FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Remanufacturing

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

rww47

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:18 pm

Remanufacturing

I have a 1986 Evo with about 390K on it, It has 20 over pistons, had the bottom helped a little, leaks oil like the Drake well and needs welding on the pinion case. However it still starts and will run the Interstate at 65 when needed. However I need to do something and I ask for some suggestions.

1) H-D remanufactured engine, removal/installation by me
2) remanufactured vs a new engine from H-D
3) new parts and work done in and out of house by machine shops and most reassembly by me

I have keep this engine running this long, have done most all the engine repairs that were require up till now. A new motorcycle is out of the question and I do not want a used one. Yes the transmission is good I just did it in 2009. Time are hard and funds are tight so at 65 years of age I need an easy way to go. Besides my 47 UL is like me old, and this Evo has kind of spoiled me.
<<

amklyde

Post Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:10 am

Re: Remanufacturing

A friend just replaced the motor in his 1990 Police machine. He bought it new, had around 130,000 miles on it. We looked at prices for a new factory motor, new S&S motor and rebuilding his. It had the common case fracture at the pinion side center, through the stud holes and down to the tappet block surface. This is difficult and time consuming to repair. The best option seemed to be a so called reman through the dealer. These motors are contracted through S&S Cycle. They do not use much of anything from your original motor, but you are required to submit it for core. He put some serious miles on before the riding season ended and is very happy with the motor.
<<

rww47

Post Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks for your input.
<<

Lee W

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:15 pm

I think you will find the reman motor to be by far the most cost effective. However, if I am not mistaken you give up any warranty on it unless it is installed by a HD dealer. (Personally, I would still opt to save the money and install it myself). I don't think any reputable shop could rebuild yours for anywhere near the price. 75% or more of the reman motor will be new parts anyway, so I don't see any reason to buy a new Evo motor.
<<

rww47

Post Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:04 pm

Thanks. You are correct as to the warranty, I can remove/install engine, flush oil tank, replace oil lines and filter. I follow the maintenance intervals right close, oil and filter every 2,500 they say 5,000 but I old school, still run M&M Oil in with fuel.

Return to Evo's Thru 99