FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

54KHK with 57 Sportster top

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Kurt

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:46 am

54KHK with 57 Sportster top

Anyone ever see this combo?

Had a customer come in with pix this morning. Good looking bike, but are there any special issues.....and/or......has this already been talked about?

He wants to put it back to stock, but I said it may be better left alone........comments?

He's going to send me pix to post.

Kurt
<<

Barry55KH

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:34 am

Re: 54KHK with 57 Sportster top

Hi Kurt,

I would check to see if the tapet blocks are K model or Sportster? I have seen Sportsters stamped with K model numbers when a title was not available. The angles just don't line up to put a Sportster top on a K model bottom. It is eazier to buy a Sportster or a K model engine.

Best Regards,
Barry55KH
<<

panic

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:04 am

Re: 54KHK with 57 Sportster top

Choices:
1. bad numbers as described
2. K-style cams - adds a new and bad angle to the pushrod at both ends, since the tappet block (either K or Sportster) is angled in the right case and should not be for the XL box
3. Sportster cams - the tappets will do #2. above, and also make edge contact between the lobe and roller edge
4. actually welding or plugging the tappet block holes and re-drilling at the proper XL angles - I've not only never seen this done, the question instantly caused the conversation to cease when posed to the owner/builder/planner of such a project

Return to K-Models