FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

K or KH workshop manual

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

hans56kh

Post Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:43 am

K or KH workshop manual

Was there ever a K or KH workshop manual?
Anybody selling photocopies?
<<

Barry55KH

Post Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:15 pm

Hi Hans,

They made no service manual. The K models were so much like the 45's that they figured that most could get along with just the riders handbook, and the factory would update dealers via the Shop Dope supplements. When they knew that the XL project was a go, then they figured that the K model manual was unnecessary. At least that is what I have read somewhere. It kind of makes sense.

I have a Sportster Manual, but it is not always correct. Panic recently told me that the timing mark on the KH flywheel is at 26 degrees, and if I had known that it was that much different than a Sportster (40 degrees), it would have saved me much oil and grief. What do you need to know about it?

I have a lot of good and bad experience with mine. When you are working on a running model and just want to keep it running, most of the information will be in the riders hand book. The early K book had information on setting the oil pump breather, but it does very much depend on the pump you are using, as I found out. For a lot of things it depends on the year, and what has been modified in the bike. Your bike as I have seen it, should not be a big problem, unless you have a lot of worn out parts that are not available any more. I know you are doing a total engine rebuild, so it depends on what you are putting back in it. For lower end figures, most Sportster figures will work, like Cam end play etc...

as usual, ask away!
Best Regards,
Barry55KH
<<

greybeard52

Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:12 am

Hans, if, as i deduce from your user name, you have a 56KH, most of the information you need will be in the early XL shop manual, and what that doesn't cover is in either the riders handbook or shop bulletins. Or ask a question here on this board. There are at least 3 regulars that currently have KH's. G 8)
<<

hans56kh

Post Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:49 am

K or KH workshop manual

A guy in Holland inherited his fathers KH and asked me the question. I had the same impression as you guys, just wanted to be sure.
Still amazing to me that HD sold 4000 bikes in 4 years without bothering to produce a shop manual. Guess the mechanics at the dealers were rather expert in those days. Indeed, the engine part looks a lot like "45" and the transmission can be understood from the parts list.

Return to K-Models