FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

'73 FX

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Curt!

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:09 pm

'73 FX

'73 FX

Any of you giys got any photos of original 1973 FXs? I've got a customer restoring one to original and he's particularly unsure of the the gas tank decals. Anybody got a line on original decals?
Any help appreciated.
Curt!
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:15 pm

Re: '73 FX

I think bills custom or zimalady have some on ebay now
<<

Kev UK

Post Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:38 pm

I got a pair of 61757-72 sat on my desk in front of me.

bought them for my XLCH from NOS parts, turned out they're for FX. :evil:

My painter scanned 'em down to size and painted them on; don't have a pic of the decals but here's the paint job, is this the one you're looking for?
72 Ironhead, goes better than it stops!

42(?)WLC

2005 XL1200R.... well ya gotta have a rat-bike!
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:19 pm

Sorry, wrong picture.
Last edited by Chris Haynes on Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

amklyde

Post Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:57 am

I have a sales flyer from 1973, but it seems my scanner is only picking up portions of the scanned piece. I'll try to get it to do the tank area.
<<

Cotten

Post Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:23 pm

Meanwhile,

Were the stories of employee sabotage upon '73 machines, infuriated by AMF, just an "urban legend" of the day?

Or were the machines just crappy to begin with?

TIA,

...Cotten
<<

celticdodge

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:15 am

Hey,Cotton I bought a brand new 73 Superglide,1973 it was the first year the big twin came out with the dual sportster pipes and it had that weird little piece of crap gas tank that was previously pictured in this post.The gas tank was held in place with a spring in the rear and the front was held by a built in hook which slipped over bolts in the front.One night I crusing along at about 70 mph and hit a long stretch of ice.The rear wheel slide out from under me and I went down.As the bike went down I slid off and was sliding down the road like I was heading for home plate in baseball.When the bike went down it slid down so fast and spun around so hard it threw the gas tank off.After I came to a stop and realized I was still alive and able to walk I got up found the bike in the ditch grabbed a flashlight out my pack which was held in place with bungee straps ,walked up and down the road and found my gas tank.I tank back in place,hooked up the gas line ,kicked it and was off again. The seat was some kind of cheap plastic that was useless and had to be one of the cheapest crapiest excuse for a seat probably ever made.The rear caliper had a fiber bushing that held a pin to hold the caliper off the disc,this fiber bushing would wear out within a about two or three thousand miles and then the caliper woulde wobble ,shift down ,and end up grinding through the pins holding the disc brake bad pins.The factory fix which was not covered by warranty was a new bushing wade out of a nylon plastic if I remember correctly.This was crap also and then I believe the crapy little spring kit came out to fit under the caliper to hold it up and to prevent the rotor from acting like a grinding wheel.All in a really pathetic piece of crap and a shame and a disgrace to the Harley to have put out such an ignorant designed component in the first place.It was no wonder that thousands and thousands of people switched over to anything else.The warrantys were useless and most dealers had the absoulte worse attitude and really did not give a rats behind whether you bought a Harley or not and were not about to stand behind them at all except to say "so along sucker''.Harley at this time survived because of our lolyalty,it is really a miaracle,Harley did everthing at that time that they could to ruin the company.IT was after this that I opened my shop because I felt I could do better,treat people better,be honest,fair ,helpful,and because I loved the bikes.Money was not my main objective,it was love of the bikes,real old school. :D :D :D
<<

VPH-D

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:30 pm

The 73 FX had a series of horizontal lines wrapping the tank.
VPH-D
<<

celticdodge

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:54 pm

VPD-H,you are correct,the previous picture in this thread does not have the correct paint graphics,exhaust,or seat.Oh while I recall the electrical wiring of the 1973 was also crap,subject to shorting out etc.Having had one of these new It seems strange that anyone would want to restore one of the worst Harleys to have ever been pushed out the door.I am telling you that gas tank is an accident waiting to happen,trash it while you can ,I hope you will take this advice from some who lived to tell the tale.Good luck and God Bless. :D :D :D
<<

Cotten

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:32 pm

Well,
Now the conspiracy buff in me is thinking that the urban legend about employee sabotage was a cover-up for executive decisions.

But AMF sure made great bowling balls.
(I've never been into bowling, but those marbled candy-colored ones that I find in dumpsters look great in the garden.)

...Cotten
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:51 pm

Cotten wrote:Well,
Now the conspiracy buff in me is thinking that the urban legend about employee sabotage was a cover-up for executive decisions.

But AMF sure made great bowling balls.
(I've never been into bowling, but those marbled candy-colored ones that I find in dumpsters look great in the garden.)

...Cotten

The executive decision was to cut back on quality control. As soon as the new company took over they put back big time.
<<

Kev UK

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Chris Haynes wrote: As soon as the new company took over they put back big time.

Pity they've taken their eye off the ball in recent years.
72 Ironhead, goes better than it stops!

42(?)WLC

2005 XL1200R.... well ya gotta have a rat-bike!
<<

Curt!

Post Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:18 pm

Thanks for all the input, guys. The photo Chris posted in closest, but I'm told the 73 has 2 more stripes than the 76, The Amerericci was different as was the FL. Also there were matching stripes on front and rear fenders.
I guess if you own a '68, 71. 72, 74, and 75. It just seems to fit to do a 73.
Curt!
<<

Jerry Wieland

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:19 pm

A couple of years ago somebody consigned a real nice original paint low mile blue 1973 FX to a local bike shop. Last price I heard they were trying to get is $4500 and I know it did not sell. I thought about buying it but could not figure out what to do with it and I do not really like FX's.

Jerry
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:54 pm

I finally found a picture. Not the best but gives you the idea.
<<

VPH-D

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:02 pm

Chris,
Your picture is of an "early" 73 FX. The early models had the -68 tail lamp and no turn signals. My 73 FX was built in Sept 72 and is an early model. I think early vs late is machines built after Jan 1st of 1973 required the updates.

I've owned my FX since 78,when I bought it as a wreck. At 3200 miles, the lower end was gone, the crankpin appeared to never have been hardened. After going thru the machine, it has been very trustworthy.
VPH-D
<<

usa

Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:38 am

I bought a 1972 1/2 FX, Metallic Blue and it had silver horizonal lines & AMF decal, FX= kick start & had front & rear cessna aircraft disc brake calipers ( called Banana calipers) older models had a rear drum & disc combo, and mine had a single straight pipe 2 into 1. I remeber an older panhead guy calling it the ("Basketball Harley") because it said AMF, meaning at that time AMF was a sporting company, maker of sporting items, Basketballs & Bowling items. But found out AMF = American Machine Foundry & bought HD in 1969. go figure, so are 1969.s AMF? Was a very good bike until some @UCKIN SCUM stole it, in 1979. I still have a empty hole in my heart, as I had saved my money from service in Vietnam & dreamed about buying a Harley, Come to think about it, as I write this, I guess that "Dream" kept me going & catching that beautiful airline! FTA = Flying Tiger Airline. Also meant in those days in the Army, FTA = #uck the Army. Late 1970 to 1971 4th Infantry & 11th ACR Blackhorse trooper. Good bye Dinky Dow's, something like that. Now its FTW. This is for all you "Scum Thieves!" I give you my "Big Hairy Middle Finger!!!" I Hope Satan is riding my FX & is waiting for you!!!

Return to Shovels