FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

excess oil issue in KHR

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

tghook

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:55 am

excess oil issue in KHR

I have owned two KHR's over the last 15 or so years, First bike i did not have for very long but it had a problem with the front cylinder fouling in a few minutes and lots of oil slobber, owner told me he though it had broken rings do to the cylinder getting washed in gas from a stuck float. I now own another with the same exact oiling issue. Starts up and runs fine but soon fouls and oil slobbers out the front cylinder, if you pull the timing mark plug while running it spews oil out heavily and the flywheels seem heavy with oil. I am no expert but i think the flywheels are flinging oil in the front cylinder due to excess oil in the crankcases. My thoughts are the crankcase breather is out of time. I am looking for advise, anybody have any suggestions?
<<

GuS

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:30 pm

Re: excess oil issue in KHR

tghook

This got the 1/4 speed breather? I assume only reliable way to check timing is to take off cam cover.
Have you tried to drain the crancase? It shuld not hold much oil. Excessive oil could be an indication of breather is out of timing.
Remember a post describing a restrictor and improved flywheel oil scraper. Maybe over-oiling is an issue on these? viewtopic.php?f=19&t=9545&p=72911&hilit=drain+crankcase&sid=917511f5e7b0a9e274a182590689b996#p72911
GuS
<<

wilko

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:47 pm

Wet sumping. Drain your crankcase after a layup. Mind you, a friends KH always smoked no matter what piston and ring combo he used. He eventually sold it in despair.
<<

GuS

Post Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:38 pm

Tghook.
I changed oil on my 45 stroker today. 1 dl of oil came out of the crankcase. Have never done a measureement before, but this is aporox what Ive seen coming out before. 1dl isapprox 3.4 oz.
GuS
<<

Barry55KH

Post Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:06 pm

Do a search on "Wet Up Top", as we have been on this a lot. Four things to a cure, Hastings rings, with the correct pistons for KH, not with the 45 CI ring sets like Eastern likes to supply, cause he is cheap. Get the ones with the wider Oil control ring gap. Use an original KH oil pump with the pressure relief valve. Make sure you have a pinion shaft with about a .090 oil hole in the center of the shaft. We used a left hand philips head screw with a .090 hole drilled in it, and some lock tight to keep the screw in there. It has to have the right left hand thread. I don't have onethat is not in a bike, but you can measure it and order it.

Then put in a anti sump valve between the oil bag and the nozzle on the cases. This will keep it from sumping, and ruining the rings. Just one of these will not work, and to make it work, you have to start with fresh rings and a good fresh crosshatch. You will say, "wow", as you will have more power than you ever thought that a flathead would have! All other cures, plating the cylinders before honing, or boring may help, but never helped me.... Keep the oil out of the bottom, and it will run like a raped ape!

Return to K-Models