S&S Flywheels

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Pooka

Post Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:00 pm

S&S Flywheels

I have been told that the older (pre 1980) S&S Flywheels,
# 32-2219, 4 1/2" stroke, that are for the early Pan's '48-'53,
will also take the later Pan timkin style pinion shaft and sprocket shaft.
Any one ever heard this ? Or know any thing about this ?
I CELERITER TEMPUS DEFICIT.........
CARPE DIEM
<<

panic

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:36 am

Re: S&S Flywheels

Not familiar with the part number - S&S changed their part numbers every 2 years for a long time.
However, this is how they group as pairs:
1936-54
1955-71
1972-81
1981-*

Early roller definitely does not fit left Timken.
<<

Pooka

Post Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:29 pm

panic wrote:Not familiar with the part number - S&S changed their part numbers every 2 years for a long time.
However, this is how they group as pairs:
1936-54
1955-71
1972-81
1981-*

Early roller definitely does not fit left Timken.

Thanks Panic,
Yup,I know the timkin shafts and rollers are not inter-changeable.
But where I was going with this is are the tapers on the ends of the shafts, where they go into the wheel the same ?
As for the part # 32-2219 , that is stamped on my flywheels,and is still listed in S&S as a working part number.
I have a chance to get a mached set of '55 cases. I would like to put my S&S flywheels in them.
CARPE DIEM
<<

amklyde

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:53 am

The pinion shaft taper is the same, the sprocket shaft is not. You can send the flywheel to S&S and they will recut the taper for a reasonable fee.
<<

Pooka

Post Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:22 pm

amklyde wrote:The pinion shaft taper is the same, the sprocket shaft is not. You can send the flywheel to S&S and they will recut the taper for a reasonable fee.

Recut (taper) a new sprocket shaft or rebore the flywheel ? :?
And thanks for the pinion shaft info.
CARPE DIEM
<<

krazy loop

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:06 pm

You can always call S&S direct, ask for technical support, give them the numbers off your wheels, and ask them. They will tell you what you need to know and what can be done.

BTW, STD and Andrews are other good companies that will help you with their products as well.
New Knuckleheads? Thank, you, Jesus!!
<<

Pooka

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:20 pm

krazy loop wrote:You can always call S&S direct, ask for technical support, give them the numbers off your wheels, and ask them. They will tell you what you need to know and what can be done.

BTW, STD and Andrews are other good companies that will help you with their products as well.

Thanks, as I get futher along into this project, I have found more of what fits what.
A lot of the parts from my '50 will move to the later cases, and the later cases will have to be modified to
take my oil pump and Shovel cylinders. And the beat goes on. 8)
My new cases came in today. :D
Slober, drool, but they will have to wait till after the first of the year. :cry:
CARPE DIEM
<<

krazy loop

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:13 pm

Maybe I missed something but why do you need to modify your cases for shovel cylinders? They should just bolt on. For a Pan lower you will have to make an oil line to feed the shovel rocker boxes. A good place to get oil from if you don't have 63 - 65 cases is the oil pump pressure sending unit hole. You can get a brass Tee fitting, etc., and some steel brake line from the auto parts and make up everything you need basically with a hacksaw and a wrench or two, and still have an operable sending unit. This assumes you have a stock pan cast iron oil pump.
New Knuckleheads? Thank, you, Jesus!!
<<

Pooka

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:59 pm

krazy loop wrote:Maybe I missed something but why do you need to modify your cases for shovel cylinders? They should just bolt on. For a Pan lower you will have to make an oil line to feed the shovel rocker boxes. A good place to get oil from if you don't have 63 - 65 cases is the oil pump pressure sending unit hole. You can get a brass Tee fitting, etc., and some steel brake line from the auto parts and make up everything you need basically with a hacksaw and a wrench or two, and still have an operable sending unit. This assumes you have a stock pan cast iron oil pump.

O.K., yeah, I left out the part about the STD Pan heads.
The return in the cylinders has been lowered, because of the stroker pistons.
And the oil pump is a Shovel with Evo innards.
With my old cam cover I drilled and taped off the top of the rear of the cover, and ran a braided s/s Shovel feed line to the rear rocker box. It was a tight as a banjo string, but it worked !
But that was when it was a Chubble.
Now going back to a Pan, and later cases.
And doing my best not make this as had as Chinese arithmetic ! :mrgreen:
CARPE DIEM

Return to Pans