FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

KHR flywheels

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

suicideshovel65

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:09 pm

KHR flywheels

Hi everyone, here are some pics of the elusive KHR flywheels that came with a 55 KHR project; from what I have been able to learn about them these take the -55R big rods and pin. 4 9/16 stroke, same as KH and KHK.

It would be interesting to run a set of these in an XLR motor.

<<

thefrenchowl

Post Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:17 am

Re: KHR flywheels

Hi Simon,

Yep, that's what I've got in my XLRTT!!! I know for sure cause I kept for a while timing the mag on the slash and it kept overheating, that is until I put a degree wheel on it!!!

Patrick
<<

suicideshovel65

Post Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:25 am

Yes, now I recall that story. What a blast it must be to ride - I can only imagine the excitement and anxiety of taking it out for it's first run as you did! I'll have to go back and re-read your posts about it.

I only hope my XLR motor arrives - it's been several weeks now and the seller is difficult to reach...
<<

mike100m

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:52 pm

Hi Patrick
When our late friend and forum member Jim (XLR) Carpenter passed away he left 3 of his bikes to a mutual friend of mine and Simons named Chris Rudy. One of the bikes, (an XLR), Jim was in the final stages of assembly and he had built it as a stroker motor.
Chris had been invited to the spring TT race in Peoria where they were having a twins race to show the crowd what the big bikes use to be like before the AMA downsized the series to the singles. I ended up only having two weeks to get the bike ready actually only fired it and Chris rode it up the street and back and we loaded it in the truck for the drive from Calif. to Illinois. We got there unloaded and fired it and the Tillotson wouldn't run much passed 3rd throttle which as it turned out was all the 5 plate (dry) clutch would stand anyways as it started slipping. I'm hoping the HD Barnett plates and springs will hold this torque monster. Anyways Chris ended up finishing 12th out of 16 so it wasn't a total loss. There's always next year.

Anyways back on subject. What did you find as optimum for ignition timing? I set it at the 48 degrees as per my manual.
Thanks
Mike

thefrenchowl wrote:Hi Simon,

Yep, that's what I've got in my XLRTT!!! I know for sure cause I kept for a while timing the mag on the slash and it kept overheating, that is until I put a degree wheel on it!!!

Patrick
<<

mike100m

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:55 pm

Simon
Are you in country? Give me a call.
Mike

suicideshovel65 wrote:Yes, now I recall that story. What a blast it must be to ride - I can only imagine the excitement and anxiety of taking it out for it's first run as you did! I'll have to go back and re-read your posts about it.

I only hope my XLR motor arrives - it's been several weeks now and the seller is difficult to reach...
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:36 pm

Hi Mike,

Yes, XLR Jim, he knew his stuff!!! RIP...

When I discovered my timing mistakes, the bike was on pure methanol with early 3"3/16 Dytch pistons and a modified 70's MGAL. Friends familiar with methanol told me it needed a bit more advance than on gas so I set it at 50 degrees. These last months, sick of the methanol/castor oil palava (and the power... just TOO much for the short std wheelbase and my skills...), I have fitted S&S 8 to 1 pistons and a race Tillotson in/on it but haven't fired it yet. Backed the advance at 48 degrees as per book, we'll see.

On methanol, I never had a slip problem with the std 7 + 7 dry plates/springs, even on the "proper" French hill climb I went to once...

Patrick

Return to K-Models