FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Need Help Identifying Oil Port

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:31 pm

Need Help Identifying Oil Port

A fella brought a 76 Ironhead over to my place to see if I could find his really bad oil leak. When engine was running, oil would pour out of the lower inside rear gear cover near the pump. I couldn't find any obvious cause for the profuse loss of oil except for the fitting in the pics below. The first pic shows where the fitting is attached to the case. The second pic is of the fitting assembly. The threaded hole in the case enters a channel to the lower rear surface of the cam chest. It is easy for oil to run right out of there since the fitting is a through hole. The fitting is also a line fitting but I can find no line for it to go to. I thought maybe the hole in the case was a breather valve hole but there is no breather valve. Then I thought it may be a type of rear chain oiler but there is no adjustment for flow on it. I am positive this is where the oil is running out but the dude said he didn't lose oil before there. My question is this.....what is this oil port for and where does it supposed to lead too ?? Thanks, Pa

<<

Neil74

Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:26 pm

Oil port

Pa, That is where the rear chain oiler goes, the oiler adjustment would be on the remote chain oiler body under the rear chain cover. there is a NPT plug on the73 I am working on to block it off.
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:43 pm

Thanks Bro ! I will pull the sprocket cover and see if the darn thing is still there. If it isn't, I will probably plug it and tell him to lube the chain often. Thanks again ! Pa

Return to Sporties