc borewear. Alas, my stash of oversize discs are only 9s and 12s. I think the M-53 was a different degree?)

Another hard part might be to find a correct late side bowl, although any should service.

....Cotten

Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:51 pm
Pa Site Admin

Thanks Fella's. Cotten...I will try and get multiple view and much higher resolution photos from him. Pa

Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:28 pm

the # is on the side of the top just like a m74b not on the top center

the bowls not a big problem
the real hard part to find is the correct choke lever/shaft
they are like hens teeth

paul i have a m53A1 i'm getting ready to send to mutt for restore since he has every part needed to do it correctly if you want one thats ready to go

Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:05 pm

Post Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:10 pm

gr8 picture too

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:39 am

I think the M53 has the bombsight but not the M53 A1. At least that's what I've found in the past.
Eric
Eric @ B.O.S
www.beautyofspeed.com
A state of the art power quest

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:43 am
Pa Site Admin

Thanks Mike,
I wasn't in the market for one. I just was reminising my KHK models carbs with them and trying to dig into me ole personal hard drive for instant replays of the past. I figured I might stir the old memory by asking around and viewing more pics. When Mutt gets her done you will have to post some pics of her. Pa

Post Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:46 am

your correct eric
if fact stiring a memory is what you did

will do paul

Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:38 pm

Good job Charles !

Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:35 pm

Tremendously good info!

Now we know why we push these buttons...

Many many thanks,

...Cotten

Post Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:42 pm

i figured you would come out of the woodwork mutt

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:24 am

Thanks for the info. I have never seen a two piece choke shaft like that. I've had several M53 carbs and all of them had the one piece choke shaft so I had no idea they even existed.
Eric
Eric @ B.O.S
www.beautyofspeed.com
A state of the art power quest

Post Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:00 pm

nos dc linkert one

Return to K-Models