FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

52 k model questions

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

44dwarf

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:23 pm

52 k model questions

Hi Gang.

Got my K out on the road! even inspected too.

I metal i found in the oil tank was more then I'd like to see but i found the rubber tip seal that goes in before the filter was in upside down thus the filter was not in use. I'm going to ride it and change out the oil after every ride to flush any crud out.

Ride is nicer then I expected. Whats top speed? seems to go 65 no problem with 7/8 of throttle left to go. 65 is plenty for me but i wounder on top speed?

No rattling is heard but then again my helmet is a quiet one. If i'm cruising at steady speed with full advance and cut back the spark advance i can feel and hear the motor come up on peak power. Is this normal is this how your supposed to do it?
All my older friend's (i'm 36) had / have mags on there bikes so they are not much help on this one.

Anyone got a busted /dented speedo for cheap? Mine bounces all over i want another to dissect so i can fix mine. I've work on car speedos and calibrating them before but don't like to go in blind.

Thanks guys.

44Dwarf
"Smok'in the competition NOT Tobacco"
"Transplant organs, Don't bury them!"
Why dwarf? 5/8 scale race cars! http://www.dwarfcarracing.com
<<

Dave56KHK

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:00 pm

John Bordas (Bordas Speedometer Shop) does a great job on K model speedo's and is quite reasonable. He advertises in the AMCA magazine.

Dave Swanson
1956 KHK
<<

44dwarf

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:00 pm

Thank you!
<<

Barry55KH

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:12 pm

I just came in from starting mine up for the first time this rebuild. Took about twenty kicks to get the carb set, but then it fired right up. Seems strong and louder than it used to be, so the breather timing is likely in a much better place. Very good compression in both holes after turning her off. Too rainy to ride today, not that it hasn’t been there before, but I don’t like to be figuring out problems on the side of the road in the pouring rain.

44dwarf,

I would take it easy on that KH until you have some miles on it. 65 is a lot fast for a new break in, but likely wont hurt it. The book is really conservative on the break in. I am going to run mine up to temp, let it cool, then run it up to temp a couple of times. I likely wont run it on the freeway until I get 300 miles on it.

There is some talk in the book about changing the spark advance on hills and such, but I would just use it to retard the bike for starting, and then run it full advance all the time. What year of bike, or is 44dwarf an AKA for someone I already know?

I also use the battery ignition, and still run 6-volt, as it works more than well. The only trouble I have is when I am too cheep to buy a new battery and then not only fry the battery, but also the voltage regulator trying to keep up with the sour battery. Keep it on a tender, and get a new one every other year.

Good luck!

Barry55KH
<<

44dwarf

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:24 pm

My bike a well used 1952 K model just got it. Like i said 65 is more then plenty. Even at slow speeds tuning the advance you can feel it nose over at full advance.
I love points there simple and you can fix them unlike a mag where you have to send'em out or rewind your self and thats a pain.

I ended up getting a new sealed gell cell off e-bay. Same 12 amp hour rateing as the stock lead acid. think it was $18 to my door. It's wider then stock but it fits.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gell-Cell-6V-12Ah-S ... dZViewItem

44dwarf
http://www.dwarfcarracing.com
Dwarf car is a 5/8 scale open wheel motorcycle powerd car.
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:00 pm

Hi 44 dwarf,

Are you saying that, when you close the advance, the engine picks up a bit, i.e runs "better"...

If so, it could be you've got a tad too much advance.

The ignition mark on the flywheel is at 30 degrees BUT the K specs calls for 25 to 27 degrees only, i.e set your points to open when the mark is on the LEFT of the viewing window. There's a factory diagram for all Ks ignition (K, KK, KH, KHK, KRM, KHRM) on my site but can't remember on which page... Sorry........

Found it: http://www.harleykrxlrtt.com/images/timing.jpg

I had a 53' KK that would hit 90mph, the gearing is roughly the same as K so a K might hit that if you give it enough room and time...

Patrick
<<

44dwarf

Post Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:56 pm

Yes it like less advance.
I tought i'd hear it rattle if to far advanced but i can not.

Thanks for the link!!

K model info is hard to find on the web. I real want to get Whip's video but he's out of stock. :cry:

Thanks again.
<<

hans56kh

Post Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:25 am

At small throttle opening best performance should be with full advance. At full throttle slightly retarded might be best. K model top speed should be 80-85 Mph, a bit slower than the KK which has much faster cams.
<<

ramjet

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:15 am

Hey 44dwarf, I have seen you for years on the dwarf car site. I raced those out here in Ca. with NorCal. I also raced the Harley flatheads, back in the day. When KRs ruled, I worked for a HD shop in Stockton Ca. Was owned by Andres, whose son was Grand Nat. Champion in '55.
(Brad Andres)
Anyway, I am building a 52K, and would like to find a KHK, if anyone out there knows of one, please let me know. Thanks.

Ramjet
<<

greybeard52

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:45 am

Timing is rather subjective, my '54 KH likes the mark in the right side of the timing hole, about 4-5 degrees more than yours. Go figure. G :?
P.S. Mine is electronic ignition, single spark mechanical auto advance. 40 deg. F it starts with 3 priming kicks and one with switch on.
<<

xlr

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:49 am

hi theres a 53 kr on ebay dosent look to bad. ram where u at i did and still do race krs on weast coast
<<

44dwarf

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:30 pm

I saw that one on e-bay.
Lovenly restored yet it smokes? Is that a electronic voltage reg?
Looks like a 54 front fender too (just like mine, i'd love to find a 52 fender)
His reserve was high too $7990 and not met.

<<

ramjet

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:54 pm

52K model questions

Started out at Lodi Cycle Bowl, in the late 50s. Home of Kenny Roberts and Chris Carr. Stayed mostly out in Ca. Rode at West Capital, in Sac. when they had TT's there. Rode at Selma, TT. Hayward Speedway, Antioch, Perris, etc.
<<

xlr

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:23 pm

hi sounds like maby we could have run into each other. i started in 61 bought my first harley off charlie west. worked for tom for a while. and phil cancilla. lived in san jose for sometime. sometime ago drug my old kr out. chris rudy rode for me for a while. we were # 1 on west coast. at present a friend mike and i built a kr for chris of his own. i have a ton of kr stuff some new some used. got lot from tom and andres when his bro grene passed away. some from roger riemen. at present have shop here make and resrore kr xlr xr 750 parts. YEA LODI CYCLE BOWL. we still race there. where u at now?
<<

ramjet

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:04 pm

52K model questions

I was at Reiman's auction, in Kewanee, Il. I didn't see any KR stuff there that was good, mostly used up. I am about fifteen miles from the Cycle Bowl. I spent alot of time racing the Triumph dealer from Stockton. Glen A. McGill, has a son, John. He and I raced side by side thru novice, amature, and expert, in Dist.36. Then did some class C stuff. Where is your shop, now? You must know Joe Leonard, being from San Jose.
<<

xlr

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:17 pm

most of stuff was hid out. i got a very rare set of factory alum heads for a xlr belive only 6 sets made. u know marsh runyon he has one set. yes know joe well i see him at least once a week. friend on mine has shop in san jose. once a week wend. nites we have race nite. lot of old racers show up joe, porkey ect bout 20 old racers show up. u know al rudy/ he rode for tom before kenny. how bout mony miller? gilroy
<<

xlr

Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:22 pm

hi ramjet check ur mail i left my #

Return to K-Models