FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

TOP END OILING

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

sprkplug

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:48 pm

TOP END OILING

I am going to split my rocker boxes and figured on using the JIMS top end internal oiling set up. Dose S & S make a simular kit?
Thanks...sprkplug

As I search prices on the internet I keep seeing refs like "JIMS and S & S but both are pricey" . I was just wondering what they were refering to...
<<

fhsmith1

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:20 pm

Re: TOP END OILING

sprkplug
I am running Crane roller tip/brass bushing rockers with an oil passage to the pushrod ball seat, plugged off the external oil lines and use S&S pushrods with their solid adapters. Had to drill a small hole in the adapters. Also restricted the oil flow into the tappet blocks. Restriction is at .042" in each tappet block. This setup has been running about 40,000 miles.
F
<<

sprkplug

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:20 pm

Thanks F, that was very helpful.
-sprkplug
<<

greybeard52

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:56 am

sprkplug, a common, and relatively inexpensive, change is to use EVO lifter blocks, hydralic lifters, cam, and pushrods. for more info see: http://www.shovelhead.us/forum/showthre ... lifters%22

You could also contact Doc68, has his own shop in Texas, he's the forum Chaplin at http://shovelhead.us/forum
<<

sprkplug

Post Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:51 pm

Thanks again. That's what I'm gonna do.
Years ago somebody told me to stay away from roller rockers. Don't know why but also planning on using them also.
I am also planning on having Flo do my heads.
Appreciate any and all grief saving comments....
-sprkplug
<<

fhsmith1

Post Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:25 pm

sprkplug
I always heard to use the rockers with bushings for the shafts but rollers for the valve stem end. It supposed to help with valve guide wear. Without rollers the rocker just drags across the valve stem face. This has to cause pressure on the valve stem pushing it against the valve guide.
F
<<

Lee W

Post Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:55 pm

Some of the first roller rockers that came out had needle bearings to run on the shaft as well as a roller tip. The needle bearings failed prematurely, and as far as I know everyone quit making them. The roller tip rocker is still widely used. fhsmith, you are right about the guide wear issue. Generally speaking, the higher the lift of the cam, the more the rocker puts side pressure on the valve. A rule of thumb that many engine builders use is to put roller tip rockers in anything with over .600" valve lift. If valve train geometry is near correct (valve stem protrusion, etc) normal production rocker arms will not cause a lot of premature wear with near stock cam lifts, but roller tips sure can't hurt. Some say the roller tip rockers are slightly noisier than stock, but my ears aren't good enough to tell the difference.

Return to Shovels