FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

KHK Cams

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Dave56KHK

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:25 pm

KHK Cams

I got 2 sets of cams when I bought my 56 KHK project. 1 set of KH cams, and what looks like the original set that are numbered 1 thru 4. This set looks exactly like a set of KR cams that I have that are also numbered 1 thru 4.

My question - were KHK cams stamped with "KHK" or were the KHK's supplied with the numbered KR cams?
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:52 pm

Re: KHK Cams

No, Dave,

KK/KHK cams are just numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4. Opening lobes are slightly convex, unlike KH cams, most likely derived from 1952 KR lobes. KK/KHK lift is .395, std KH is .295.

Patrick
<<

Dave56KHK

Post Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:56 pm

Thanks Patrick. I always wondered about that.

Truing the flywheel today. Getting ready for motor assembly, finally!
<<

RUBONE

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:27 am

I have an original 55KHK and also some extra cams. They are ALL marked KHK. Not sure if all of tem were or if KK and other odd variants had similar cams with only numbers. They all also have the narrow gears.
Robbie
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:01 pm

Donno, Rubone, and welcome to this forum,

Have had this 54 KHK for 21 years now, and also had a 53 KK in the past, both sets of cams are only marked 1 to 4... And both sets were to the KH narrow shaft patern, not the wider K patern.

Another friend has a set that came off a ruined KK or KHK, again... 1 to 4!!!

Maybe the factory started stamping them KHK when they started making the model in greater numbers, 1956?

Patrick
<<

RUBONE

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:09 pm

Patrick,
I know that my '55KHK has never been messed with too much as far as the major parts go. I bought it in '77 and it had '71 plates on it. Broken trans took it down at that point. It was over-bored and had scout pistons in it, otherwise stock. I bought it because the owner went to every shop around and offered it up and everyone laughed him off since it was a K! I was working for a dealer at the time and the parts manager came back and asked if I was interested since I messed with old junk. I had to have it as it still had the stock fenders, tank ,etc, including the front fender emblem. It has only had three owners including me. I spent a lot of time researching it over the years. As I said, the cams are all marked KHK , such as 1KHK, 2KHK, and so on with the punchmark above the number like some of the KR cams.
Robbie
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:39 pm

Hi again, Robbie,

And I'm sure you're still glad you bought it!!! Same as me!!! They do grow on you, don't they!!!

Still amases me that, with so few years of production, we still learn something everyday about them...

So, another one for the books, some stamped, some not... For sure, 54 and 55 KHK production numbers are very low, so who knows, different guys on the cam grinder? Wouldn't surprise me!!!

Something I'm still trying to understand the meaning: mine (and other KH/KHK... but not all of them...) have a big "C" stamped in front of the engine number, usually just below the front cylinder base... Does yours have it?

All the best from Patrick
<<

suicideshovel65

Post Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:59 pm

Hi guys,

I've seen KHKs with both the numbered (1-4) and lettered (1-4KHK) cams. I believe both to be stock, and think that they probably started on the later lettered cams when they ran out of numbered stock. All the KKs I've seen have only had the numbered cams. As do the KHRMs I believe.

BTW Patrick, a 56 KH RHS case half that I have sitting in front of me has the C stamped inside the cases above the rear exhaust cam bushing. I reckon this is to do with the upgrades to the gear sets in production. I seem to recall having seen KHs with a D, and you will note that the -54 trapdoor subsequently has an E cast into it.

Cheers,

Simon
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:26 am

Thanks Simon,

This is my own conclusion on this "C", but would like to find some written confirmation somewhere!!!

Yes, the "D" was stamped after 57 on all the KH replacement cases held at the factory when their 6 bolts trap door was updated to 4 bolts Sportster trap door (6 bolts ones were not a separate item, it came paired to the case set, 4 bolts can be swaped...). There is written evidence of that.

And if there are C's and D's, what was, if ever, A's and B's!!! never seen any...

Patrick
<<

suicideshovel65

Post Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:16 pm

Hi Patrick,

The written confirmation, if it is to be found, will likely be in a Shop Dope or other supplement. I'm only just starting to sift through mine now. They're great!

I'm reminded of a grail quest or similar - searching through ancient (or should I say "vintage") documents, looking for clues to the whereabouts of the Sacred Scrolls of Harley...said to contain the key to deciphering the codes left to us by the old ones.

I reckon that the stamping of a C or D was done by either the dealer at the time of upgrading a customer's machine to new gears, or by the factory for case assemblies after a particular number (ie when the gear sets were introduced). I've seen variations in the location of this stamping, both external and internal.

Some hypotheses for you:

1. The stamping was part of the upgrade procedure to enable the easy indentification of upgraded machines. This would suggest that stamping the outside of the cases (or trapdoor!) be a more logical choice than inside the cases. This would suggest that there be some factory communication instructing authorised dealers to stamp cases in this way, or at least advising them that the factory would be doing so. I'm still reading through my Shop Dope and haven't come across it yet.

2. The C was done at the time of the countershaft upgrade (no cross-drilled oil hole) from engine 54KH2040?

3. The D stamping was done at the time of the change to the later "huskier" countershaft 3rd and mainshaft 2nd gears from engine #55KH 1706? (Both the 24 and 23 tooth versions, and those stamped with a 4 to indicate the uprated material and heat treatment? Shope Dope states that some earlier numbers will have the uprated c/s 3rd gear.)

These are very likely wrong, however there may be similar milestones that are documented in all of this. I'll try and put them in order as I read, unless someone already has the info and can share. In a new thread - sorry for the highjack.
<<

Ame Elia

Post Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:46 am

Re: KHK Cams- Devils Advocate

Hope you don't mind me cutting in here..

I have done buies. with these folks...Not a lot but many deals..
Never once did they deliver the goods late despite the fact that I live clean accross the country...
Every item they sold me was exactly as advertised...
I don't really think they claim to be Harley experts...
They just sell bike parts with no preference to type/make/model...Just bike parts...
I can't make out if thats really kh or khk...You can always ask them to show a cleaner picture or the number block...
I'm sure they'll do just that...
Good luck........
<<

Mad Mac's

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:34 am

Posted a want ad for khk or kr cams.. if any of you folks want to sell or trade.. please let me know!!!!
Thanx!!
When they're running you out of town.. get out in front and make it look like a parade.
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:27 am

<<

Mad Mac's

Post Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:56 pm

Keeping an eye on them.. but the price may exceed my wallet...
On the other hand.. remembered Kurt at 45 Depot has the blocks I need!! And at a reasonable price!!
When they're running you out of town.. get out in front and make it look like a parade.
<<

44dwarf

Post Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:42 am

"Smok'in the competition NOT Tobacco"
"Transplant organs, Don't bury them!"
Why dwarf? 5/8 scale race cars! http://www.dwarfcarracing.com
<<

Mad Mac's

Post Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:45 pm

I got the ebay ones.. more than I could afford, but less than any other option I had. Now to save up for the blocks from kurt, last parts I need, and I can build my Kro-Magnum motor. KHk in a set of 45 cases to push my 49 servi better. :D

Return to K-Models