FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

'48-57 Exhaust Review & Dixie No-Go

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Plumber

Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:18 am

Re: '48-57 Exhaust Review & Dixie-no-Go

If you look at that little sharp blip at the bottom of the chrome cover, that's where you have to take a grinder and reduce the overall length sometimes. I think having that crash bar on there makes it a completely different configuration as far as clamps. I recognize the pipe clamp (hi ya' pipe clamp), but not that crash bar connection. The clamps on my '59 also went below the sidecar mounts, I think. I'll look.
This is the way the clamps connect. They're sold as a set (VT 31-3989) parkerized, or chrome (31-0229) front clamp set. Everybody stocks them.
Last edited by Plumber on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

ohio-rider

Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: '48-57 Exhaust Review

The header down tube clamps fit nicely like this for my application. The flex cover will be a bit tight but I can "quick fix" that.

Copy of FrontHeaderClamp.JPG
Copy of FrontHeaderClamp.JPG (87.32 KiB) Viewed 3527 times

The rear header flex covers O.D. is to large to fit between the kicker cover and the cross-over tube. I'm considering shorting the flex cover, or massaging it a bit with my hammer. It won't take much. -Steve
<<

Plumber

Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:10 pm

Re: '48-57 Exhaust Review

I think the position of the (1936-69) clamps in my pic, are how they fit on my '59. Yours for a rigid frame will only fit as you have them. Looks good.
As far as shortening the bottom, since they're spiral, I'd start with a 4" grinder and work the spiral-end back, until you get it short enough, then braze the remaining raw end, then rotate the cover, so the brazed-stop is hidden from view.
<<

Plumber

Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:41 pm

Re: '48-57 Exhaust Review & Dixie No-Go

The Dixie Y doesn't work with my Corso flat-pipe and Corso headers.
The only Y-pipe that works for my '97 V-Twin frame is the Strictly From Hunger one.
This is the straight-Dixie Y trying to meet up with the already in place Corso front header, flat-pipe and rear header.
It's a no-fit. Look at the gap at the front of the Y pipe. The rear Corso header (that has not been cut off, only the hub ground down some) won't insert fully into the hub of the top-Y. The rear header barely fits into the top-Y. Bogus fit all the way around.
It's like Frankenstein meeting his mail-order bride ..... :!: sparks :!: doll-face ....a horrible encounter. Won't work no way and don't suggest me cutting off a 1/2" of the bottom of the rear header. The meet-up angles of the Dixie top-Y are not the same as the Corso top-Y. And the only Corso Y that works with my machine is:
The modified one. And it fits good too. Fully inserted rear header into top-Y. Fully inserted front header into flat-pipe. Fully inserted Y-pipe into the flat-pipe hub. Muffler lines up. Beautiful.
Last edited by Plumber on Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
<<

Plumber

Post Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: '48-57 Front Header Clamps

Here's some more front header clamp positions:
The inline position of the clamps at the lower level.
Here's the top mounted position I think amklyde referred to. Which one is correct? Both?
<<

amklyde

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:53 am

Chris,I thought the pipe covers were only fitted to the deluxe models. I don't believe police or sidecar bikes were equipped with the covers either. On another note, when did the factory use the male outlet s-pipes?
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:23 am

amklyde wrote:Chris,I thought the pipe covers were only fitted to the deluxe models. I don't believe police or sidecar bikes were equipped with the covers either. On another note, when did the factory use the male outlet s-pipes?

That is right. But I guess the MoCo just dressed up all the bikes it used for advertising photos. In fact I have photos that show sidecar bikes with two piece flex covers to give clearance to sidecar mounts.

Male outlet "S" pipe?

Plumber. If Corso's pipes are famously incorrect why would you think it would mate up with one that is made correctly? I used to sell Corso's pipes exclusively. But after a number of customer complaints and problems of my own I no longer stock them. Corso lied to me and other dealers about problems with his stuff. I do have a bunch of leftovers I would gladly sell at my cost. :mrgreen:
<<

Plumber

Post Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:39 am

Plumber. If Corso's pipes are famously incorrect why would you think it would mate up with one that is made correctly?

Because with repop Knuckle and Pan, you'll try anything that might get you back on the road again.
So, there is another fact found and illustrated:
You cannot mix Dixie (Kick-Start M/C Parts) '48-57 4-piece exhausts, with Corso exhausts, but you can try.
Just buy two compete exhaust systems, fit them, send back the system you can't use and pay a re-stock fee.
<<

ohio-rider

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:26 am

Am I dreaming?
Or is there about 2 days worth of conversation missing here? The conversation was getting a bit warm but I didn't think it was at the point of getting the hook yet. Did I miss something? -Steve
<<

john HD

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:41 am

guys,

That is right. But I guess the MoCo just dressed up all the bikes it used for advertising photos. In fact I have photos that show sidecar bikes with two piece flex covers to give clearance to sidecar mounts.

will this photo help the discussion along?

supposedly unmodified '55 FL base police model with siren and first aid kit. the bike does not have the equipment for a radio.

looks like the clamp is mounted low.

john
Attachments
pan pipe detail.jpg
pan pipe detail.jpg (73.26 KiB) Viewed 3363 times
Last edited by john HD on Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

john HD

Post Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:43 am

two more shots, sorry i do not have any close ups of the pipes.

john
Attachments
133-3363_IMG (Small).JPG
133-3363_IMG (Small).JPG (57.72 KiB) Viewed 3356 times
133-3342_IMG (Small).JPG
133-3342_IMG (Small).JPG (87.61 KiB) Viewed 3354 times
<<

amklyde

Post Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:26 am

I did a quick look thru Mr. Palmers book and found a couple of relevent pictures. There is a 52 prototype that is shown without covers and it looks like the lower mount position is used. Maybe it is just the knucks that used both positions, see pic on page 572.
Previous

Return to Pans