FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Timing a '79 Sporty

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Frankenstein

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:54 am

Timing a '79 Sporty

Well, it finally happened, and I'm working on something built in the Seventies. :( It's a 79 sporty that someone else pulled apart, and now I'm "pickin' up the pieces". Next step is timing the bugger. It's got a solid state timer ass'y, no points, and I believe the black lump on the timing plate said "dyna" something. Bike's not here so I can't run outside and look. Question is how do you do the preliminary timing on this system? How do you set the mechanical advance to the right static position on the cam so the darn thing will at least start? My only sporty book is for 70-71, so it's a little old.
Thanks,
Dr Dumbfounded Dick
<<

Curt!

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:34 am

Re: Timing a '79 Sporty

Dr. Dick
This instruction sheet should be pretty close. This is for the single fire setup, but the dual fire times the same way.

http://www.dynaonline.com/english/instruct/DS6-1.pdf
Curt!
<<

Frankenstein

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:45 am

Wow, fast service. Thanks Curt, much appreciated. Just what I needed to know.
Dr Dick
<<

Curt!

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:02 pm

You just caught me at the right time. I've installed lots of these Dyna-s ignitions. One thing you need to watch is that the flyweight holes are not wollered out. When they get loose and rub on the back of the timing plate it creates steel dust. The dust gathers on the trigger magnet and will burn out the module. That's the only failures I've had from these. I've had customers doing self installs that wired them up wrong and fried the module, though.
Lately, I've been using the Mallory optical ignitions. They are less expensive than the Dyna-S and I think they kick start easier.
Curt!
<<

Frankenstein

Post Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:04 pm

Thanks for the additional info. I'll check all that out before installing.
Thanks again,
Dick

Return to Sporties