FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Interesting TT bike

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

suicideshovel65

Post Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:52 pm

Interesting TT bike

Hi everyone, here's an interesting desert sled - frame is a Jerry Branch homologation special from ca. 1963 or 64? A total of 6 or so made AFAIK, raced at the big TTs. I know of at least 2 still to exist in CA; unsure of the others.

You can see where he has adapted springer rear legs for the struts, tomahawks, modified stock neck, vertically mounted shocks. All for the purpose of homologation by using "stock" Harley parts.

You can also see pics of this in one of the Harley books I believe.

Simon
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:53 am

Re: Interesting TT bike

Hi Simon,

Interesting indeed!!! Looks a bit like an early attempt before the factory "High Boy" 1966 variation...

I've just recently re-read "Mann of his time" by Ed Youngblood, seems that the AMA had to loosen the belt regarding frames after the G50 Matchless homologation problems of 63/64 (they allowed Mann to use the G50 frame in TT but not in road racing!!!). After that, they all started variations on the std frames, Belland, Lawwill, Branch and the factory soon followed!!!

So I would personnally date it sometime after 64.

See you've got the nice radially finned race rear drum on that as well... Keep on finding rare bits!!!

All the best from Patrick
<<

suicideshovel65

Post Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 am

Thanks Patrick - sounds spot on.

Note that this engine is an earlier one and is a cross between a KRM and a 55"er (I think KHRM) - you can see the clearancing on the fins for the vertical Wico.

I can't wait to get the covers off and see what cams and wheels are in there!
<<

thefrenchowl

Post Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:46 pm

Hi Simon,

On my H-D ignition timing sheet for Ks, on my site, it does mention 2 different ignition timings for KRM/KHRM, one for the ones fitted with std K or KH cams and one for those fitted with KHK cams!!!
Both versions had the vertical Wico except 55 ones fitted with 1st version of vertical Fairbanks-Morse.

Patrick
<<

suicideshovel65

Post Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:57 pm

Thanks Patrick - good to keep in mind.

This looks like an oddity, I think RHS case is 53, LHS possibly a later case restamped with the KRM VIN; but I have the original 1950s pink slip in hand for these numbers.

The cylinders are -54 castings - I don't know what flywheels or cams it has in it yet...

Return to K-Models