FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Does someone have a good source for rebuilt Linkerts?

Moderators: Curt!, Pa

<<

Tony Bones

Post Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:18 pm

Does someone have a good source for rebuilt Linkerts?

Evening. I'm looking for a rebuilt M-74B from someone who really knows their stuff
with these carbs. I'm currently running a Dellorto on my Pan here and am just not happy
with it. I've rebuilt it twice and have tried everything I can with the damn thing. It runs
OK sometimes but is a bear to start and the bike just seems to hate it.

Any recommendations to a reputable source will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony

<<

Chris Haynes

Post Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:59 pm

Re: Does someone have a good source for rebuilt Linkerts?

Why go backwards when you can go forward? Sure Linkerts are simple to maintain but performance and fuel economy are not in their vocabulary.
I recently say a nicely built Knucklehead chopper that had a bone stock, late model Harley-Davidson CV carb on it. Easiest starting Knuck I have ever seen. Good mileage and good performance too. Or you can go to eBay a pick up an M 74B for $100.00-$200.00 and spend another $250.00 making it right for todays fuel.
Cotten, any thoughts here?
<<

Curt!

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:34 pm

Looks to me like the bike just cries out for a S&S Super B. It might not start as well as a CV but it will make up the difference with performance and looks. my .02
Curt!
<<

Cotten

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:50 pm

Hey Chris!

Which is an easier start: One kick with a Linkert, or One kick with a Honda carb?

Are you suggesting that an enthusiast depreciate his vintage machine by spending a few hundred on bastard modern hardware, rather than to appreciate his machine for the same investment on the real thing?

Funny how our forefathers were proud of their fuel mileage....did the carbs mysteriously change change themselves somehow, or only the fuel? ...How much over ~40 mpg does a vintage enthusiast need?

Time marches on, and technology shall always improve,... but...
If a rider requires spaceage organ transplants, why even own a vintage machine?

Referring back to Tony's original post:
There is no such thing as a bad carb (well, maybe Tillotsons..), so your DelOrto should be manageable. Instinct tells me you have extraneous variables, such as a vacuum leak. Have you pressuretested?: http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

Sorry to try to answer a question with a half-dozen more questions, but that is the nature of vintage motorcycling today.

...Cotten
(Disclaimer: Liberty does not sell carbs, only service.
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:48 pm

"Are you suggesting that an enthusiast depreciate his vintage machine by spending a few hundred on bastard modern hardware, rather than to appreciate his machine for the same investment on the real thing?"

Cot,
Did you look at his bike? I don't see much of it that is in any way original. It is a 30 year spread of parts. Modified everything. I hardly think upgrading to a modern carburetor would depreciate this bike. He wants better performance and less trouble, not a restoration.
<<

Cotten

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:10 am

Chris,

I did not call Anthony's machine anything but "vintage", which is a very loosely used term, I know. I could also call it "traditional" and "nostalgic".

The simple economic truth is that a modern carb loses a lot of its value as soon as you unseal the package, and the chances of it becoming sought after by collectors are slim to nil.
On the other hand, Linkerts, as common as they are, can only go up in value as years go by. And nostalgic machines outfitted with them shall reflect that.

And you imply that Linkerts are troublesome.
How ironic that Harleys and Indians became such icons of American motoring if an intrinsic component was "trouble"! History paints them as enduring for for three and a half decades, forgiving of incredible abuse, and having only met their demise because of manufacturing costs.

Although I must often preach "correct"-ness for vintage machines, down deep I know every one of them should be personalized. Motorcycling is not preserved by preserving motorcycles. So I'll defend to the death anyone's right to hang a piece of a flying saucer on his Silent Greyfellow if he wants to.

If you need modern, go modern.

...Cotten
<<

amklyde

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:36 am

Anthony, You have a beautiful machine. As much as I love linkerts, an M model carb may look a little out of place on your machine. A Super E would be a good choice if you can live with the air cleaner. If someone would manufacture an air filter with a vintage look for early machines I think the E would be a more popular replacement choice.
<<

Jerry Wieland

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:08 am

Tony

Nice clean looking bike. I think any carb on there would look nice although I prefer Linkerts myself. Cotton can rebuild one for you probably.

Just curious as to why you mounted the bottom half of the shock 180 degrees from original?

Jerry
<<

Tony Bones

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:58 pm

Thanks for the kind words. The bike is slowly regressing to the early 70's chopper
it tells me it wants to be. I know Linkerts weren't the only carb. being run back
then, but they were one of many. I found a good Linkert core and will work from it,
along with eventually switching out the few other parts that aren't correct to that
era. Is this all ridiculous? Absolutely. Am I having fun with it? Definitely.

I appreciate everyone's input and thanks.
<<

Cotten

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:13 pm

Doh! Sorry I missed addressing Chris's direct question about:
"Or you can go to eBay a pick up an M 74B for $100.00-$200.00 and spend another $250.00 making it right for todays fuel."

No doubt it might take that much to correct an eBay cob, but the part about "making it right for todays fuel" should be little more than installing a fuel-proof float. That's less than 20% of the average total (Gosh I hope I did not break any draconian rules about posting prices.)

If you get slipped a rubber floatvalve, or the paint washes off, that's only typical of the industry; Like glass beads in the idle bleeds, or shops that refuse to install a simple Helicoil.

....Cotten
Another disclaimer: My insurance company has me just about starved out, so Liberty may soon be only honoring established accounts.
<<

59panman

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:25 pm

Tony,

Cotten rebuilt my Linkert M74B for my 59 and I could not be happier. I went riding with a couple of friends and they commented on how she purrs. It usually is a 1 kick start as well. I would buy a Linkert, and to be sure, have a professional like Cotten rebuild it. I also am waiting for Cotten to finish my 2nd Linkert which I will keep for a spare as I will never sell my Pan.

Mark
<<

indianut

Post Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:42 am

While I also think the Linkert works fine, and the SS E MAY be too much for a stock 74, I do like it on my Pan. All you do is get a B Style enrichner and make a backing plate. Also you can take the springs, and even the pump rod out to let the throttle move easily, then make an arm for the carb and run STOCK internal controls. I have run this E on my Pan this way for 15 years.
Attachments
BW1 013.jpg
BW1 013.jpg (90.25 KiB) Viewed 5011 times
BW1 008.jpg
BW1 008.jpg (115.99 KiB) Viewed 5012 times
<<

amklyde

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:24 am

That's what I'm talking about, stock look with a modern carb for the serious rider. I think it would be a good idea for someone to put a conversion kit together for a bolt on installation, as most people do not have the fabrication skills that Danny has. Danny, what do you get for fuel mileage? My 65 pan with the stock M74B is always in the 33-35mpg range. If a guy could get something closer to 45mpg the carb would pay for itself in no time.
<<

indianut

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:13 pm

Kyle,
It's the only way I can live with the S&S! Really though that backing plate could be made on the Bandsaw, Drillpress and sanding belt! The trick is just to use the B Model enrichner, then you don't need S&S's air filter at all. Also it works just fine without the accel. pump. The best mileage I get, either in town or on the road is 35. My buddy on his 69 FLH gets exactly the same. My other buddy on his 91 Evo gets 42. I don't know why, except me and the other 74 run the .0295 int. jet and the 80 runs the .026?!?! All the bikes RUN great. I just don't question it and live with the 35MPG.
<<

Cotten

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:18 am

Has anyone stopped to wonder why Pans got ~40 mpg when they were new?

....Cotten
<<

Curt!

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:26 am

Cotten
My guess would be fuel quality. My truck got a lot better gas mileage 10 years ago. This new ROB gas they are selling us is crap. Oh, the days of 100 octane gasoline.
Curt!
<<

Skip

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:01 pm

I have been running 110 octane for 2 seasons now and still only get 30 to 35 mpg....but they are a fast 30 to 35 miles....Skip
<<

panacea

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:28 pm

The gasoline in my area is required by law to be blended with 10% alcahol, so if you figure you lose 1/3 of your milage on that 10%, that only accounts for about one MPG. I think your fuel consumption is affected more by your driving habits and your state of tune than what kind of gas you burn. I did notice my last tank made the exhaust unusually stinky. Mike
<<

Chris Haynes

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:34 pm

No, I just wish they would get 55 MPG like my Evo.
<<

panacea

Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:11 pm

EVO's do like to run lean. I'll have to check my mileage now that the CV is all dialed in. This could be one of the last 60 degree weekends up here. Mike
Next

Return to Pans