Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions K-Models 1954 KR lower end

1954 KR lower end

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:37 pm

What 45" flywheels and rods will fit into a 1954 KR lower end?

Post Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:55 pm
xlr

wr

Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:46 pm

they used the same flywheel setup as in the WR untill 1955 when they changed to the new stronger 55R setup.if you're going to race it i would recommend the S&S flywheels with either stock sportster rods or S&S rods. you have to use their crankpin as the taper is different. the sprocket and pinion shaft are available thru a couple of different companies such as eastern. the pinion shaft for a WR is different than a KR in that they oil differently from each other. one oils thru the side and the other on the end if i recall properly.one of the problems with the WR flywheels is that they tend to get cracks around the crankpin area. always get them magnafluxed during assembly
barry

Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:35 pm

I'm about to list a complete set of the later flywheels with rods, crankpin, etc. if you're interested.

Cheers,

S.

Post Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:30 pm
xlr

barry so very true. i have put togeaher 4 s@s flywheels with r shafts. and sportster rods. best way. then u can get parts for crank pin. r stuff getting hard to find mostley wore out. also tapers for shafts and pin lot of times in old wheels they r egg shaped. wr stuff pretty weak.

Return to K-Models