FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

what to use to remove wheel bearing races

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

flatheadrider

Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:51 pm

what to use to remove wheel bearing races

rebuilding my 16 spoke flh mags . down to the races and don't have harley's special tool # hd j-123456789-73 . what to use ? don't want to just beat out , lip seems almost non-existant . thinking of taking to stealership just to have removed . cost of removal vs. 2 fingered puller (that opens to 1 1/2" .) anyone got an "Easyriders Tech Tip" on this ?
<<

RUBONE

Post Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: what to use to remove wheel bearing races

Run a bead of weld around each race right on the bearing surface. The races will fall right out as they shrink. And that is not an easyriders trick. It has been around since long before I started riding which predates ER by a decade at least!
Robbie
<<

flatheadrider

Post Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:08 am

Thanks RUBONE , aware of the "weld bead trick" but as all I have is a torch set up it's kinda not an option , also aware of the cut-off wheel option and that may be the last resort . Anyone else got another "trick" ?

Most of the ER tech tips were around long before the mag , they just put 'em down on paper for everyone to share . Lost my copy of #1 along time ago .
<<

fhsmith1

Post Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:56 am

I've done several sets by dremmeling out 2 notches in the aluminum just behind the bearing race lip. Notches are 180 degrees apart. Cut them just deep enough to use a punch and knock the race out from the other side. I have ran them several thousands of miles after doing this without any problems.
F
<<

jib

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:57 pm

fhsmith1 wrote:I've done several sets by dremmeling out 2 notches in the aluminum just behind the bearing race lip. Notches are 180 degrees apart. Cut them just deep enough to use a punch and knock the race out from the other side. I have ran them several thousands of miles after doing this without any problems.
F

have done just that on my fxe mags ,used a carbide die grinder in a flexi drive , after races were out i used a round file to slightly increase the size and to neaten up the job
Dude, check out that jibhead, he's crazy. Hasn't been sober for 40 years

Return to Shovels