Board index Flathead Power-Technical Questions, Answers, and Suggestions Morthodites-"Non Factory" replacement 6volt batteries

replacement 6volt batteries

Built something weird, one-off or want to? Ask or tell us about it here.

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

Post Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:02 pm

quite some time ago now there was a discussion of maintaining batteries for bike collections that may not get ridden that often and Frankenstein mentioned the camcorder "C" batteries.Are these the rechargeable nicads?
I have a 1927 J and a few other bikes but don't want to keep buying the lead acid batteries due to the; high maint.,cost, and also the damage when they leak.

Post Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:02 pm

I've had this for years with grasstrcak bikes with total loss ignition sysems. I just keep a couple of batteries and rotate them, on the basis that you can only ride one bike at once.
Shoot, a man could have a good weekend in Dallas with all that stuff...

Post Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:22 am

Yeah, I used to recommend the Nicads, but the sealed batteries are now low priced and everywhere. The self discharge is very low, and typically just one refresh over the winter seems to be adequate.

"The preceding is one man's opinion, your results may vary" :D

Post Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:10 am

thanks for the replies.that is just the sort of information that I was looking for

Post Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:18 pm

I went with the 6volt sealed lead acid battery and found one that fit fairly good with a 12 amp hr rating.
I made a simulator top out of plastic and used that under the battery box cover to make the connections.
These type of batteries use the spade connectors and I unplug the + side when not in use
all is well so far.

Return to Morthodites-"Non Factory"