FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

1966 XLH

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

nationalzjug

Post Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:00 am

1966 XLH

Hey guys, I just bought a pretty nice sporty,she runs great,she's only got 19,000 on her,but she has a couple flaws I can't get around in my mind...she has a peanut tank and the other XLCH tins, and the clincher is she was ordered that way... I'd like to find a turtle tank, a Tillotson carb,solo seat, if anybody has knowledge of these parts and wants to part with them,let me know.....it's got a rebuilt bendix on it now(for trade)mint condition XLCH tins(also for trade and Pearl White)....anybody know any tricks for getting these fake chrome bolt covers off and the glue that's underneath?, this really drives me nuts!! I'm happy with the bike, just not the dolling up....some guys just go too far....but bone stock otrherwise....hey Pa, didn't you have a way to put an electric starter on these older guys? thanks, Paul :D
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: 1966 XLH

My 1965 XLCH was delivered with the Touring Tank and long rear fender. I left it that way. It is listed as available options in "The Legend Begins". It also lists the XLCH tank as an option for the XLH. I would keep it as it was. I'm not sure about what covers you are talking about.
<<

Kev UK

Post Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:19 pm

nationalzjug wrote:hey Pa, didn't you have a way to put an electric starter on these older guys?

If there is, I'll sure be interested. My wife's got the vintage bug and I'm looking for something suitable; she's not confident about trying the 45 and she's very short in the leg, so a bobber based on a pre-65 Sportster (I promise not to defile a stock one!) might be a way round it.
72 Ironhead, goes better than it stops!

42(?)WLC

79FLH

2005 XL1200R.... well ya gotta have a rat-bike!
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:06 am

Kev UK wrote:
nationalzjug wrote:hey Pa, didn't you have a way to put an electric starter on these older guys?

If there is, I'll sure be interested. My wife's got the vintage bug and I'm looking for something suitable; she's not confident about trying the 45 and she's very short in the leg, so a bobber based on a pre-65 Sportster (I promise not to defile a stock one!) might be a way round it.

My wife has electric start sytems for 45's. You can view her best unit at http://www.vtwinrebuild.com/html/solo_unit.html and see actual deminstratins of the unit in operation at http://www.vtwinrebuild.com/html/demonstrations.html . Accessories to compliment her newest unit can be viewed at http://www.vtwinrebuild.com/html/accessories.html .
<<

RUBONE

Post Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:06 pm

Why not make life easier and go '67 or newer so you can get one with a factory electric start! :?
Robbie
<<

Kev UK

Post Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:20 pm

RUBONE wrote:Why not make life easier and go '67 or newer so you can get one with a factory electric start! :?
Robbie

Because the events we're interested in attending specify pre-65; they obviously didn't take Sportsters into account when they drew the rules up cos as you're well aware thre's little difference between a 65 and a 66 where they're concerned.

45's are way out of our budget nowadays, and although my wife would be able to ride a kicker Sporty she wouldn't be able to start it; combination of short stature and an existing knee problem. Hence my idea of building what we Brits call a "bitsa" with a pre-65 frame fitted with a later engine. Yes I know it's cheating but what does bug me is that I could turn up at one of those events on a 100-pointer 66 Shovel and not be able to participate, but repro Pan-engined UL's seem to be OK.

It's a sore point with me that many rallies and events over here in Europe tend to ignore the AMF era, unless you count chops and bobbers; mainstream events are full of Twincams whose owners are often as bland as their bikes, yet the two biggest vintage events are pre-65. It's kinda like being in no mans land.
72 Ironhead, goes better than it stops!

42(?)WLC

79FLH

2005 XL1200R.... well ya gotta have a rat-bike!
<<

Dusty-Dave

Post Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:12 pm

If you are sure you want a Tillotson I can fix you up. But they are evil beasts. Pop Me a PM.
Dusty
<<

nationalzjug

Post Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:37 pm

Chris, they are chrome covers,glued on the headbolts,fakey shxz made to look likke all your bolts are chrome until you twist on one and discover the big wad of glue underneath...ishda... :x just saw Then Came Bronson,his a 67 XLH..they show the motorcycle alot and he at one time has to take the primary cover off, and it's a cast aluminum one,it also has the touring pipes...and for the exception of the headlight nacelle & tach it's the same as mine..Bud Elkins did a great job riding in that movie too....Dave, I'm having a hard time getting the bendix to work with the original bars internal throttle ,they were made for a tillotson...so if period correctness were important this would be the spot,'cause in 65 they still had a Linkert....shoot me a line @ barbpaul@boreal.org peace,Paul
<<

nationalzjug

Post Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:15 pm

:shock: the question was: why didn't you just buy a '67 Sporty to get the electric start?
answer: this is the bike that was in front of me for the price I wanted to pay...I also have a really nice '97 Fatboy&
I wasn't looking for a motorcycle at the time the deal just dropped in my lap(happenstance).... :D peace, Paul

Return to Sporties