FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Need info on timer pickup

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Frankenstein

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:01 pm

Need info on timer pickup

I'm looking for information on the pickup harley used when they went pointless on their ignition. I've got one of the disks with the pickup mounted on it and I want to repurpose it. That's the latest slang for scavenging old junk for a new project, if you hadn't heard. I need to know what the 3 wires are hooked to. The colors are Red, Black, and Green. I'm figuring red is 12 volts, black is ground, and green is the pickup signal coming out. Anybody know for sure?
Much appreciated.
DD
<<

Neil74

Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:14 pm

Re: Need info on timer pickup

Hi Doc on my 82 FXE the red black and green go into theelectronic module. The black comes out to ground and a blue comes out to the top of the coil. A white comes out to the bottom of coil and another white from bottom of coil to the kill switch. Don't know what happens inside Module. Sry can't be more help.
Neil74
<<

Frankenstein

Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:29 am

Neil, Thanks for getting back, I sorta figured they must disappear into the module, in the meantime, I tried every which way but loose and couldn't get this one to work, so I'm guessing it's one of the bad ones someone replaced.
Thanks,
DD
<<

Neil74

Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:00 pm

Hey Doc, occured to me you are trying to use this for another application, if you have access to a Harley manual for78 1/2 to84 FLH. on page 8-10 there is a trouble shooting section for module and connector end from the sensor. Don't make much sense to me, but.... I'm sure it may help someone who understands electricity:) If you don't have a module I'll see if I can scare one up, maybe a little disection may help. My 82 never been apart at points yet, still riveted.
Neil74
<<

Frankenstein

Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:55 pm

Thanks Neil, I do have a Buddy with that era manuals, I'll check it out. It may have just the info. And he also has a small pile of sending units, might find a good one there.
Believe it or not, I'm working on a digital Speedo, and planned on using the pickup right at the speedo drive on a BT tranny. I've fabricated a small cup with a notch, and figure on mounting a home built sending unit right on the speedo drive unit. Meanwhile I've started writing programming for a microchip to count revolutions and stuff to put up the output on an LCD display. It's a long way from finished, but it's another challenge. Haven't tried building a speedo before..
DD
<<

Pa

Site Admin

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:12 am

Does this help ya out Doc ? Pa

<<

greybeard52

Post Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:38 am

Dick, I wouldn't hold out much hope that the ignition module isn't fried. The early ones were very sensitive, and I know of very few shovels that still have an operational one. Mine was fried by the previous owner when he tried to jump start it using a battery charger. As a side note there were two different ones, the first still used the advance weights in the cone (making for an easy change back to points), later the advance was programed into the module.
<<

Frankenstein

Post Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:50 am

Right you are, I'd about decided it was fried, any test I could think of turned out negative. Meanwhile, I ordered a new one like those used by one of the aftermarket guys, Daytona, I think it was. Thanks for the info. Much appreicated.
DD

Return to Shovels