FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Ol' Smoky!

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Nick55KH

Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Ol' Smoky!

Friend of mine has just had a rebore on his KH cylinders and it smoked badly from the get go, so we pulled the cylinders again and found nothing in particular. Upon close inspection we realised it had been resleeved in the past and the cylinder linings seem to be made of a particularly hard material which has been verified by a local mechanic.It seems it wasn't cross hatched properly and he said it was too hard for his honer.Any idea what kind of honer will be needed. It was always a smoker from the last rebuild so i'm thinking it has never been honed properly from the beginning.
<<

Nick55KH

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:28 pm

Re: Ol' Smoky!

Guys we posted this on the 45 board as we were not getting any love:

Hiya,
Yeah I know it's not an M88 question but I've had no luck in the K section...

We have a 54KH that is running an M53; now historically this engine has been a bad smoker. We've mooted the oil restrictor idea that got kicked around in the K forum a while back but we aint buying that they left the factory like this... We've just installed a third set of rings, perfect bore and hone, we tried different grades of honing... (by an expert level machine shop that builds a ton of engines) to .004" – no good still smoking... NOW we noticed that the high sped adjustment on carb is doing nothing. ie. we screw it all the way down at speed and the engine runs on fine, SO our new theory is that the carb is far too rich and is thinning the oil allowing it to pass the rings?

Any believers out there?

If so what is the most likely scenario for wear on the high speed side; the part we suspect is listed as a #9 type, I'm no expert but have had the bike running well for 20 years but must confess the high speed adjustment never seemed to alter the power much at all? Now that I own a 45 also and have been repairing the KH for all eternity I have to say the 45 is far more trouble free bike...

Thanks fellas, Nick.
Last edited by Nick55KH on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Barry55KH

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:48 am

Nice theory about the Gas being too rich, and of course you can not check this because it is burning far too much oil. My machinist thought the same thing, and we went through three sets of rings, after going through countless pistons, rings, more rings and more pistons... for 20 years... Even made torque plates, and used special ring break in lube from Hastings. The best results through all this trouble was Total Seal rings, with Hastings three piece oil rings, that Total Seals no longer sell in sets. So, I bought two sets, one from Hastings and one from Total Seal, and it still burned oil, but not as much.... Maybe 150 miles to the quart. Better than the rings that come with the pistons, if you get the correct ones set up for K model pistons, and not the ones that Eastern set up for 45ci rings. They may work if your engine is set up correctly not to over oil, but if not you will burn about 29 miles to the quart.

I know you said, "We've mooted the oil restrictor idea that got kicked around in the K forum a while back but we aint buying that they left the factory like this... " and you are correct! They did change the pinion shafts from the K models to the Sportster models as a running change in 1957. The pumps volume changes little, but there was more oil going up stairs to oil the top, so a bigger hole was likely needed to get oil to the crank shaft. Unless your motor has an original shaft, then likely the pinion shaft was replaced with a later model Sportster shaft. Bigger hole, more oil, soaking down the pistons, rings, and cylinder walls with way too much oil.

Here is an easy way to check though. I welded up my drain plug as I felt it was a nuisance always leaking, but if yours is still working, un screw it with a pan under in and measure the amount of oil that comes out. It should be less than three onuses or so, or just enough to touch the bottom of the fly wheels. If you get a half a cup or more, well then there is way too much!

You will have put new rings in even after you restrict the pinion shaft, but this is the way to get the bloody things to seal. I would have to go back to "Wet up top" to get all the figures. I think it was .090 in the left hand screw. It was .410 before... But I would have to look it up.

I know that this did, work though, and my bike, with the regulard hastings rings, with three piece oil ring, is getting 300 to 400 miles to the quart, and that is running hard. The oil does not turn black in 4o miles like it used to, and my plugs look pretty normal, thogh I think it is still getting more oil than nessisary pat the rings onto the back cylinder. I am pretty happy with the whole set up! I just don't have the time to ride much, or the weather this time of year in Seattle.

Best of luck!
Barry55kh
[img][/img]
Last edited by Barry55KH on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
<<

Barry55KH

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:02 am

Why can I never figure out how to upload photos to this thing? I did it before, but now, no luck!

What do you mean IMAGESHACK. ??????? Is this code? I can get nothing to work on this site since signing back in, and am about done.
Last edited by Barry55KH on Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

panic

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:21 am

Last edited by panic on Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:32 am

Barry55KH wrote:Why can I never figure out how to upload photos to this thing? I did it before, but now, no luck!

Try using IMAGESHACK. Pa
<<

Nick55KH

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:23 pm

A picture of my high speed needle! Crappy picture, must get a new camera! It measures 3.63 inches. Image
<<

Barry55KH

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:03 am

I still don't get it PA, I see Img, and Photo, but if I try to use them nothing happens. If I try to upload a file nothing happens. Is there anyone that can discribe how to do it? I was able to do it 6 months ago with ease.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:33 am

Sorry...this is imageshack http://imageshack.us/ Click browse, select your image file and click open the resize file tab. Select 640 x 480. Don't forget to check the box next to it. Now click "start upload". Now wait until the page changes. Scroll down to the url link with the check box next to it. Uncheck the box and copy the link [the complete link] imageshack provided. Paste that link on here in one of your replies. Pa
<<

Barry55KH

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:29 am

Oh, so the images can not be on this forum' impage page to have them import? It seems like I could do it before... I have a few up on other posts from a year ago, but I can not reember how I did it? oh well..... thanks for your help.

Barry

OK, I got it, but it was not easy! I linked to one in the photo Gallery.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:42 pm

Sorry again Barry. I didn't realize you were talking about the forum's photo software. I personally do not like the forum's pic provisions. Many viewers cannot see them. Pa
<<

Dave56KHK

Post Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:23 pm

What kind of air filter are you running. Sounds like it might be restrictive. Try running without the filter and see how it acts.

Return to K-Models